Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Ferguson

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by v-girl View Post
    Deleted. My thoughts don't matter on this.
    Everyone's thoughts matter.
    Tara
    Married 20 years to MD/PhD in year 3 of MFM fellowship. SAHM to five wonderful children (#6 due in August), a sweet GSD named Bella, a black lab named Toby, and 1 guinea pig.

Comment

Originally posted by GrayMatterWife View Post
      There was a storekeeper on the news this evening, standing the middle of his utterly destroyed store, quietly crying, asking: "How am I going to feed my girls now?"

This is Ferguson. This. They deserved so much better.
      I saw that. So sad
      Tara
      Married 20 years to MD/PhD in year 3 of MFM fellowship. SAHM to five wonderful children (#6 due in August), a sweet GSD named Bella, a black lab named Toby, and 1 guinea pig.

Comment

Originally posted by Pollyanna View Post
        Everyone's thoughts matter.
        I fully agree.
        Kris

Comment

Definitely a great case for cop chest cams regardless of what you think of the whole case
          Married to a newly minted Pediatric Rad, momma to a sweet girl and a bunch of (mostly) cute boy monsters.

Comment

Originally posted by SoonerTexan View Post
            Definitely a great case for cop chest cams regardless of what you think of the whole case
            +1

Comment

So, a 12 year old boy was shot here in Cleveland for brandishing an air soft gun with the orange tip removed. For those that haven't seen the video, he was shot within seconds of a police car pulling up to the area after the call from a citizen reported that a kid was brandishing a weapon in the park that was probably fake. They wanted the police to check it out. The initial report by the police says the kid was 20, with a crew of other guys sitting in a park shelter and that he approached the police when they told him to drop the weapon and lie down. The video of the area shows the kid playing in the park alone for 5 minutes or so-- granted playing at being a gangster -- before the police arrive quickly and kill him within 3 seconds the of videotaped material.

I'm posting because the response from the community has been peaceful protest. Last night there was a meeting about gun violence and police relationships in the community. I wonder if this approach -- which is obviously the one we all prefer -- will yield any results, get any national coverage, or gain any traction to change problems in the community.

The cops were immediately put on leave and the family was immediately included in the investigation, including owning up to mistakes made. Maybe that helped?

I've been watching John Adams (the HBO miniseries) and the parallels to the Boston Massacre and other poor relations between the law (the British soldiers) and the citizens (the poor communities) are interesting. Not necessarily parallel, but there are similarities that could bring on an interesting conversation if mixed with the appropriate amount of wine and people.
              Angie
              Gyn-Onc fellowship survivor - 10 years out of the training years; reluctant suburbanite
              Mom to DS (18) and DD (15) (and many many pets)

"Where are we going - and what am I doing in this handbasket?"

Comment

I will be surprised if it makes the news like Ferguson. Unfortunately, positive type news (even though this is a tragedy turned into something positive) doesn't get an audience.

FWIW - I did hear about this(through my news outlets)...about a cop shooting a kid with a "toy gun" but nothing about the community,PD and parents.
                Finally - we are finished with training! Hello real world!!

Comment

I heard about the shooting too, but that was basically the end of the story on the local news in DC.

Comment

I cannot believe this crap is happening again. I just don't understand.

Comment

Working...
                    X