Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Wrong?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wrong?

http://www.msn.com/en-us/entertainme...wP?ocid=HPCDHP

In my opinion, wrong as far as the dog is concerned. I don't think the little boy is responsible, but surely his mother must realize this is not so great for the dog. No matter what her political opinion is, she must surely be intelligent enough to know this can harm a dog.
    Luanne
    wife, mother, nurse practitioner

"You have not converted a man because you have silenced him." (John, Viscount Morely, On Compromise, 1874)

Probably not great for the dog, but the dog didn't move either... And it is a big ol' lab, not an ankle biter.
    Kris

Comment

^ this, exactly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      Wife, support system, and partner-in-crime to PGY-3 (IM) and spoiler of our 11 y/o yellow lab

sigpic

Comment

I have been thinking way too much about kid/dog stuff lately as we prepare to add a new pup to he household. Fact is, every dog has a bite threshold. Today, having a kid stand on her did not trigger this easy going lab. Tomorrow though, maybe a firework goes off or a strange bearded man walks by, and she goes over threshold and snaps at the kid. Who is at fault? The adult who let it happen, absolutely. Sweet dog, stupid thing to photograph.
        Alison

Comment

I don't think the whole thing is wrong, though definitely not the best thing for the kid of the dog. Probably not a good idea for her to post a picture, given her public status.
          Allison - professor; wife to a urology attending; mom to baby girl E (11/13), baby boy C (2/16), and a spoiled cat; knitter and hoarder of yarn; photographer

Comment

Originally posted by Cassy
            Plus it's just going to reinforce to the kid that doing that is completely ok. He very well might end up hurting that dog, or another dog, or a human in the future because his mom gave him so much praise for doing it this time.
            Exactly.
            Wife of a surgical fellow; Mom to a busy toddler girl and 5 furballs (2 cats, 3 dogs)

Comment

I only think it's in poor taste because of her fame. In my backwoodsy vet drawl, it's a lab. The dog probably loved the attention and was hoping some food would fall.
              Mom of 3, Veterinarian

Comment

What Cassy said. And I hate dogs.

Heidi
                Heidi, PA-S1 - wife to an orthopaedic surgeon, mom to Ryan, 17, and Alexia, 11.

Comment

Was it wrong when Ellen posted a similar pic? http://conservatives4palin.com/2015/...nding-dog.html

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
                  Veronica
                  Mother of two ballerinas and one wild boy

Comment

Yep, still holds. Sweet dog, stupid photograph. It's a slightly better photo though since the dog's long-suffering but not-pained expression makes it easier to see that he was tolerating the situation well. Also, if Sarah's FB status had been more of the "Geez, kids and their goofy ideas!" tone instead of the "Yay for always stepping on anything or anyone in your path!" tone it might have gone down as smoothly as Ellen's tweet. I dunno.
                    Alison

Comment

Funny how when someone from one political party does something wrong, instead of issuing a mea culpa, points a finger at the opposing party and says "well they did it too, so that makes them even more evil." What happened to taking responsibility for one's actions instead of shifting the blame to others? BTW, nothing wrong with us pointing out that both sides have done something - it serves as a point of information and a basis for further discussion.

I am hopeful that Trig's use of the dog prompted further discussion between him and Sarah about not repeating the behavior instead of the New Age-y "letting stuff get in your way" crap. Not sure how severe his case of DS is, but he's unlikely to understand such an abstract concept about overcoming obstacles. And, again depending upon his level of DS, may try to repeat the behavior or escalate it further or sneakily do it when no one is looking. Better to say "no" right from the get-go.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                      Event coordinator, wife and therapist to a peds attending

Comment

Yeah, blame shifting is par for the course.

FWIW, Ellen's post didn't laud the child for stepping on the dog. She may have thought it wasn't a good idea. Her tweet said, "Well, that's one way to reach the sink." That's hardly a shining endorsement for stepping on people or dogs.

Palin is an idiot. She was an idiot. She will always be an idiot.

Heidi
                        Heidi, PA-S1 - wife to an orthopaedic surgeon, mom to Ryan, 17, and Alexia, 11.

Comment

No blame based on political beliefs, both are wrong.
                          Luanne
                          wife, mother, nurse practitioner

"You have not converted a man because you have silenced him." (John, Viscount Morely, On Compromise, 1874)

Comment

IMG_5071.JPG

I posted this picture of DS when he was 2yo (so, 7 years ago ... I can't find the old post). I distinctly remember lots of you making, "Aw, cute" and "LOL" comments at that time...

Interesting.
                            ~Jane

-Wife of urology attending.
                            -SAHM to three great kiddos (2 boys, 1 girl!)

Comment

And now I just made the mistake of venturing over to Palin's FB page to see the original post and holy crap...this woman is a complete shitbag. Her follow up post from the original one is nothing but a sniveling, snide, sarcastic rant to people making a good point about the appropriateness of a SIX YEAR OLD BOY WHO APPEARS TO BE OF NORMAL WEIGHT WHICH WOULD MEAN, oh I don't know, approximately 45-50 or so pounds (right? That's what Google said), standing on what also appears to be a labrador who seems to be on the smaller side. Oh and she originally referred to her "beloved family pet" as a stepping stone. Way to win friends and influence people, Sarah! You sure are an inspiration.
                              Last edited by WolfpackWife; 01-05-2015, 01:42 PM.
                              Wife, support system, and partner-in-crime to PGY-3 (IM) and spoiler of our 11 y/o yellow lab

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X