Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

WWYD? Forcing Treatment

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WWYD? Forcing Treatment

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/con...Su?ocid=HPCDHP

I hope I never have to be in a position to choose between forcing treatment on someone I love or not. Professionally I know she has a really great chance of survival, but I can't imagine being the person to hang that chemo.
    Luanne
    wife, mother, nurse practitioner

"You have not converted a man because you have silenced him." (John, Viscount Morely, On Compromise, 1874)

I honestly cannot believe that her mother is okay with her not getting treatment. Who gives a shit about "toxins" when you're DEAD? My brother's good buddy from HS had Hodgkins Lymphoma, was treated (and aren't treatments for this not nearly as bad as others?), has been in remission for 25 years, is married and has a family. How can someone give up that kind of potential? We are BLESSED to live in such a time that a once fatal disease has such a high cure rate.

Comment

I think child welfare should be allowed to override the parents decision with the best information available at this time. Unfortunately, I think the psychological ramifications of forcing someone into a medical treatment will ripple in unpredictable ways. The pain of those psychological effects could be bigger than cancer in the long run. It's lose-lose situation. We have such limited information.
      -Ladybug

Comment

This is interesting to me. If she killed a person, she could be tried as an adult. But refuse medical care and you're not an adult?

I think she should get treatment but the varying age ranges for different topics bothers me.
        Married to a Urology Attending! (that is an understated exclamation point)
        Mama to C (Jan 2012), D (Nov 2013), and R (April 2016). Consulting and homeschooling are my day jobs.

Comment

WWYD? Forcing Treatment

This case is so bizarre. I'm internally struggling with it. At 17, you should probably have the choice, but it's clearly in her best interest to be treated.

My liberal brain is hurting on this one. If she was really likely to die, I'd say that she should be able to refuse treatment. With an 85% cure rate though, well, I hope she'll have time in therapy to figure it out and grow up.

Heidi
          Heidi, PA-S1 - wife to an orthopaedic surgeon, mom to Ryan, 17, and Alexia, 11.

Comment

She needs treatment and so does mom. As I understand the mom has a great distrust of the medical community and actively allowed her daughter to miss appointments. Of course the girl is going to be wary of treatment if her mom is filling her head with an anti-med slant. She's 17, she's not even remotely capable of understanding what she is doing to herself by turning down treatment. Her mom said they will get her treatment if her daughter starts to feel sick, except by then it will be too late. Sometimes someone needs to step in and say, "you're wrong mama". They need lots of love and support.
            Tara
            Married 20 years to MD/PhD in year 3 of MFM fellowship. SAHM to five wonderful children (#6 due in August), a sweet GSD named Bella, a black lab named Toby, and 1 guinea pig.

Comment

I never understand cases like this where parents refuse medical care for cancer. I want to be compassionate and 'get' that they are afraid of toxins or don't trust doctors or whatever, but I can't find it in me. This girl has a 100% chance of death without treatment. The state needs to be able to step in and take over. It's just how I feel.

Kris
              ~Mom of 5, married to an ID doc
              ~A Rolling Stone Gathers No Moss

Comment

I'm guessing it's the "sometimes cancer miraculously heals without medical intervention" articles floating around (most recently seen on fb). This misinformation enrages me. Okay, this happened to someone out there, that doesn't mean we should throw out all evidence-based cancer treatments!
                Wife to PGY4 & Mother of 3.

Comment

Working...
                X