Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Should college be free/almost free

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Should college be free/almost free

If a high school student is successful (makes good grades....some academic cutoff) should post-secondary education be free/almost free?

I ask this question because in part of Europe it is. Instead of tax dollars going to fund war after war, the money helps to support college educations for young people. Imagine what your life would be like if you didn't have to worry about your student loan debt/paying for your children to go to college. What if we invested our tax money in educating our young people?

I'm all for this.
    ~Mom of 5, married to an ID doc
    ~A Rolling Stone Gathers No Moss

I agree that we should invest in our future. I do think there should be some sort of "payback". Not financially tide or military but maybe community service and grades. Really take this time to make the young student educated and committed to the community that has invested in them.
    Brandi
    Wife to PGY3 Rads also proud mother of three spoiled dogs!! Some days it is hectic, but I wouldn't trade this for anything.

Comment

No.

Comment

Originally posted by GrayMatterWife View Post
        No.
        lol [MENTION=1247]GrayMatterWife[/MENTION]

You're a woman of few words on this topic!

Comment

Originally posted by PrincessFiona View Post
          lol [MENTION=1247]GrayMatterWife[/MENTION]

You're a woman of few words on this topic!

No.

Nuh uh.

No way.

Forget it.

Screw that.

Negative.

Negatory.

Hell no.

F**k no.

Just...no. I am tired of entitlements. So, so tired. I am not worried about paying for my kids' education. I am worried that I will be saddled with paying for everyone else's sh*t.

Comment

I'm undecided. I think it should be more reasonable, for sure, but I don't really wanna pay for someone to get a theater degree. And, it's not that I don't value the arts. I'm just not thinking that's a necessary degree.

And, I'm not sure what the cut off is for paying. I don't really want to pay for the dipshits, while my kid busts his ass. What's the incentive for busting your ass?

I see the value in it, but I'm undecided.

Heidi
            Heidi, PA-S1 - wife to an orthopaedic surgeon, mom to Ryan, 17, and Alexia, 11.

Comment

LOL
              I love it when you post on these issues.

Comment

Originally posted by GrayMatterWife View Post
                No.
                I'm surprised I'm saying this, but I agree that tax dollars shouldn't go toward college for everyone. What if someone starts college then drops out? Are my tax dollars going toward that? I feel like paying for college (either with parental support or loans) helps ensure you have some skin in the game.

Comment

Originally posted by Vanquisher View Post
                  I'm undecided. I think it should be more reasonable, for sure, but I don't really wanna pay for someone to get a theater degree. And, it's not that I don't value the arts. I'm just not thinking that's a necessary degree.

And, I'm not sure what the cut off is for paying. I don't really want to pay for the dipshits, while my kid busts his ass. What's the incentive for busting your ass?

Heidi
                  In Europe, the dipshits can't really study. There are cutoffs to get into degree programs. I suppose some dipshits might get in ... but they often don't make it very far.

Comment

Originally posted by OrionGrad View Post
                    I'm surprised I'm saying this, but I agree that tax dollars shouldn't go toward college for everyone. What if someone starts college then drops out? Are my tax dollars going toward that? I feel like paying for college (either with parental support or loans) helps ensure you have some skin in the game.
                    But [MENTION=1924]OrionGrad[/MENTION] wouldn't it be more worthwhile to invest in the future of our country than in sending our military off to fight in someone else's civil war (for example). Some people might drop out and that sucks, but in the grand scheme of things people would start their lives post college without being saddled with debt. They'd have skin in the game because they'd have to pay taxes that would go towards a national education fund.

Comment

But does a kid who is not working and going to school really pay much In taxes anyway? I guess I'd rather the money not go to wars or to free college for all. I'd rather keep more of that money in my pocket with lower taxes.
                      I can't believe I think this, since I consider myself super liberal -- the free college thing is just something I can't wrap my head around.
                      I guess I'd be more ok with it if you had to do something in return, like agree to X years of community service or something.

Comment

Originally posted by Vanquisher View Post

Heidi
                        [MENTION=1013]Vanquisher[/MENTION] This is pretty much where I'm at with it, too. (Testing out the @mentions for the first time. Let's see if this works...)

Comment

What Heidi said.
                          ~shacked up with an ob/gyn~

Comment

Oh, I don't think it's an either/or proposition with college or military. I'd love to see defense and military spending deceased dramatically!

Heidi
                            Heidi, PA-S1 - wife to an orthopaedic surgeon, mom to Ryan, 17, and Alexia, 11.

Comment

No, I don't think it should be free. More affordable yes, but not free.
                              Luanne
                              wife, mother, nurse practitioner

"You have not converted a man because you have silenced him." (John, Viscount Morely, On Compromise, 1874)

Comment

Working...
                              X