Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Is technology making humans less sociable?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is technology making humans less sociable?

I say yes. I am so sick of sitting down to have a conversation with someone and then having them play on their phone to answer text messages the second that their phone beeps, etc. To me, it feels like people have trouble staying in the moment of a conversation. Also, I find most social media (like FB) really takes away from truly being social. It's so superficial. I hardly use it anymore. I personally crave "real" social interactions.

My daughter would argue just the opposite though. She feels like with texting she can be in constant contact with her friends. She has a wide range of social contacts via FB and she uses FB to plan times to get together, etc. She also uses it to keep up with news, etc.

Do you feel like technology is a boon or bust when it comes to social behavior?

Kris
    ~Mom of 5, married to an ID doc
    ~A Rolling Stone Gathers No Moss

I see both sides.

We have a family rule of no electronics during face-to-face meals. Checking when a text comes in is fine, but sitting there and having an entire text convo at the table is not cool. If it significantly interferes with a face-to-face interaction, we're being rude to the people we're with.

I'm waaaaaaay more likely to socialize via electronics. It's like being at a buffet where I can pick and choose which interactions I want to have and with whom.

Even that is too much sometimes, though. When I go into full hermit mode, I don't even return text messages for days at a time.

Comment

I think it has changed the way we socialize. I keep up with a much larger circle of friends via FB, forums, texting, etc. But I miss getting together for a cup of coffee/inviting people to dinner, etc. I'd like to do more of that.
      Wife and #1 Fan of Attending Adult & Geriatric Psychiatrist.

Comment

Originally posted by diggitydot View Post
        When I go into full hermit mode, I don't even return text messages for days at a time.
        This is me. Completely 10000%.
        I loathe talking on the phone as well. I've always hated phone calls.
        ~shacked up with an ob/gyn~

Comment

It makes me more social, I think. I am in closer contact with family and friends that I've moved away from since Facebook. I am also someone that wouldn't chat on the phone with a gun to my head. I feel very awkward on the phone and usually get off as quickly as possible. Having written forms of communication that work instantly has helped me. Before, I was a letter writer, though!

We try to limit phones at dinner too. The usual offender is DH; checking his emails at the end of a busy day seems to take hours.

My son at college texts me usually every day - something dumb like "morning" or "I ordered a pizza". He hasn't ever just called. I usually try to skype every week or so though. He is like me - not a phone person. He also has no social media accounts (well, he has reddit, but I'm not on that much and it's so different). He feels Facebook, Twitter and Instagram are a waste of time. I'm lucky for texts with him!

Angie
          Angie
          Gyn-Onc fellowship survivor - 10 years out of the training years; reluctant suburbanite
          Mom to DS (18) and DD (15) (and many many pets)

"Where are we going - and what am I doing in this handbasket?"

Comment

Originally posted by diggitydot View Post

Even that is too much sometimes, though. When I go into full hermit mode, I don't even return text messages for days at a time.
            Me too.
            [MENTION=953]Sheherezade[/MENTION] I'm the same way about talking on the phone. There are very few people I'll talk on the phone with!

Kris

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
            ~Mom of 5, married to an ID doc
            ~A Rolling Stone Gathers No Moss

Comment

This is how I found you lovely ladies!!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
              wife to PGY1 GS and two little girls, and 1 annoying dog

Comment

Working...
              X