Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

#BlackLivesMatter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I feel truly heartbroken. When will we stop killing each other. Everything that has happened this week is horrific. I don't think the police shootings will take away from the topic of institutionalized racism. I think this may highlight it. What I see on social media today is an outcry against racism and all shootings. Voices are speaking out to help us find a way to come together. I hope we can find a way to let this be a beginning. Somehow.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    ~Mom of 5, married to an ID doc
    ~A Rolling Stone Gathers No Moss

Comment

I see a lot of people shifting the discussion to police lives mattering (which of course they do!!!!) and of course the people who don't believe in institutional racism now don't have to confront it because they can talk about this instead.
      Married to a Urology Attending! (that is an understated exclamation point)
      Mama to C (Jan 2012), D (Nov 2013), and R (April 2016). Consulting and homeschooling are my day jobs.

Comment

Originally posted by TulipsAndSunscreen View Post
        I see a lot of people shifting the discussion to police lives mattering (which of course they do!!!!) and of course the people who don't believe in institutional racism now don't have to confront it because they can talk about this instead.
        This is what I'm seeing on Facebook, too. 😔

Comment

Same. Justification of Sterling, deafening silence regarding Castile, and now impassioned posts about LEOs, respect, etc.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Comment

Same. Justification of Sterling, deafening silence regarding Castile, and now impassioned posts about LEOs, respect, etc.
            Devil's advocate...how would you feel if you replaced "police officer" with "doctor?" What if there were entire movements against doctors that might have good intentions, but painted a profession--ultimately dedicated to helping people and requires a ton of personal sacrifice--with the same broad, ugly brush that law enforcement has been painted with? It's not in the realm of impossible. I wouldn't be surprised if we get there someday.

In reality, there are probably just as many bad doctors out there as bad cops.

FWIW, I don't think this is just an "institutionalized racism" problem. Have you heard of the horrific taser case out of Kansas City that involved the teenage son of a white cop? Or this case below? I heard about it because he was from our area, but it didn't make national news.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Killing_of_Daniel_Shaver

I don't think there has necessarily been a significant spike in incidents either. I DO think excessive police force and racial profiling isn't a new problem and is just now getting more attention because it fits into the current rhetoric around race/income. That, and social media has brought incidents to the forefront that probably wouldn't have been there before. In general, I think that is a good thing. I also think that the same forces (current rhetoric and social media) have allowed it to take on a very ugly side that has gone relatively unchecked and if the deaths last night help in toning it down, then at least something good will have come of such an awful event.
            Married to a newly minted Pediatric Rad, momma to a sweet girl and a bunch of (mostly) cute boy monsters.

Comment

I am posting on the fly and will return when I have time to craft a thoughtful reply, but I wanted to clarify that #BLM is not anti-cop. Here is a link to 11 misconceptions: http://blacklivesmatter.com/11-major...tter-movement/

Their statement regarding Sterling, Castile, and the Dallas shootings appears here: http://blacklivesmatter.com/guiding-principles/

Quoted below in case they change, since it appears on the "guiding principles" page:
              In the last few days, this country witnessed the recorded murders of Alton Sterling and Philando Castile at the hands of police, the latest victims in this country's failed policing system. As we have done for decades, we marched and protested to highlight the urgent need to transform policing in America, to call for justice, transparency and accountability, and to demand that Black Lives Matter.
              In Dallas, many gathered to do the same, joining in a day of action with friends, family, and co-workers. Their efforts were cut short when a lone gunman targeted and attacked 11 police officers, killing five. This is a tragedy—both for those who have been impacted by yesterday's attack and for our democracy. There are some who would use these events to stifle a movement for change and quicken the demise of a vibrant discourse on the human rights of Black Americans. We should reject all of this.
              Black activists have raised the call for an end to violence, not an escalation of it. Yesterday's attack was the result of the actions of a lone gunman. To assign the actions of one person to an entire movement is dangerous and irresponsible. We continue our efforts to bring about a better world for all of us.

Comment

#BlackLivesMatter

I have no doubt that the organization itself didn't want violence like this, but the movement itself has certainly caused a dramatic shift in the way law enforcement is viewed in America--as a whole, not individual offenders. Which is a real shame.

There should be discussion about the most recent incidents. The fact that the one in Minnesota involved a 4 year old girl makes me cringe even more. But I think we can talk about last night too without "taking the spotlight away from the real issue." They are both real issues.

Married to a newly minted Pediatric Rad, momma to a sweet girl and a bunch of (mostly) cute boy monsters.

Comment

I understand what you're saying but haven't incidents like the slaughter via sniper of police officers always made national news (as well it should)? I feel like there's no lack of outpouring when these horrific things happen to police officers and I don't want that to change. I've witnessed the incredible outpouring of support for the police in Baltimore 14 years ago in a similar incident.

What is only NOW getting attention is the BLM movement.

To be clear, I'm 100% pro cop and pro BLM. I'm just so disturbed that a man who is legally in possession of a gun can be killed in front of a child. I cannot imagine being a parent to a black child or married to a black man because I would be TERRIFIED every time they left the house. When I see sirens behind me, all I think is "crap, they caught me speeding"...I simply cannot fathom how terrifying it would be to have to think "I hope I survive this routine police stop". We have a neighbor who has given up running in our neighborhood because he was repeatedly stopped for running in a hoodie and sweatpants in the winter because people thought he was "suspicious"...for working out in his own neighborhood in seasonably appropriate clothes that my DH would never think twice about wearing. That is just so horrifically unfair.
                  Mama to C (Jan 2012), D (Nov 2013), and R (April 2016). Consulting and homeschooling are my day jobs.

Comment

I agree [MENTION=1889]SoonerTexan[/MENTION]

~Mom of 5, married to an ID doc
                    ~A Rolling Stone Gathers No Moss

Comment

Also, on the doctors comparison, I think many people (President Obama, Beyoncé, etc) have pointed out that it is by no means EVERY cop with a problem.

So as far as rooting out corrupt/racist doctors, I'm all for it since my DH isn't either of those things and doctors who are tarnish the profession.

Comment

I am appalled that when anyone is audacious enough to point out that ALL lives matters, they are immediately called a racist. (I'm not suggesting that this happens in this forum.)

So, if I can't say the patently, morally obvious--that all lives matter--I think I should point out that--at a minimum--blue lives matter, too.

Comment

Of course all lives matter. Black lives are a subset of all lives. They just happen to be a subset that needs to be reminded that there are still people who believe their lives matter as much as anyone's. Passing that message along, saying "We see you being treated unequally and KILLED for your differences and we're not cool with that," doesn't have to be a judgment of relative merit.

Simply saying all lives matter isn't racist. But saying it in direct response to a #blacklivesmatter commentary in the aftermath of a tragedy in the black community, might very well be, depending on context.

My heart also breaks for the LEO community. The article I read about the Dallas shootings really said it all -- civilians including families with children screamed and ran, but the officers did the opposite, running toward the shooter. So much bravery and gallantry. Cops do a damned hard job and this one asshole with his apartment full of homemade bombs was just another terrorist, in a 2016 that has already seen way to freaking much terror.
                          Alison

Comment

Saw this on Twitter earlier today and it resonated with me.

Comment

I am not being racist by responding to Black Lives Matter by saying all lives matter.

Comment

Originally posted by GrayMatterWife View Post
                                I am not being racist by responding to Black Lives Matter by saying all lives matter.
                                I wasn't trying to say that at all! I'm sorry if it came across that way.

Comment

Working...
                                X