Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Scotus

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Scotus

Can we talk about the Supremes? I think it's absurd that some are saying they won't approve any nominee until after the election.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
    Wife and #1 Fan of Attending Adult & Geriatric Psychiatrist.

I think it's absurd too although apparently the Dems said they same thing in reverse in the 90s? (Someone will I'm sure rebut that if it's wrong)

Really, despite the fact that I probably won't like the nominee, Obama should do it ASAP so we can get it over with.
    Married to a Urology Attending! (that is an understated exclamation point)
    Mama to C (Jan 2012), D (Nov 2013), and R (April 2016). Consulting and homeschooling are my day jobs.

Comment

Originally posted by TulipsAndSunscreen View Post
      I think it's absurd too although apparently the Dems said they same thing in reverse in the 90s? (Someone will I'm sure rebut that if it's wrong)

Really, despite the fact that I probably won't like the nominee, Obama should do it ASAP so we can get it over with.
      https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o..._United_States

Only two nominated by a republican president in the 90s were in 90 and 91, so not election years.
      Sandy
      Wife of EM Attending, Web Programmer, mom to one older lady scaredy-cat and one sweet-but-dumb younger boy kitty

Comment

I have a two-year-old who reflexively says "NO" to everything. It's exhausting, but at least he's cute. These guys.... not cute, not kind, not even principled, unless the principle is to delegitimize a democratically elected president. Obama isn't even a lame duck. We don't even know who the people will elect to replace him. We don't know what the "mandate" will be. We do know what the mandate was in 2012. Obama was elected and empowered to appoint SCOTUS justices for another four-year term. That term is not over, except in the eyes of those who've never been willing to acknowledge his election in the first place.

Comment

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/02/23/us...1992.html?_r=0
          Mama to C (Jan 2012), D (Nov 2013), and R (April 2016). Consulting and homeschooling are my day jobs.

Comment

I think it's reasonable for him to nominate though we all know why there is a fight. It's going to turn the balance of the court very much liberal.

Pretty sure that the democrats would be throwing a similar fit if they were in the position. Politics as usual

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
            Married to a newly minted Pediatric Rad, momma to a sweet girl and a bunch of (mostly) cute boy monsters.

Comment

Originally posted by TulipsAndSunscreen View Post
              Ah. A hypothetical that didn't end up happening. OTOH, that speech was at the end of June in an election year, not Jan/Feb; if a vacancy had happened in July or August, given the now-typical timelines for confirmation, it would have been running up against election day, which is not the case right now. He's also arguing for not nominating/confirming until after election day in November, not until after a new president/congress takes office (and Bush was running for a second term that year, so it was entirely possible he'd be back in office the next January).
              Sandy
              Wife of EM Attending, Web Programmer, mom to one older lady scaredy-cat and one sweet-but-dumb younger boy kitty

Comment

Originally posted by poky View Post
                Ah. A hypothetical that didn't end up happening. OTOH, that speech was at the end of June in an election year, not Jan/Feb; if a vacancy had happened in July or August, given the now-typical timelines for confirmation, it would have been running up against election day, which is not the case right now. He's also arguing for not nominating/confirming until after election day in November, not until after a new president/congress takes office (and Bush was running for a second term that year, so it was entirely possible he'd be back in office the next January).
                Fair, but he did say it.

It's just politics as usual, I agree with ST. Everyone wants to get their way. I'm just saying that neither side has the best track record of not saying stupid shit when it benefits them...

He should nominate and there will be a fight. I'm actually thinking that he'll have to nominate someone slightly more moderate than a new Democratic president will...but maybe that's too hopeful.

Comment

I won't dispute that Joe Biden has a record of saying stupid stuff. However, it makes me sad that intransigence and obstructionism are shrugged off as politics as usual. If that's really the perception I guess it shouldn't be a surprise people are voting for Donald Drumpf and down with the establishment. Pour one out for bipartisanship.

Comment

It's all so ridiculous. I'm in the just nominate already camp. Of course, I also like the scenario where Hillary wins and nominates Obama. After all the shit he's taken as president, I like to think he'll end up in his "dream job". He'd be a good justice.
                    Angie
                    Gyn-Onc fellowship survivor - 10 years out of the training years; reluctant suburbanite
                    Mom to DS (18) and DD (15) (and many many pets)

"Where are we going - and what am I doing in this handbasket?"

Comment

Originally posted by Sheherezade View Post
                      It's all so ridiculous. I'm in the just nominate already camp. Of course, I also like the scenario where Hillary wins and nominates Obama. After all the shit he's taken as president, I like to think he'll end up in his "dream job". He'd be a good justice.
                      I Obama as a justice so, so much.

Comment

Well that nomination and confirmation process would at least be fun to watch 😂

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                        Married to a newly minted Pediatric Rad, momma to a sweet girl and a bunch of (mostly) cute boy monsters.

Comment

I know!! I'd be endlessly entertained.

Angie
                          Angie
                          Gyn-Onc fellowship survivor - 10 years out of the training years; reluctant suburbanite
                          Mom to DS (18) and DD (15) (and many many pets)

"Where are we going - and what am I doing in this handbasket?"

Comment

It would be awesome. I'd have to find a c-span feed.
                            Kris

Comment

"THE NOMINEE: Merrick Garland" - http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2016/0...n_9477254.html

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
                              Wife and #1 Fan of Attending Adult & Geriatric Psychiatrist.

Comment

Working...
                              X