Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

How thick is your bubble?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

46 here. Pretty accurate, except for the fact that both of my parents have master's degrees. They were teachers, though, which makes them "working class", apparently, at least in terms of salary. That says something about what we value in this country!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Wife of an OB/Gyn, mom to three boys, middle school choir teacher.

"I don't know when Dad will be home."

Comment

It's kinda crazy how much my family has changed in the past 20 years as their income has grown and we have moved to higher income areas. Up til I was in middle school (even a lot of high school), we rarely are out, and when we did, it was placed like TGIF or Souper Salad. Now my parents eat out a lot more and rarely at those places. Actually, those places aren't readily accessible in the communities where they live. Both of the Friday's near us and them closed in the past 5 years. I will admit to being a restaurant snob. Not in spending $$$, but I'd rather eat at home than eat at Applebee's. The last time we did both DH and I felt sick and swore never again.

I think restaurants are in an interesting shift in general--there are way more independently owned restaurants and local chains in all price ranges than there used to be, and I think my generation prefers them. I've seen more and more different options even in the small towns we sometimes stop at on the way to Houston and OKC. There is more health consciousness among the general population than there has ever been and I think the food at a lot of the chains reached a low at some point in the recent past (it really had gotten worse).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      Married to a newly minted Pediatric Rad, momma to a sweet girl and a bunch of (mostly) cute boy monsters.

Comment

I think restaurants are in an interesting shift in general--there are way more independently owned restaurants and local chains in all price ranges than there used to be, and I think my generation prefers them. I've seen more and more different options even in the small towns we sometimes stop at on the way to Houston and OKC. There is more health consciousness among the general population than there has ever been and I think the food at a lot of the chains reached a low at some point in the recent past (it really had gotten worse).
        This. There really aren't a lot of chains in our direct area, and there are a ton of independents. Ditto most neighborhoods I've lived in, including the extremely blue collar Tacony neighborhood of northeast Philly when I was in grad school.

I just find it weird because the word "sheltered" was paired with people saying they had a protected childhood in the earlier posts -- not that they don't like chain restaurants or movies. If I'm "sheltering" my kids, I'm not protecting them from Applebees and Star Wars. I can see that it means you aren't connected with "mainstream culture" but I'm not sure that's the same as sheltered. It's not like you haven't experienced it. I've experienced plenty of Applebees and Denny's just not in the last year. (Didn't the question ask how many times you've eaten there in the last year?)
        Angie
        Gyn-Onc fellowship survivor - 10 years out of the training years; reluctant suburbanite
        Mom to DS (18) and DD (15) (and many many pets)

"Where are we going - and what am I doing in this handbasket?"

Comment

Originally posted by Sheherezade View Post
          I just find it weird because the word "sheltered" was paired with people saying they had a protected childhood in the earlier posts -- not that they don't like chain restaurants or movies. If I'm "sheltering" my kids, I'm not protecting them from Applebees and Star Wars. I can see that it means you aren't connected with "mainstream culture" but I'm not sure that's the same as sheltered. It's not like you haven't experienced it. I've experienced plenty of Applebees and Denny's just not in the last year. (Didn't the question ask how many times you've eaten there in the last year?)
          Yes. It's a combination of being sheltered financially (some of the questions) and not partaking in a lot of the same mass mainstream culture as a lot of other people. The "sheltered childhood" explains the answers to some of the "have you ever" questions, but not the "in the last year" questions.
          Sandy
          Wife of EM Attending, Web Programmer, mom to one older lady scaredy-cat and one sweet-but-dumb younger boy kitty

Comment

Originally posted by poky View Post
            Yes. It's a combination of being sheltered financially (some of the questions) and not partaking in a lot of the same mass mainstream culture as a lot of other people. The "sheltered childhood" explains the answers to some of the "have you ever" questions, but not the "in the last year" questions.
            This is what I was thinking, too. It means that because you do things differently from the mainstream, average person, your perception of reality may be different from theirs. If you're having a conversation with someone who scored very highly, there will probably be some cultural references that you both miss. I think this is why rich white men think it's so easy for a poor black girl to "pull themselves up by their bootstraps". They never experienced the same reality of poverty and discrimination.
            Laurie
            My team: DH (anesthesiologist), DS (9), DD (8)

Comment

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
              Veronica
              Mother of two ballerinas and one wild boy

Comment

Originally posted by ladymoreta View Post
                This is what I was thinking, too. It means that because you do things differently from the mainstream, average person, your perception of reality may be different from theirs. If you're having a conversation with someone who scored very highly, there will probably be some cultural references that you both miss. I think this is why rich white men think it's so easy for a poor black girl to "pull themselves up by their bootstraps". They never experienced the same reality of poverty and discrimination.
                This is very true. DH went to a very low income high school and every once in a while will make a reference to something at high school that I've literally never heard of because my all girls prep school is about as far away as you can get in America from his high school.
                Married to a Urology Attending! (that is an understated exclamation point)
                Mama to C (Jan 2012), D (Nov 2013), and R (April 2016). Consulting and homeschooling are my day jobs.

Comment

Working...
                X