Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

The Election

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Election

How are we not talking about this?

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
    Wife and #1 Fan of Attending Adult & Geriatric Psychiatrist.

Insane. Still in shock.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Horrified, upset, in disbelief.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
      Wife to Hand Surgeon just out of training, mom to two lovely kittys and little boy, O, born in Sept 08.

Comment

Sad and shocked here.

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk
        Student and Mom to an Oct 2013 boy
        Wife to Anesthesia Critical Care attending

Comment

Scared, shocked and embarrassed for our country. Makes me wonder if I live in a bubble because I don't understand how this could happen.

Wife of Anesthesiology Resident

Comment

I feel numb.

Needs

Comment

I think it's time for that compound we have spoken of for years...

Wife to NSG out of training, mom to 2, 10 & 8, and a beagle with wings.

Comment

Feeling totally numb over here, too.

Comment

We have members for whom this is a victory. Maybe that's why? This was a divisive election. This was a victory for half our country. It's tough to gnash and wail and know that. That said, people keep saying this is how the conservative right felt when Obama was elected. I don't think so. I think Obama's victory probably felt like GWB's victory -- I was startled and disappointed by that outcome. I'm really much more gut-punched about this one and its social implications.

Hugs to you and your family, MrsK. I'm sorry that antisemitism gained so much legitimacy through this process. It will never fly in my home though. I am trying to figure out how to teach my children in ways that offset what I perceive as the social fallout from this election. We're going to learn more directly about world religions, instead of painting them all with the same brush (since we're an atheist household.)

And we're going to talk more directly about race and ethnicity and sexuality. We live in a very homogenous community, which is why once a year we visit a bigger, more diverse city. (Last year it was DC, tomorrow we go to San Francisco.) We'll learn as much about this melting pot of a country as we can, and about the injustices that certain groups of people might face.

And I just told my kids -- I almost cried but I got it out -- that their classmates might be scared today. They might have heard in the news that certain people might be deported under this president. I told them to reassure their friends. These changes aren't going to happen fast, and hopefully with checks and balances, they won't happen at all. In the meantime we can be a good friend to everyone, but especially people whose families might have come here from other countries. We can make sure they know we are glad they are here. My son said, "Like Anzelmo?" (The little boy who joined his class a month or so ago without any English but who's learning fast and has taught my son and his class some Spanish as well.) Yep, like Anzelmo. And Alondra. And Kevin. And Analiyah. And Alexander. And Kimberly. And Hana And who knows who else who might be scared today because they look not-white, regardless of when or where their families came from.

Sigh.
                  Alison

Comment

That said, people keep saying this is how the conservative right felt when Obama was elected. I don't think so. I think Obama's victory probably felt like GWB's victory -- I was startled and disappointed by that outcome. I'm really much more gut-punched about this one and its social implications.
                    Honestly, I remember feeling pretty awful the first time around. The second time it seemed like more of an eventuality. This time I was going to be upset at either candidate, but at the end, I'm definitely more upset about Trump.

BUT...he isn't going to be a good president. He isn't going to last 8 years. It's going to suck in the short term and people are going to get hurt, but I am truly convinced we will be okay in the end.

If anything, I think this is going to have an (EVENTUAL) good effect on American politics. The system has cracked for awhile...we just reached the breaking point. When people like Bill Maher are apologizing for making Bush, McCain, and Romney out to be the devil (they weren't) and Glenn Beck is saying Obama made him be a better person (I learned to appreciate him in some ways too), that is a VERY good sign. EVERYONE needs to learn to compromise a little more.

I'm finally finding use for my history degree...I really don't think this is going to be the end of the world. Unless the Aztecs were off by 4 years.

That was a joke (too soon?)
                    Married to a newly minted Pediatric Rad, momma to a sweet girl and a bunch of (mostly) cute boy monsters.

Comment

I'm shocked and devastated. Not because a Republican has won but because of the type of person he is and the type of people he has brought out in this country. DrH went in this morning and was asked " what are you still doing here?" I remember every election since GWB and I don't remember any other Republican being so outspoken the way Trump is and maybe that is what American want but it's scary for me and my family.

wife to PGY1 GS and two little girls, and 1 annoying dog

Comment

I am numb and in disbelief.

I think horrified is around the corner but I've honestly never felt this way before so I'm in new territory.
                        Flynn

Wife to post training CT surgeon; mother of three kids ages 17, 15, and 11.

“It is our choices, Harry, that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities.” —Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets " Albus Dumbledore

Comment

Originally posted by Howfunitis View Post
                          DrH went in this morning and was asked " what are you still doing here?"
                          I wish I were surprised, but I think Brexit showed us that even when the election is not *about* racism and xenophobia, the conversation around it legitimizes racism and xenophobia, and makes everyday people feel braver to display this kind of behavior. I am so sorry that you're experiencing this.
                          Alison

Comment

I can share my thought: I didn't post about this because I am a Republican and a conservative and didn't really want to be attacked. I am the type of person that is why Trump'a victory was such a surprise--I refused to talk about who I was voting for, because the press and late night comedy acts had made my serious choice a laughable or despicable decision. I was one of the many "silent" Trump voters.

That being said, I do not like or particularly trust Trump. I didn't vote for him--I voted against Clinton, who I think is a self-serving criminal. It was a very depressing vote. I hope Trump does a good job. I hope his better angels guide him. I hope he is presidential and stays off Twitter. I hope it is not about him all the time.

Comment

I'm still shocked. And I'm sorry that this is probably a little too harsh for today, but I want all of the people who voted for him to own it. I can't stand the passing of blame. You know who he is, what whatever happens next is not Hillary Clinton's fault. I hope that his presidency ends in dramatically reduced abortions. I hope that his presidency reduces violence against women and non-whites. I hope that his presidency creates a thriving economy that also benefits the lower and middle class. I hope that his Supreme Court nominees are fair and impartial judges of the law as it is written and intended. I hope that climate change is a hoax and we'll all be safe from changing weather patterns. I hope that rolling back the health care changes results in more people living better, healthier, happier lives. And if these things happen, I will gladly thank you for knowing better and voting better than I did.
                              Laurie
                              My team: DH (anesthesiologist), DS (9), DD (8)

Comment

Working...
                              X