Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Calling all Conservatives, Libertarians, Independents, and Non-Liberals

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Calling all Conservatives, Libertarians, Independents, and Non-Liberals

I'm not baiting you in this forum. I really want to read your thoughts. When I joined IMSN eight years ago, we had robust political discussions with various viewpoints. Our conservative and Libertarian members were especially vocal and articulate. While you rarely changed my mind, reading your viewpoints informed my opinions and helped me understand the political leanings of people who have experiences different than mine. Please participate in the Current Events threads.

Also, for those that disagree. Be gentle! Be polite! Let's not start a brawl here. Keep it friendly and be open-minded.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
    Wife and #1 Fan of Attending Adult & Geriatric Psychiatrist.

Mrs.K: I have have always been very fond of you (probably because we are both lawyers!) and I respect your opinions. So I don't want you to think that this is in ANY way a reflection you. It is not. But I have pretty much given up on engaging in civil discourse...pretty much anywhere. Why should I even try? I just get called a racist, or homophobic, or a Nazi, or a fascist, etc. Not for any valid reason, but merely for the fact that I reject a lot of the political left's ideology and reasoning. The left has taken ownership of these terms and assigns them to anyone who disagrees with them. But the fact of the matter is: I am not any of those things, and the left **calling** me those things does not make it so. So, like a whole lot of other people who did not vote for Hillary Clinton, I've just stopped listening to the left. If they want to think that I am a racist, fine. Whatever. Their misperception of me is their problem, not mine.

Comment

GreyMatterWife - as someone who was called out here for not taking my four kids to the Women's March (even though I actually helped a friend get from Alaska to D.C. for it, but whatever), I completely get where you're coming from. I also miss your opinion, as you are MUCH better versed in government than I. I also really love reading your "side" as you are incredibly articulate and make me think.

I am someone who doesn't identify with either party, so I really value and consider everyone's opinion when I'm forming my own on any given candidate. I also vote in most elections, even off cycle. I honestly feel that as an American woman I can't take for granted something so many fought very hard for.

While I love reading everyone's thoughts, I don't often contribute. Shades of grey are often tricky to explain and I'm often posting on the run, or am consumed in my own current drama of my lovely husband's career. I sometimes look back at my posts, embarrassed by my scattered thoughts, poor grammar, or autocorrect errors that I failed to catch.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
      -Deb
      Wife to EP, just trying to keep up with my FOUR busy kids!

Comment

Originally posted by GrayMatterWife View Post
        Mrs.K: I have have always been very fond of you (probably because we are both lawyers!) and I respect your opinions. So I don't want you to think that this is in ANY way a reflection you. It is not. But I have pretty much given up on engaging in civil discourse...pretty much anywhere. Why should I even try? I just get called a racist, or homophobic, or a Nazi, or a fascist, etc. Not for any valid reason, but merely for the fact that I reject a lot of the political left's ideology and reasoning. The left has taken ownership of these terms and assigns them to anyone who disagrees with them. But the fact of the matter is: I am not any of those things, and the left **calling** me those things does not make it so. So, like a whole lot of other people who did not vote for Hillary Clinton, I've just stopped listening to the left. If they want to think that I am a racist, fine. Whatever. Their misperception of me is their problem, not mine.
        Thank you for stating what has been on my mind @GMW. We did not vote for the same candidate yet I still felt like I needed a break from IMSN - I have not posted since before the election. I did not subscribe to the "left" this time...I fell in the middle. Still, I did not feel there was "space" for my beliefs. For example, I posted what I thought was a non-sided question. I came here hoping to get a different perspective from the FB rhetoric...I was troubled by the amount of hateful posts on FB. Not 5 minutes had passed when a member texted me with a warning to watch out for they had not had a positive experience voicing anything that did not lean to the political left.

GMW - I value your perspective for it does make me think and wish there were more safe places for all types of discourse.
        Finally - we are finished with training! Hello real world!!

Comment

Originally posted by Deebs View Post
          GreyMatterWife - as someone who was called out here for not taking my four kids to the Women's March (even though I actually helped a friend get from Alaska to D.C. for it, but whatever), I completely get where you're coming from. I also miss your opinion, as you are MUCH better versed in government than I. I also really love reading your "side" as you are incredibly articulate and make me think.

I am someone who doesn't identify with either party, so I really value and consider everyone's opinion when I'm forming my own on any given candidate. I also vote in most elections, even off cycle. I honestly feel that as an American woman I can't take for granted something so many fought very hard for.

While I love reading everyone's thoughts, I don't often contribute. Shades of grey are often tricky to explain and I'm often posting on the run, or am consumed in my own current drama of my lovely husband's career. I sometimes look back at my posts, embarrassed by my scattered thoughts, poor grammar, or autocorrect errors that I failed to catch.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
          @ Deebs - I noticed the same or rather my perception was similar and it made it me sad. I know we all make assumptions...even when I try not to - they still creep in. It is not always easy to stop oneself from pretending to have "walked in other's shoes". I am also not as articulate in writing and find others expressing what is on my mind way more eloquently. Your post is a prime example. Felt the same, thought the same & did (do) the same but you said it so much better.

Comment

Originally posted by MrsK View Post
            I'm not baiting you in this forum. I really want to read your thoughts. When I joined IMSN eight years ago, we had robust political discussions with various viewpoints. Our conservative and Libertarian members were especially vocal and articulate. While you rarely changed my mind, reading your viewpoints informed my opinions and helped me understand the political leanings of people who have experiences different than mine. Please participate in the Current Events threads.

Also, for those that disagree. Be gentle! Be polite! Let's not start a brawl here. Keep it friendly and be open-minded.

Lastly but not last on my mind , [MENTION=1498]MrsK[/MENTION]...thank you for your post. I am not sure I can agree with with "we had robust political discussions with various viewpoints. Our conservative and Libertarian members were especially vocal and articulate" for some of the debates from even back in 2002-3 were intimidating for someone like me - yet, lively for sure. Still, I want to express my deep appreciation for your gentle invite and concern about creating space for those not necessarily sharing your views.

Comment

I don't always contribute to political posts because I feel like I haven't had enough time to educate myself on the issues and I have never been very articulate. I enjoy reading other viewpoints on here that differ from my own (I lean left). I am always particularly interested in your opinion GMW because you seem like you are very passionate in your beliefs and are very well educated/informed. I hope all members can feel comfortable expressing their opinions without fear of attack. And Deebs I had the same fears about taking my young kids to the women's march on my own. Large crowds and a politically charged atmosphere gave me pause.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
              Wife of Anesthesiology Resident

Comment

Originally posted by medpedspouse View Post
                Lastly but not last on my mind , [MENTION=1498]MrsK[/MENTION]...thank you for your post. I am not sure I can agree with with "we had robust political discussions with various viewpoints. Our conservative and Libertarian members were especially vocal and articulate" for some of the debates from even back in 2002-3 were intimidating for someone like me - yet, lively for sure. Still, I want to express my deep appreciation for your gentle invite and concern about creating space for those not necessarily sharing your views.
                Thank you. I recall a time that the conservative med spouses were so vocal here that I was afraid to express liberal opinions. I really do want to hear from everyone. Otherwise, we continue to live in a bubble and, frankly, I'm terrified.

I really want to hear from someone who thinks it's all going to be okay and why they think that. I mean there are educated and informed people out there that like this guy. I want to know what they see that I don't see.

Comment

And I should clarify....by like him, I mean like his policies. Not that they don't like Hillary or Obama or whatever. Not that antisemitism is just as bad as before or that it will always be this bad as long as Jews walk the earth. I'm not a snowflake looking for comfort. I'm looking for the facts or whatever that supports the argument that the sky is not falling.

Last edited by MrsK; 01-25-2017, 06:10 PM.

Comment

[MENTION=1257]Deebs[/MENTION]. I saw that too. I think it was meant to encourage you to act. Everyone has their boiling point. Everyone has their comfort level. I wouldn't take my children to a demonstration either. My kids are too young to understand what they are protesting and I don't like using my kids to make my political arguments. That's not intended as a criticism of anyone who took their kids to the march. It's just good for you but not for me.

Comment

Originally posted by Deebs View Post
                      Called out? I didn't go to a march, I didn't want to go to a march, marches aren't everyone's thing. I just made a comment about something I found interesting and introspective, for myself.

You know, this board has been my social bedrock for twelve goddamn years, the main place I get adult interaction, and I still manage to be the bad guy every time I post. I'm the consummate threadkiller. I sit on my hands and don't even post in sympathy sometimes because I don't want my words to be taken wrong and to hurt the person I am trying to uplift, because I know that I'm always assumed to be saying something snide or hurtful no matter how simple and direct and caring I try to make my words. I take posting breaks and just read for a while and then I come back, again and again and again, because this is where I learned to give others the benefit of the doubt, not to judge someone on their hasty words or their bad day, and I optimistically assume that I'm getting that leeway as well.

It's so exhausting and depressing to be the wet blanket, and now to be the elephant in the room that no one is going to name?
                      Last edited by spotty_dog; 01-25-2017, 06:30 PM.
                      Alison

Comment

[MENTION=985]spotty_dog[/MENTION]. In all honestly, I didn't even remember who said it. So, it's definitely not personal. I read it as an observation and maybe a little push. The statement was something I've thought about myself when I've been afraid to speak up for others. I could see where Deebs might have felt it was a criticism also. I think we are all feeling self-conscious a little, especially because there are a lot of grey areas that are hard to navigate and we all are afraid to misstep. I spent the day of the women's march feeling stupid because I'd planned my daughter's birthday party that day. The date was set long before the election to accommodate grandparents who wanted to make travel plans (and later didn't come but that's another story). I was so upset that my many friends who missed the party to go to the March would think that I was a nitwit or I didn't support them. That has more to do with me than them. None of them were shaming me.

Comment

Oh spotty_dog you are one of my favorite posters. I am always interested in what you have to say. You are always so thoughtful, kind and wise. I guess I missed that part of the march thread and I don't think you should feel bad.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                          Wife of Anesthesiology Resident

Comment

[MENTION=985]spotty_dog[/MENTION] I love reading your posts!! You've helped me see issues more fully more than once! Stop sitting on your hands
                            -Ladybug

Comment

I post infrequently but I read this site on a weekly basis. When I saw the title of this thread I clicked eagerly hoping to read all the posts from intelligent people here who I don't tend to agree with politically, but I do respect and really think about what they post and why.

This election and where we are as a country has us all tied up in knots. It's a scary time. I've decided to really listen to people -- which I'm not very good at sometimes.

I think it's time we all gave each other here a pass on what's happened or perceived to have happened in the past and move on to more discussion. Just my two cents.
                              Flynn

Wife to post training CT surgeon; mother of three kids ages 17, 15, and 11.

“It is our choices, Harry, that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities.” —Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets " Albus Dumbledore

Comment

Working...
                              X