Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Taking a knee

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

No one kneeling is protesting the flag or the anthem (even though the SSB is racist as fuck). Just like Ghandi wasn't protesting food and Rosa Parks wasn't protesting buses. They're all protesting injustice.
    Last edited by diggitydot; 09-30-2017, 04:50 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by diggitydot View Post
      No one kneeling is protesting the flag or the anthem (even though the SSB is racist as fuck). Just like Ghandi wasn't protesting food and Rosa Parks wasn't protesting buses. They're all protesting injustice.
      I think they chose the wrong format because what people are talking about is the flag, not injustice. Personally, I don't care who does what. I'm so over protests that I've stopped paying attention. I avoid the news and unfollow anyone on FB who gets political. It's all become too much.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      ~Mom of 5, married to an ID doc
      ~A Rolling Stone Gathers No Moss

Comment

There is no approved form of protest. People are going to protest in ways that get attention.

“Don’t be violent or cause property damage.”

“Oh, don’t sit during the national anthem.”

“Eh, I don’t really like kneeling during the SSB, either.”

There’s no OK form of protest. Really, people would just prefer they don’t do it at all. And that’s part of the problem.

Comment

I honestly don't care.

Comment

If you don’t even care, then why even post about it?

Comment

I meant I didn't care for the points you are making. I have my opinion And I respect your opinion. We disagree.

Comment

If you only want your own opinions regurgitated back to you, give us a heads up so we know when to ignore.

Comment

Lol. 🙄

Comment

What would be an acceptable form of protest for people of color and allies if they want to protest what they see as injustice?

I'm open to other forms. I just tend to agree that any form of protest from people of color is generally met with at best, dismissal and at worst, outright hatred.

Married to a Urology Attending! (that is an understated exclamation point)
                    Mama to C (Jan 2012), D (Nov 2013), and R (April 2016). Consulting and homeschooling are my day jobs.

Comment

Taking a knee

I think the Dallas cowboys did it right. They took a knee and then stood for the national anthem. I disagree that any form of protest is dismissed. Black lives matters gets a lot of support in Minnesota. I think marches on D.C. Are another good form of protest. Look, I can't take my protests and problems to work. Football is a game. The players are working. It's supposed to be a form of entertainment. They should keep the issues off the field. I say this as a mostly democrat voter who respects the right to protest but opposes this particular venue. That does not mean that I don't care about racial injustice.

Comment

Originally posted by PrincessFiona View Post
                        I think the Dallas cowboys did it right. They took a knee and then stood for the national anthem. I disagree that any form of protest is dismissed. Black lives matters gets a lot of support in Minnesota. I think marches on D.C. Are another good form of protest. Look, I can't take my protests and problems to work. Football is a game. The players are working. It's supposed to be a form of entertainment. They should keep the issues off the field. I say this as a mostly democrat voter who respects the right to protest but opposes this particular venue. That does not mean that I don't care about racial injustice.

People do protest at work. I recall a major sick out when Elian Gonzalez was returned to Cuba.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
                        Wife and #1 Fan of Attending Adult & Geriatric Psychiatrist.

Comment

Well, I didn't sick out and I don't think it's appropriate to protest at work. Again. It's my opinion. It doesn't fit the narrative that is popular. Despite my misgivings, I still support the players right to protest. I just think it was the wrong choice. It has backfired and become a political issue instead of focusing on racial injustice. I respect your opinion. Mine also deserves respect.

Comment

Except that the players and owners are bound by very different employment law than you are. The contract hashed our between the players’ union and the owners doesn’t prohibit this type of action. They’d need to go back and renegotiate their contracts to do so and the last thing the owners want to do is renegotiate these contracts.

It’s well within the players rights to do this.

Comment

Maybe it is within their rights. It is offensive and they are alienating their base. Maybe you don't understand why someone could find it offensive .... it's worthwhile to try. Otherwise there is nothing but anger and division. As it stands, the issue has been obscured.

Comment

No one is disrespecting your opinion. We’re disagreeing with it.

Comment

Working...
                                X