Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Speaking of gay marriage...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Speaking of gay marriage...

We just had an amendment in MO pass to ban gay marriage--did any other states have this on the ballot? I'm a little embarrassed that over 70% of the voters voted to pass this amendment.
    Awake is the new sleep!

From what I understand, Missouri is the first but about ten more are to follow this fall.

Ouch.
    Married to a hematopathologist seven years out of training.
    Raising three girls, 11, 9, and 2.

“That was the thing about the world: it wasn't that things were harder than you thought they were going to be, it was that they were hard in ways that you didn't expect.”
    Lev Grossman, The Magician King

Comment

Not in Colorado but we have the wonderful legacy of that stupid Amendment 2 (to nullify several the rules of several cities against discrimination against gays and not allow lawsuits related to discrimination against gays).
      I think I've heard rumblings about something like that in Oregon but I haven't been paying much attention. I don't know if it will be on the ballot this year or not.

Comment

Re: Speaking of gay marriage...

Originally posted by SueC
        We just had an amendment in MO pass to ban gay marriage--did any other states have this on the ballot? I'm a little embarrassed that over 70% of the voters voted to pass this amendment.
        Why exactly are you embarrassed? Do you feel yourself superior to the vast majority of your fellow citizens of Missouri? Or do you perhaps feel embarrassed by democracy in action???

Comment

I'm embarassed that 70% of the people (who voted) in the state I call home feel they should deny those who are gay the right to enter into a marriage with their life partners.
          This is just a shot in the dark--is that you Rapunzel?
          Awake is the new sleep!

Comment

Or do you, adrienne , just feel superior to the gay men and women in this country? Do you also feel superior to the poor people...how about the working moms....or those from other ethnic/religious backgrounds?
            ~Mom of 5, married to an ID doc
            ~A Rolling Stone Gathers No Moss

Comment

Arkansas is working on one as well. I found out later that when I voted in the primary election, those petitions people were circulating in the parking lot were to get it on the ballot. Glad they didn't corner me, as I'd be worried about my car being smashed after I made a scene. Arkansas is essentially a third world country in the middle of the US, and I'm not surprised about Missouri, as it's Ashcroft country (although he did lose the election to the dead guy there so sometimes the voters have their heads and hearts in the right place.)

So my vitriolic little friend is back, with a shiny new name? I had hoped she would go and find some people more like herself to correspond with--I even had some actual boards and sites to suggest, but no, I guess she feels there isn't enough "vile" in civility. Ugh. What a pitiful creature.

Comment

I have a cute story to share (at least I think so). Tonight I was working in the ER and we had a critical patient. He was not doing well, elderly, on Dopamine, Nitroglycerine, you name it he was being put on it. My husband was the attending, The man told him that he wanted to be a DNR, but not until after the election. He actually told my husband to intubate him if he had to, "just keep me alive long enough to vote AGAINST George Bush"!!!!!!!!!!!!! You could hear my husband's cheers throughout the ER.
                Luanne
                Luanne
                wife, mother, nurse practitioner

"You have not converted a man because you have silenced him." (John, Viscount Morely, On Compromise, 1874)

Comment

That is hilarious, Luanne!
                  Awake is the new sleep!

Comment

gay marriage

I'm in Canada, hubby is in Arizona, we're still awaiting immigration.

Anyways,

We've had legal gay marriages here for 2 years now. You would never know it.

Unless you walk down to the court house and stand there, it has had no impact on my life whatsoever.

I guess what i'm saying is, to each their own.

Comment

Working...
                    X