Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

money

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• money

While we're on the subject in another thread, I thought I'd throw this one out there: Is there anything wrong with wanting to make and keep a lot of money? I am, for example, totally against the Bush tax cuts right now because of our deficit and record military spending right now...I think it's a bad time to cut the tax revenue. At the same time, now that my husband and I have sacrificed for years to get into this tax bracket, I don't know if I am errrr willing to give more money back to the govt.

selfish? hypocrite?

kris
    ~Mom of 5, married to an ID doc
    ~A Rolling Stone Gathers No Moss

I hate to say it, but hubby and I were disgusted that between education incentives and other credits, we paid no taxes last year. :\ We can afford it, we think we should be giving back, but heck if we're going to just up and donate money to the government. :P

I vote in favor of the school levys and other tax initiatives that come my way. I'm hugely in favor of increased gas taxes.

I guess it depends on how you mean "make and keep a lot of money". By the time we're in that increased tax bracket we plan to keep most of what we take home, by way of not spending it.

Then again my opinion could well change by then too.
    Alison

Comment

Well, tend to vote democrat, I always vote for the school levies as well...heck, I would also vote for universal healthcare partly funded by the govt. for the 42 million uninsured.....and yet there is a part of me now that says 'ouch'. We have worked hard to get here and we have a lot of debt that we're paying off. It is sort of sad to give larger chunks of that money away.....
      ~Mom of 5, married to an ID doc
      ~A Rolling Stone Gathers No Moss

Comment

Universal health care would cost less than you think. The net gain it would cost is less than what the govt currently gives businesses in a tax credit for health care coverage. But that's another debate topic.

I understand what you are saying, Kris. In the same vein, I have been guilty about complaining about the resident salary. We do have debt for getting to this point, but there are lots, lots of folks who make that and less for the whole lives.
        A friend, who is a physician, was telling her dad that she was glad to finish residency and finally make more money. He asked how much she made as a resident. She told him and he replied that in his whole career, he had never made more than that salary. 8O Sure, they lived in less urban areas in the Midwest (much lower cost of living) areas but they did a good job of raising 5 kids on his salary.
        I'm definitely not saying that a physician's salary isn't deserved! And I sure won't mind when we get there.

Comment

I see what you mean, I'm surprised there's not a loophole for school-related interest and loan repayment. (Do you work with a tax preparer by chance?) But I don't think a flat tax is the answer, so as long as I'm in favor of having the rich pay more, I've gotta be willing to dig into my own pocket when I'm one of 'em.

We're pretty privileged as it is, though, and I suspect my perspective is colored by that. We've got no school debt from undergrad and don't anticipate any from med school. We're doing well now and can only anticipate doing proportionally better as our household income increases. We'll see how our finances handle the prospect of a baby in the family, though. (Someday, someday...) Since I can't imagine *needing* five times what I'm bringing in now, I can afford to be hypothetically generous with it.
          Alison

Comment

As most of you know by now, I was a starving social worker for a VERY long time. Salary wise, my best friend makes double what I make, she's got a MBA- but heck she paid her dues too. We don't suffer- we haven't since we got married.

I honestly wouldn't care if our taxes were increased, provided they actually went to the places I think they need to go- health care, schools, the DC Metro system, etc. Of course, the fact that I'm paying Federal income tax with NO representation in Congress pisses me off. But that's another topic for debate.

As for money- I feel no guilt. Until this job, I carried a pager, every single day, and was on-call every single day. I have helped care for some of the most vulnerable members of society. And- I got paid. Not a TON of money but the last few years I made over 30k. (in the DC area, don't forget) It's not a bad way to make a living and I am passionate about what I do- how many others can say that?

I married a man who is compensated slightly more than others of his same rank in the Army ($about 25,000 more - it's public information, I'm not telling any state secrets!!) Ok. We pay our bills, we eat out, and we're heading off to Russia to adopt a baby. Cool!

No guilt here!!!

Jenn

Comment

I am unwaveringly in favor of making and keeping as much money as possible! I don't think it's entirely selfish-- we work hard and should get something back for it. I also think we have a responsibility to share what we earn, but I think we should do it on an individual, voluntary basis. I don't like being forced to support others.

Comment

Working...
              X