Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

The energy crisis

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The energy crisis

In preparation for a visitor who is coming to lecture in my department in a couple of weeks, I'm reading his book, called "Out of Gas: The End of the Age of Oil". His hypothesis is that worldwide production of oil will peak within the next decade, and if we aren't ready right away with a non-fossil-fuel energy source, we're going to have some serious problems as demand begins outstripping supply at an increasing rate.

It's made me think about more ways I can decrease my dependence on fuel sources. We already keep our thermostat low, turn off lights, and use alternative methods to commute. I'm thinking it's time to go to compact fluorescents and do run more of my errands by bike or foot.

I also plan to support, through letter-writing and voting, legislation that increases funding for research toward alternative fuels.

How do YOU limit your energy/fuel/electricity consumption?

...or do you have reason to believe the issue is not worth worrying about?
    Alison

Interesting question. I can't manage a good answer now, but will post in a few days. I'm a strong believer in foot power myself for many reasons.

Angie
    Angie
    Gyn-Onc fellowship survivor - 10 years out of the training years; reluctant suburbanite
    Mom to DS (18) and DD (15) (and many many pets)

"Where are we going - and what am I doing in this handbasket?"

Comment

Good topic!

With having kids, our driving situation has changed considerably. As much as I'd like to be taking both girls in the bike buggy to get groceries, it's just not realistic. Before kids, we both walked or to took the bus to work, partly for conservation reasons but largely for expense and convenience. We had one car for the first 5 years we were married and were able to pay less for insurance by driving under 10,000 miles/year. Still keep it under 10,000 miles on one car but we have to have two. In Denver we could run some errands on foot but it's a little tougher with our new location.

I have started buying the low energy bulbs (forget the name) and figure that the investment up front is repayed in lower energy bills. We keep the thermostat low in the winter and have a programmable one that turns it lower at night. I think we'll go for 67 degrees this winter and see how it feels. Wash full loads in the dishwasher and laundry, etc. Part of my motivation is conservation, the other is keeping our utilities low.

And I'm finding myself in the position of needing to replace appliances. We didn't have a W&D in the house when we moved in. I'm buying products that have excellent energy ratings and I think this is what makes the biggest difference. I've heard that for some appliances, the savings pays for the appliance in a few years. We purchased a front loading washer that with the manufacturer rebate, energy trust rebate (in OR), and state income tax credit cost us less than a front loading machine. And it is supposed to save about $1 a load in energy and water cost. 8O The dishwasher is on it's last leg and is next to go; should see some h2o and electricity savings with that as well (and get a state income tax credit). It's interesting that in the Pac NW, the issue is energy -- and that is were rebates/refunds come from versus in Denver where the issue was water.

Comment

Working...
      X