Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Do you usually talk politics with family/friends?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do you usually talk politics with family/friends?

This is something that I have been thinking alot about tonight. I never I realized how divisive politics could be...maybe I'm naive. The last few months though I have been involved with a huge rift with my family and some of my friends..... I, btw, take a large portion of the blame for this...I can't shutup about my opinions.

Does anyone else here debate politics with friends with different opinions...I have a feeling that I will be living by the 'don't discuss religion/politics' with friends or familiy motto from now on....

I think that is better than angry hurt feelings....

kris
    ~Mom of 5, married to an ID doc
    ~A Rolling Stone Gathers No Moss

I guess the other thing I'm trying to ask in a roundabout way....should we refrain from discussing politics here? Will the differing opinions eventually result in similar rifts and hurt feelings?

kris
    ~Mom of 5, married to an ID doc
    ~A Rolling Stone Gathers No Moss

Comment

DH & I do discuss politics and religion (we are a mixed religion family) with family and friends. Most of the people we discuss/argue with are intelligent and opened minded and any rifts are only temporary because we agree to disagree. We use the "if you don't like the heat get out of the kitchen" theory. I think a debate forum should be just that, a debate forum, not a shove it down your throat you have to think like me forum. We are all adults here, and should be able to debate like adults, without intentionally hurting others.
      Luanne
      Luanne
      wife, mother, nurse practitioner

"You have not converted a man because you have silenced him." (John, Viscount Morely, On Compromise, 1874)

Comment

DH and I are constantly discussing politics, sometimes religion - which usually is tied into our political discussions.

That said, I think the debate forum should be open for debates, political or otherwise. Personally, I don't discuss volatile issues with family or friends(other than DH) because I know that feelings do get hurt and people do take things personally. I tend to take things personally and feel like my views are being attacked when people don't agree with me. I will admit to feeling pretty badly reading about people taking sides in the political discussions.

Comment

That is one of the wonderful things about this country, we can disagree, express it and not be put to death!!!
          Luanne
          wife, mother, nurse practitioner

"You have not converted a man because you have silenced him." (John, Viscount Morely, On Compromise, 1874)

Comment

I try to refrain from talking politics, though another mom friend and I had at it a few times (she is a pretty conservative Republican)--we have always been able to walk away still friends and both seem to know when we need to change the subject. We were just talking about this last night, and how although we will never persuade each other to change camps, at least we are able to get a little insight in how and why the other person feels the way they do. I love talking politics with my dad, my sister, and one of my friends--all of whom are liberal Democrats like myself. I don't think that counts, though, since we all have very similar views.
            On this board, I try to refrain, and am going to do so more in the future. I'm not a good debater, have trouble expressing my thoughts in an intelligent manner when I'm not face to face with people, and I think I come off as ignorant and misinformed.
            Awake is the new sleep!

Comment

I also don't discuss 'touchy' subjects like politics with friends, for some of the reasons stated earlier (hurt feelings, etc). I also don't participate too much in this forum because I'm not as articulate or informed as I'd like to be. That being said, I do really enjoy reading other people's thoughts and opinions on issues whether I agree, disagree, or just don't know enough to have an opinion. It's always interesting to me to hear all the differing viewpoints. If the basic question is 'should we keep discussing politics here?', then I vote 'Yes.'
              ~Jane

-Wife of urology attending.
              -SAHM to three great kiddos (2 boys, 1 girl!)

Comment

Well, if you think about it , there's really not a whole lot in life that isn't in someway "political." Got a parking ticket? That's the Police in action. Live in the town where the ticket was issued? That's income for the town. Have a new town hall being built? That's where you ticket money may have gone...

Do you have leaves all over your major streets and intersections? Who cleans them? What about when we complain about the giant car-eating potholes? That's tax $ at work, too.

So, it does seem important to continue to talk about the issues. I think we all can pretty much agree to disagree. I will never, ever, ever support rolling back Roe v. Wade, and there are a LOT of people here who would be celebrating on the Supreme Court steps if if were overturned. They won't change their minds, I won't change mine. BUT we can and should get away from screeching horrible names to each other. Because we don't agree doesn't make us stupid or illinformed. And we need to agree that there are always more than two sides to every issue.

Jenn

Comment

I think it's fine to discuss politics here but topics that are expressly political should be kept to the Debate forum so that those wishing to avoid those discussions have the option to do so.

I discuss politics with people in real life on a case-by-case basis. If it becomes apparent that it's going to cause a problem between us then I back off and don't discuss politics with that person anymore. Especially with family since you're stuck with them so it's best to not tick them off or it makes Christmas really awkward. That tends to leave a lot of people I can discuss politics with, though.

FH and I discuss politics and religion at home a LOT, and politics is also usually one of the main topics of conversation when we get together with our friends. In those discussions I'm pretty much always the conservative one. But then those discussions are pretty much about hashing out the nuances of leftist postions, rather than left/right debates.

I've actually been having these really good political discussions with my dad over the past couple of years, and I'm the liberal in those discussions. That's also been helpful because I've had some of those moments where I'm like "Oh THIS is where I get that from!" Know what I mean? Where you wonder why you're the only person you know who _______ (whatever) and then you realize that your parents are the same way and that idea was probably planted in you as a child.

So, bottom line, I do disuss politics with a lot of people in real life, but not if it's going to cause a problem.
                  Married to a hematopathologist seven years out of training.
                  Raising three girls, 11, 9, and 2.

“That was the thing about the world: it wasn't that things were harder than you thought they were going to be, it was that they were hard in ways that you didn't expect.”
                  Lev Grossman, The Magician King

Comment

I don't debate politics with my friends or family. BF debate with each other, but he also doesn't with his friends.

However, I think we should keep the debate forum here. I'm definitely learning a lot by reading other people's opinions and I'm slowly starting to voice my opinions a little bit here. I think it's good for me!

Comment

Working...
                    X