Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Prisoner abuse?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Prisoner abuse?

Apparently there is more upheaval over alleged "abuses" in our military prisons. Does anybody care what is happening to those being detained at Abu Ghraib (Sp?) or GB? Personally, I don't take issue with somebody (TERRORISTS) being wrapped in the Israeli flag and bombarded with strobe lights, or being placed in cuffs in the fetal position for extended time periods during interrogation. Hey, at least they are still alive, with all appendages intact. That's more than what was given to most Americans held hostage. These are the same people who would not even HESITATE to behead us if they were detaining us.

I don't think that the way our troops treat prisoners has worsened over the years; on the contrary, I think the same treatment has gone on for decades....there's just more attention given to the issue now, and more people are discussing what occurs behind closed doors. War is ugly, and what happens with it isn't nice either.

What are your thoughts?

If this wasn't a "new" method of prisoner treatment, why did the administration have to seek a special opinion from its counsel on whether or not it was OK?
    I don't believe this activity is business as usual. I don't believe that this type of stuff would have flown with the previous president, and I do believe that certain key administration officials should be held responsible for this behavior.
    Enabler of DW and 5 kids
    Let's go Mets!

Comment

Nope. Not ok with it at all. War is ugly, but it's no excuse to stoop to the level of others. I don't think interrogation should be touchy-feely or anything (and sort of get a laugh out of having women interogate the prisoners) but tying them up in the fetal position for 24 hrs and letting them defecate on themselves goes too far. The battlefield is one thing, a prison is another. (IMO)

Comment

Here's the problem. as the spouse of an Army physician, and friend and aunt to several people over there- two nephews (Air Force and Navy) and three docs (a peditrician (Army), a psychiatrist (Navy, assigned to the Marines), and a pediatric nephrologist (Army).

The way the prisoners were treated were calculated by the current civilian administration to exact the most psychological damage. Except that for the most part the military commanders didn't and don't approve of those techniques, which is why the jails are administered by civilians and operated by military personnel (which is how there was such a huge 'communications' problem.) The military personnel know that if any of our guys are now taken prisoner and not just immediately shot (which is many ways is infinitely more humane) they will be tortured in an even worse and more humiliating manner. Which is why Mr. Gonzales did write the memo oking this use of force and intimidation at the request of the White House. It wasn't the Pentagon who wanted to use these techniques.

What we did violated the Geneva Convention, but then again, so does holding prisoners without charging them, not providing them with access to lawyers and not allowing third party review. All of which we know we would insist upon for the appropriate treatment of our soldiers. We should be setting a standard, not stooping to the lowest common denominator. But, when the SecDef (a civilian with no military experience...) can't even sign his own condolence letters, we all know how valuable our soldiers really are to this administration....

It sets a scary precident and if it's not frightening enough to think about my husband being sent (which is increasingly likely once he finishes) we also have to worry about what would happen if they were taken hostage.

Scares the bejeezuz out of me.

Jenn

Comment

Let me clarify a little...I do believe that there was a cover-up and that terrible abuse has occurred, as well as death. And I do believe that in those instances, all parties should be held accountable; and I think Rummy should probably go, too. However, I think that our soldiers are valued by most of the people in our current administration.

Comment

I think it is apalling. When news stories of Abu Grahib first broke these were supposed to be 'isolated incidents'...apparently, the only thing 'isolated' about them was that that was one of the few places where people were dumb enough to record this stuff on digital cameras.

I also question the value of torture per say...If someone tortured me to get information (basically, they'd just have to take away my lo-carb ice cream ) I'd tell them whatever they wanted to hear even if it wasn't the truth....just to stop the torture.

What we did does violate the geneva convention and the Administration new this from the get-go which is why they told all nations that we provide aid to that they would only get aid if they agreed NOT to try us in international courts and why we backed out of the international court. We only agree in trying criminal activities in war if we aren't committing them.

That being said, I do not blame the troops...I feel very sorry for the brave men and women who are facing the uncertainty over there of even being able to go into the mess hall and eat in a supposedly secure location. The deaths and injuries this week are indeed devastating and something has to be done. Unfortunately, I think that poor post-war planning and a failure to listen to the critics early on (within our own government and abroad) have led to these problems. This is why countries like France and Germany said "lets wait and take more time to evaluate the evidence for wmd and consider all of our options. They knew enough about Iraqi history to understand that the Sunni's, Shiites and Kurds weren't going to just kiss and make up...The Arab Sunni's (propped up by our govt. only represent 16% of the country. The Muslim Shiite majority (2/3 of the population) in Iraq that would win if they could establish a fair election are completely ignored by our govt and are even accused of being too close to Iranian Muslims even though the Iraqi Shiites have clearly demonstrated an independence from Iranian Shiites. ".

We were too quick to go to war and to slow to establish peace.

Our soldiers are paying the price with their lives and we (and our children) will pay the price with a reduced credibility in the world and economic problems to come. In addition, I believe that the people in Iraq who have lost their families will likely make it their life's goal to seek revenge... That scares me for my own children.

It is a very difficult time in American history.

That's as political as I'll get...I don't want to start a flame war.

:!
            ~Mom of 5, married to an ID doc
            ~A Rolling Stone Gathers No Moss

Comment

This link articulates some of my feelings regarding this whole fiasco.....

http://search.netscape.com/ns/boomframe ... candal.htm

Comment

Working...
              X