Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Tsunami Aid

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Not only did I think 15mil was pathetic, I found the lack of action by this current administration to be appalling. Only when they were put on the spot did they add more to the 15mil. Where has the president been in 4 days? His delay in making a simple statement says a lot about this current administration. With such weakened relationships around the world, Bush should have been one of the first to make a simple statement offering the true feelings of Americans, that of compassion and willingness to help. I'm sorry but his ambivilance and absence says it all.
    I have been following this story closely from the beginning and have heard of Americans in Thailand having enormous trouble with the people at the American embassy. While representatives of every other country were at the airport to help their natives with passports, travel arrangements etc, American embassy contacts were in the "VIP lounge". These poor Americans who not only lost all of their belongings but loved ones were EXPECTED TO PAY FOR THEIR PASSPORT PHOTOS AND DOCUMENTS!! Most of them had nothing more than a little clothing on their backs, no money...nothing. Luckily, one couple who had escaped the tsunami with their credit cards actually paid for all the people who could not.
    I am sickened by the global delay in response to this entire situation. It has been 4 days and most of the areas still do not have any relief teams at all. I understand it can take time to organize teams to cover areas as large as this. However, I assume that disaster relief teams are trained and ready within 24-48 hours minimum. Also, the lack of any military assistance from many countries even going in to evaluate and assess the situation is baffling. Why is it taking sooo bloody long to get the ball rolling on helping these people??
    I am a little disturbed as well by the Indonesian government blatantly neglecting to even assess the situation in Sumatra. Why did it take 3 days for news to come forth about the most severly devastated area? I speculate that because Aceh has been struggling to become a free nation, that the Indonesian government is intentionally neglecting the entire area and delaying response to be rid of their political problem. Many survivors are likely sick and dying from lack of water, food and shelter by now.

Comment

Look what I stirred up Again, please know that I'm NOT a crazed conservative. That was merely one website I looked at regarding this guy's comment about Western nations and donating $$$. I don't think the Left hates America, either. Although I tend to have some conservative leanings and I do support our president, I clearly understand that the countries devastated by this catastrophe need astronomical amounts of $$ and resources to even begin to rebuild what was lost.

But, yes....we did donate more $$ than Europe! (Kris, you did say that out loud!)

Comment

Lori, I was appalled too by our goverment's lack of action to help even the American victims. I mean, really, these people just survived one of the worst natural disasters in recorded history...and many of them lost loved ones...can't we at least waive the passport fees? And the president not even making a statement to express deep sympathy for those lost??? I guess we can't bother him while he's celebrating the holidays on his Texas ranch.

I believe (and I could be wrong) that the United Nations members are expected to contribute 0.7% of their gross national product for world assistance. The fact that the US contributed a measly 0.14% last year is embarrassing.

Comment

Bush inauguration fever hits Washington
          http://sg.news.yahoo.com/041225/1/3phfy.html

The US capital is already busy gearing up for the pomp and ceremony. Four days of festivities will culminate January 20 with Bush's swearing in ceremony at the US Congress, his parade to the White House and nine inauguration balls.

The final bill for all the celebrations will be a cool 40 million dollars -- a record in US history -- mostly financed by donations.
          The inauguration festivities are funded privately, so I realize it's basically apples and oranges comparing it to disaster relief, but when it comes to relative priorities and how much it costs to get things done and viewing the U.S. as a rich but stingy nation . . . ouch ouch ouch.
          Married to a hematopathologist seven years out of training.
          Raising three girls, 11, 9, and 2.

“That was the thing about the world: it wasn't that things were harder than you thought they were going to be, it was that they were hard in ways that you didn't expect.”
          Lev Grossman, The Magician King

Comment

In defense of America (again...aren't I the token europhile on board here?), though our govt has donated less so far, keeping with the corporacracy that we have, corporations are and will continue to get on board and shovel out millions. In addition, though our govt. is stingy, the hearts of the american people are big...and they are coming out in droves to make donations.

kris
            ~Mom of 5, married to an ID doc
            ~A Rolling Stone Gathers No Moss

Comment

Amen to that! People are gooood. I am loving this link--the box on the right-hand side shows the donations made just through this one source, and you can hit refresh over and over and the numbers have gone up every time. Yay!

http://s1.amazon.com/exec/varzea/ts/...038545-5822451
              Married to a hematopathologist seven years out of training.
              Raising three girls, 11, 9, and 2.

“That was the thing about the world: it wasn't that things were harder than you thought they were going to be, it was that they were hard in ways that you didn't expect.”
              Lev Grossman, The Magician King

Comment

Kris, What a great point!!! What so many consider to be part of our "evil empire" (corporations) in the end are the most generous with $$$ and resources. And Americans are so very generous on their own, too...I think I'll go donate now, actually. Truly, I wish I could go and provide relief with a healthcare team.....but it wouldn't go over so well with my 1 year old sidekick left at home.

Comment

Someone on the news suggested we donated the $40 million being spent on the innauguration
                  Luanne
                  wife, mother, nurse practitioner

"You have not converted a man because you have silenced him." (John, Viscount Morely, On Compromise, 1874)

Comment

Originally posted by Luanne123
                    Someone on the news suggested we donated the $40 million being spent on the innauguration
                    I think they're on to something!
                    Awake is the new sleep!

Comment

This morning the white house upped the total to 350 million. Here's what I love about politics...we all criticized the administration for giving such a paltry sum...now the dems are criticizing him because "where will we get that money from"?

kris
                      ~Mom of 5, married to an ID doc
                      ~A Rolling Stone Gathers No Moss

Comment

Isn't there always something for people to *itch about?!

Comment

Originally posted by Luanne123
                          I was thinking the same thing!!!

Comment

Working...
                          X