Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

IMAX passes on showing science film in southern states

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

:>

My husband thinks it's hysterical. She sent us a care package that we just got a couple of days ago. It was full of chocolate for the kids and Thomas's favorite chocolates..and a special german cleaning towel for me.....She always sends the exact same towel to me whenever she mails a package.

You would think the 5 unopened cleaning towels in my cupboard would be a hint. :>
    ~Mom of 5, married to an ID doc
    ~A Rolling Stone Gathers No Moss

Comment

Originally posted by ljnamaste
      Originally posted by Rapunzel
      I chose:

It's not the government censoring this or forcing a business decision - it's a simple matter of businesses go where the profit is.

Jennifer
      Actually yes it is. Texas, Georgia and the Carolina's have banned the movie from being shown in these states. If this isn't government censorship then I don't know what is.
      Ummm... The article clearly states that the distributors for the movie in those states have decided not to air the film. That's not the same thing as a state government deciding the film shouldn't be aired. The distributors are businessmen with a profit margin to maintain.

Is there another article you've read that you could link us to which states these state governments have banned the movie within their boundaries?

Jennifer
      Who uses a machete to cut through red tape
      With fingernails that shine like justice
      And a voice that is dark like tinted glass

Comment

I really liked that article, Kris. I have to go pick up Jon from work right now (and keep the kids from killing each other since I've been on the computer for about an hour now ) so I can't type much else at the moment.

I think that evolution must be looked at critically. I find it disturbing when people become emotional over the topic - both for and against. I see a number of people that become quite emotionally charged when evolution is looked at through very critical eyes and that is contrary to the way science should operate. True science is ever-questioning and, yes, ever-evolving as new information is added to our current fund of knowledge. Evolution as it pertains to mutations (usually negative in individuals of a species) is very interesting. Obviously the genetic code within each of the kingdoms allows for a great deal of differentiation within certain perimeters. But, what is really interesting is the emotional resistance you see from some when the problems with current evolutionary theory (in the terms of species evolving over the course of time into entirely different species) are pointed out (ie such as the lack of a conclusive fossil record and the mass extinctions followed by massive "appearances" of new creatures in the fossil record).

I think it is problematic when anyone holds to a part of science so strongly that it is a religious fervor. In that way, science is most certainly a religion for many and that type of thinking stands in the way of further scientific knowledge.

Jennifer
        Who uses a machete to cut through red tape
        With fingernails that shine like justice
        And a voice that is dark like tinted glass

Comment

"IMAX theaters in Texas, Georgia and the Carolinas have declined to show the film, said Pietro Serapiglia, who handles distribution for Stephen Low, the film's Montreal-based director and producer."

The way I see it is that IMAX decided to pull the movie in these states because the local IMAX theater mgmt refused to show it. Why would these particular theaters refuse it?
          It appears to be an objection from someone/somewhere resulted in IMAX selectively pulling the movie from Texas, Georgia and the Carolinas. What about the other southern states? It's not being pulled from them. If it were an IMAX/distributor fueled decision from the beginning, they would have included more than just those 4 states.

There appears to be an indirect censorship going on. I was incorrect in saying it was governmental because I have no proof that the gov't was the origin.

Comment

I have to agree with Nellie here. The company chose not to show it, it wasn't banned. (I think!!!).
            Luanne
            Luanne
            wife, mother, nurse practitioner

"You have not converted a man because you have silenced him." (John, Viscount Morely, On Compromise, 1874)

Comment

The theaters that decided not to show the movie are independently owned. The refusal to show the movie was a local one based on protests from those screening the movie that disagreed with the content matter related to evolution.

Of course, they have every right to run their business as they see fit. If they don't think they will make money on the film then they don't have to show it. I simply disagree with their reasoning.

Comment

Working...
              X