Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Competitive Birthing...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Competitive Birthing...

It seems we've hit an all new mothering low. I've heard a lot of talk lately that basically infers that a woman should either have a home birth or at the very least a 'natural' (no pain-meds) delivery in order to be a 'good' mom/strong woman.

In my eyes, healthy baby/healthy mom should be the desired outcome. And Good grief....people used to have to have teeth extracted w/o pain meds, but now that there is anesthesia, I don't see people rushing in to have a 'natural' tooth extraction. :!

kris
    ~Mom of 5, married to an ID doc
    ~A Rolling Stone Gathers No Moss

I completely agree with you! My best friend said she felt guilty because she never labored at all and delivered via c-section. I told her "Honey, you didn't miss a THING!" We're all moms....it doesn't matter how the baby comes out as long as he/she is healthy and has a loving family!

Comment

I am SO glad I am not the only one to make the dental comparison!

Comment

Originally posted by HeartRN
        We're all moms....it doesn't matter how the baby comes out as long as he/she is healthy and has a loving family!
        Yes, yes, YES! EXACTLY!

I wanted to add about the whole dental thing: There actually are people that are so into what they call "natural" medicine that they will NOT see a dentist for things like, oh, a root canal! I kid you not. Those people exist (and believe that toothpaste causes cavities )....

Jennifer
        Who uses a machete to cut through red tape
        With fingernails that shine like justice
        And a voice that is dark like tinted glass

Comment

I've met them...I worked at a health food store for a year.

Comment

...and that sunscreen -- not sun exposure -- causes skin cancer.

Note, I'm not lumping homebirth or natural childbirth into the above category. I don't think it really matters how you got your baby -- c-section, epidural, no drugs, at home, adoption, whatever -- just please don't tell me how I should deliver mine or make inferences about my who I am based on that!

Comment

Two c-sections with epidurals and the maximum amount of allowed drugs. Any other way is just unnatural and stupid!!!!!
              Luanne
              wife, mother, nurse practitioner

"You have not converted a man because you have silenced him." (John, Viscount Morely, On Compromise, 1874)

Comment

Absolutely!! My epidural wore off with my second delivery, and I didn't get my bolus in time for her. It hurt bad!! Her birth was no more special than my son's. Granted I didn't go the whole time without drugs, and I had no plans to! My perfect pain-free birth was ruined! My kids turned out fine, and for the most part, I had very limited pain. Hooray for the epidural. I do not and will not ever understand the desire for natural child birth. Why would you want to be writhing in pain?

I agree with Luanne, doing it without the maximum amount of allowed drugs is unnatural and stupid.
                Heidi, PA-S1 - wife to an orthopaedic surgeon, mom to Ryan, 17, and Alexia, 11.

Comment

YOu can tell we live in a first world country when we hear there is something wrong with medical intervention or pain medication in childbirth. :!

Comment

I here ya! A perfect stranger recently asked me if I was going to have an epidural. When I said, "Yes", she proceeded to lecture me on how I was making a bad decision and how, if I went without medication, I would feel more empowered as a woman. Ummm, whatever...I'm sure this woman wouldn't have appreciated it if I lectured her about how I thought her decision to go without medication was a little crazy, so what gives her the right to lecture me on my choice? I think every expectant mother should be encouraged to do whatever they think is best for them!

Comment

Originally posted by EDWife
                      she proceeded to lecture me on how I was making a bad decision and how, if I went without medication, I would feel more empowered as a woman.
                      What is up with these strangers who feel the need to give their unasked for advice?! Having labored without meds for most of it, I can say that I did *not* feel at all empowered for suffering like that. (picture me on my hands and knees bawling and bellowing like an injured cow ) I think the epidural made the experience 1000x better - I actually was much more aware of things.

And what's up with the toothpaste and sunscreen avoidance? :!

Comment

...she proceeded to lecture me on how I was making a bad decision and how, if I went without medication, I would feel more empowered as a woman.

Writhing in pain is NOT empowering to me. I was induced twice so I really didn't have a choice but if I ever have another and go into labor naturally I will DEFINITELY have an epidural. I had one wear off and I will NEVER do that again.
                        Flynn

Wife to post training CT surgeon; mother of three kids ages 17, 15, and 11.

“It is our choices, Harry, that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities.” —Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets " Albus Dumbledore

Comment

Originally posted by EDWife
                          if I went without medication, I would feel more empowered as a woman.
                          Uh - hello? You've grown a person in your uterus - that's pretty damn' empowering. What's more "empowering"? CARING for the kid once it gets here, whether by c-section, vaginal birth or via adoption. The care and nurturing a kid gets is what shows the real grit of a woman! Sometimes I just hate people.

After I got my epidural when I was in labor with DS#1, I wanted dh to wheel me around the maternity ward so I could collect donations to erect a statue in honor of whomever created the epidural. They are good things!

Last bit: whatever makes mommy sane is good for the baby.

Comment

After I got my epidural when I was in labor with DS#1, I wanted dh to wheel me around the maternity ward so I could collect donations to erect a statue in honor of whomever created the epidural. They are good things!
                            :ra: :ra:

ME TOO!!!! I was SO THANKFUL the pain stopped I was ready to sing, dance, anything that communicated uphoria!!!
                            Flynn

Wife to post training CT surgeon; mother of three kids ages 17, 15, and 11.

“It is our choices, Harry, that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities.” —Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets " Albus Dumbledore

Comment

Ok, well, I guess I'll go out on a limb here and say that I'm hoping to be able to have this baby without an epidural. [I should probably insert a big disclaimer here in that I haven't yet experienced childbirth!!]

Yes, I believe in anesthesia for a tooth extraction; yes, I believe in brushing my teeth; and yes, I believe in sunscreen. I don't know why I feel differently about childbirth (as opposed to a tooth extraction, I mean), I guess the best way for me to describe it is that I want to be able to fully experience it. I do have a pretty high tolerance for pain, but I'm not going to go crazy and demand a natural childbirth at all costs. I plan to be flexible and see how things go, and if they don't go according to my initial plan (which seems pretty likely!) then that's fine too. I don't have super strong feelings about it (I'm probably the least 'crunchy' person I know), but natural childbirth is something that I'd like to try. That being said, I certainly don't have opinions on whether other women should do the same.

So ... I'm going to go hide and you can all laugh at poor uninformed, inexperienced me. :!
                              ~Jane

-Wife of urology attending.
                              -SAHM to three great kiddos (2 boys, 1 girl!)

Comment

Working...
                              X