Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

"The Passing Out Game"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "The Passing Out Game"

http://www.cnn.com/2005/US/07/13/choking.game.ap/
    http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20050817/ap_ ... oking_game

This freaks me the hell out. I know that human beings, and children, have a natural tendency to want to get high, I think that's the whole twirling around and getting dizzy thing.
    But are kids really getting so little excitement from life that they want to asphyxiate themselves? And how do we prevent our own children from getting dragged into something like this? If my kid would be telling me she's gonna tie a rope around her neck for kicks, I'd gladly provide her with rolling paper and what to fill it with. It's so much safer.
    I used to hold my breath when I was a kid, to see what would happen, but I never took it to this extreme. Are these kids stupid? Are they bored? I just don't get it.
    Enabler of DW and 5 kids
    Let's go Mets!

I hadn't heard about this. Crazy! Really, are kids that bored?

Comment

I would say most kids lack a deep moving curisoty about the world. How is that for a loaded statement?

Really, there is a natural need for alter consciuosness, but you can get that by imagination and thought too.

Do you all think lack of supervision plays a part, or lack of "family"

Comment

OMG, I had no idea!
        ~Jane

-Wife of urology attending.
        -SAHM to three great kiddos (2 boys, 1 girl!)

Comment

This was a problem when I was in high school (11 years ago). In fact my neighbor who was in my class, and a good friend died this way--- it was really sad, his then at the time 4 year old sister and 6 year old brother found him. What freaks me out is that younger and younger kids are experimenting this way, not to mention that any kid or teenager is experimenting this way.

Crystal
          Gas, and 4 kids

Comment

This goes right on the list with the 100 million other things that freak me out about kids, especially pre-teens and teens.

Not the least of which was about a year or so ago when I was watching Oprah and they were taling about 12 year olds having oral sex. I about had a heart attack right there. I am not that old, and didn't go to high school THAT long ago, and that kind of stuff wasn't even in my conciousness. I probably had friends who didn't know what that was. I was the rather wordly girl in my circle, but I would have thought that oral sex was, well, ewww. We won't go into my current feelings on the subject. Sometimes I type way too much I think....

Dead bolts, GPS systems, and surveillance cameras are a good 10th birthday present I think.

:thud:

You parents of preschoolers and toddlers just wait, tomorrow you'll wake up and wonder where your baby went.
            Heidi, PA-S1 - wife to an orthopaedic surgeon, mom to Ryan, 17, and Alexia, 11.

Comment

That is scary. When I was a kid (probably 12 or 13) we used to do this thing where we would hyperventilate and then a friend would come up behind us and squeeze us around our stomach (similar to the heimlich) to try and pass out. I suppose it's a similar concept, but I guess less risky. And I was supposedly a smart kid. I also recall lighting coffee creamer in our basement to make fireballs. I'm terrified about the kind of crapy my kids could possibly try and pull. I suppose supervision would be key in preventing this sort of thing, as well as educating parents who probably don't have a clue what's going on.
              Awake is the new sleep!

Comment

I had friends who did ALL sorts of things. Drugs off ALL kinds, huffing, etc. - and I got my thrill by being in their inner circle but not doing it (I guess I was always the worry-wort). I was no angel, but steered clear of the drug thing. The way things are now TERRIFIES me. I guess the worst part is it all seems to happen so EARLY!

My mom thought she knew what was going on with me - and I'm here to tell you she didn't. I don't know how I'm going to let my kids out of the house, let alone driving, sleep-overs, etc. :thud:

Comment

Ahhh, I remember this in middle school. The cheerleaders at my school all liked to play this "game" with each other in the girls' bathroom.
                  I never could understand the attraction of it.

Jennifer
                  Who uses a machete to cut through red tape
                  With fingernails that shine like justice
                  And a voice that is dark like tinted glass

Comment

it was happening when I was in grade/middle school in the 70's/80's.

I also remember pot and booze being sold in the 7th grade locker bay.

Comment

I agree, OMG! We did the holding your breath thing, but choking each other...I don't think so. Hearing more and more about the crazy things kids do in the world today makes me want to have my children and lock them in a closet! It really is very scary!
                      Wife to NSG out of training, mom to 2, 10 & 8, and a beagle with wings.

Comment

Can we just place our little ones in a protective bubble and never let them out? :>

I know that's not realistic but it's what I wish I could do some days.

Crystal
                        Gas, and 4 kids

Comment

Originally posted by cricketnmatt
                          Can we just place our little ones in a protective bubble and never let them out? :>
                          I wish we could do this, too! DH saw a 14 year old patient yesterday who OD'd on cough syrup because he was trying to get high. DH googled that particular brand of cough syrup to see what exactly was in it. All of the sites that were at the top of the google results were websites that explained in detail how to get high off of cough syrup. They laid out instructions on how to boil the cough syrup so you could extract whatever the stuff is that gets you high. One of the websites also went into detail about which brands of cough syrup are better than others.....he found all of this information and he wasn't even really looking for it! I dread the day that my little guy starts using the internet....I can't even stand to think of what he might come across!

Comment

I'm about to send my munchkins back to school. As my little guy grows up, my worries get more and more serious. He is starting at the "big" elementary school this year. I went by the other night and found broken beer bottles in the playground ... and preceded to tell off a group of high school kids hanging out who thought it was funny that I was picking up the broken glass. Their response: "Are you a teacher?" When I said no, they went back to laughing at me. ( DH said they probably thought I couldn't do anything to them then.)

Where can I get one of those bubbles in a large size??
                            Angie
                            Gyn-Onc fellowship survivor - 10 years out of the training years; reluctant suburbanite
                            Mom to DS (18) and DD (15) (and many many pets)

"Where are we going - and what am I doing in this handbasket?"

Comment

Angie -

And the sad thing is you are in the little, idyllic Falls area with it's village, waterfalls and century homes! Imagine what the "playgrounds" look like the closer you get to the "big city".

Next time the answer is "No - but I can still beat your a**". Okay - inappropriate, but it would feel good.

Comment

Working...
                              X