Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

When is "too many?"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by PrincessFiona
    But ultimately, they know I'm the primary caregiver and that they don't have to take care of them. If there was a tragedy and they had to, I do believe that the older ones would rise to the occasion and do it out of love for their siblings. But...I agree with Jenn that that is diff. than having to care for their siblings because mom and dad keep having more.
    That's the key, Kris. Your older kids help out w/the younger ones b/c it's part of family life. The Duggar "way" assigns an older girl to a baby once Michelle is done nursing the baby. THAT is a whole different world than helping out, or even stepping in in the wake of a tragedy.

Yes - they're not depending on public funds to care for their enormous family, but to me it still seems that they're building less a family than an army or compound of people they expect to believe what they believe and live the way they live. I wonder how they'll react if one (or more) or their kids chooses to abandon the church -- or even worse -- ends up being GAY?

Comment

Originally posted by Genivieve
      But ultimately, they know I'm the primary caregiver and that they don't have to take care of them. If there was a tragedy and they had to, I do believe that the older ones would rise to the occasion and do it out of love for their siblings. But...I agree with Jenn that that is diff. than having to care for their siblings because mom and dad keep having more.
      That's the key, Kris. Your older kids help out w/the younger ones b/c it's part of family life. The Duggar "way" assigns an older girl to a baby once Michelle is done nursing the baby. THAT is a whole different world than helping out, or even stepping in in the wake of a tragedy.

Yes - they're not depending on public funds to care for their enormous family, but to me it still seems that they're building less a family than an army or compound of people they expect to believe what they believe and live the way they live. I wonder how they'll react if one (or more) or their kids chooses to abandon the church -- or even worse -- ends up being GAY?
      ITA! Or gasp...da, da, da, dum....athiest. OOOOOOOH. I know the liklihood of that is slim, but being homosexual does tend to make a person shy away from religion. Wonder why? :>
      Heidi, PA-S1 - wife to an orthopaedic surgeon, mom to Ryan, 17, and Alexia, 11.

Comment

DH has watched the specials about the family with me and his comment? How will they afford to help send their kids to college?
        ~Mom of 5, married to an ID doc
        ~A Rolling Stone Gathers No Moss

Comment

DH has watched the specials about the family with me and his comment? How will they afford to help send their kids to college?
          Ummm, they won't. A lot of families don't help send their kids to college. Mine didn't. Let's just say that I will be shocked if any of these girls go to college. The oldest one wants to be a lawyer and is 19 now. I wonder if he is in college, or still has to have a buddy at the house. I clearly believe that there is absolutely NO way to give your children all the attention they require when you have 17 of them. NO way.
          Heidi, PA-S1 - wife to an orthopaedic surgeon, mom to Ryan, 17, and Alexia, 11.

Comment

Originally posted by Vanquisher
            Ummm, they won't. A lot of families don't help send their kids to college. Mine didn't. Let's just say that I will be shocked if any of these girls go to college. The oldest one wants to be a lawyer and is 19 now. I wonder if he is in college, or still has to have a buddy at the house. I clearly believe that there is absolutely NO way to give your children all the attention they require when you have 17 of them. NO way.
            IF the kids go to college, I can't help thinking the lovely tax payers will be footing the bill one way or another.

Yes I am a little evil.
            Flynn

Wife to post training CT surgeon; mother of three kids ages 17, 15, and 11.

“It is our choices, Harry, that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities.” —Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets " Albus Dumbledore

Comment

Working...
            X