Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Miers Withdraws Supreme Court Nomination

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Miers Withdraws Supreme Court Nomination

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20051027/ap_ ... _withdraws

What do you guys think about this? The timing is very interesting, considering all that is going on in Washington.

It's the first time I can remember that Bush actually backed away from something. Considering the majority held by the republicans (a big one) I think it's very interesting that the White House couldn't push this one through.

What will he say about his NEXT nominee - since Miers was repeatedly touted as the "best, most qualified person I could find for the job."

Comment

Re: Miers Withdraws Supreme Court Nomination

Originally posted by jillflower
      What do you guys think about this? The timing is very interesting, considering all that is going on in Washington.
      As Bush would say, "It's 'strategery'". (enunciation: stra-tee-jury )

Seriously, I think there's some weird political football going on with this situation.

Jennifer
      Who uses a machete to cut through red tape
      With fingernails that shine like justice
      And a voice that is dark like tinted glass

Comment

Re: Miers Withdraws Supreme Court Nomination

Originally posted by Rapunzel
        As Bush would say, "It's 'strategery'". (enunciation: stra-tee-jury )

Comment

Originally posted by j3qpatel
          What will he say about his NEXT nominee - since Miers was repeatedly touted as the "best, most qualified person I could find for the job."
          Well, I guess he could always say this is the SECOND most qualified person I could find!
          Awake is the new sleep!

Comment

nonononono!
            He will say he always had so and so in mind for the position, but they were unable or unwilling to do it when he asked.
            And who knows, it may be true.
            By nominating Miers, he gave Rove more time to dig up some dirt to use to convince the next nominee to run.

Comment

The scoop here is:

1) the issue of constitutional rights of the executive branch to with hold papers (the Senators were asking for the few things that she has written as White House Counsel but were denied) was a "way out" strategy. Everyone here is heaving a huge sigh of relief because apparently everyone thought this was a candidate from left field in the first place. and why? because Rove didn't handle this one, Andrew Card did. So.....if Rove is indicted, I would fully expect that Bush will completely cave to the extreme right wing for two reasons- 1) they're pretty much disgusted with the recent events and 2) because the Republicans who have to run in the next election are preparing that they will lose some seats that were supported by the extreme right. The Moderate Republicans are apoplectic because they may lose their next elections because their base is moderate and swing voters from both parties- and people will kick them to the curb if the moderates can't get a handle on the extremists in their own party.

Meanwhile, Schumer from NY (D) who is clearly vetting himself as a potential Presidential candidate, can't shut the F up. He'll pimp himself out for whatever news channel happens to be walking by. I bet he'd try to get on Sesame Street if Elmo had a microphone.

Jenn

Comment

Yeah - I heard that the prep sessions weren't going well, and that was part of the reason they finally decided to cave. A guy who was in the prep sessions was on the Today Show this AM, and when asked about this, never denied it. He said "Well, I was in those prep sessions, and Ms. Meiers is an exteremely intelligent .... blah blah blah".

I just keep going back to the thought that this is the first time I've ever seen Bush cave. He must have even more of a confused look than usual. This is the most chaos his administration has ever seen.

Comment

Originally posted by jloreine
                  I bet he'd try to get on Sesame Street if Elmo had a microphone.
                  Sadly, I think there's been a video or episode where Elmo did have a microphone. (The sad part being that I actually KNOW this, not that Elmo's actually had a microphone!)

Comment

Working...
                  X