Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Profanity

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I thought that was a George Carlin skit?

Comment

I thought he was making fun of an actual court ruling...
      Mom of 3, Veterinarian

Comment

Yes, there is a Supreme Court case about Carlin's skit on the 7 words and whether it is considered obscenity. If I recall correctly (it's been a long time since I read the case), the law suit was against a radio station that played Carlin's skit. I don't even remember the outcome of the case -I think it was found to be obscene.

Perhaps, someone who remembers this case better than I do can say.
        Wife of Ophthalmologist and Mom to my daughter and two boys.

Comment

What are the 7 words??? I'm dieing to know!
          Awake is the new sleep!

Comment

I'll PM you. (So I don't offend!! ) It's a great skit. And I agree that two of the words don't even belong on the list.
            Angie
            Gyn-Onc fellowship survivor - 10 years out of the training years; reluctant suburbanite
            Mom to DS (18) and DD (15) (and many many pets)

"Where are we going - and what am I doing in this handbasket?"

Comment

Originally posted by goofy
              I'll PM you. (So I don't offend!! ) It's a great skit. And I agree that two of the words don't even belong on the list.
              I know, who ever became offended by cs-er or mf-er?

(OK, I'm guessing pizz + teats)

Comment

The tits thing pisses me off to no end. You can have boobies busting out for jeans ads aimed at highschoolers, wet tee shirts in movies made for 13 year olds, but you can't say tit on tv?

Comment

I never got the PM out. Boo hiss. Here's the list (in *code* of course!)

Sh**
                  piss
                  F***
                  cu*t
                  cs-er
                  mf-er
                  tits

I spelled out the two that don't belong. Rude? Yes. But as profane as the rest? I don't think.
                  Angie
                  Gyn-Onc fellowship survivor - 10 years out of the training years; reluctant suburbanite
                  Mom to DS (18) and DD (15) (and many many pets)

"Where are we going - and what am I doing in this handbasket?"

Comment

Thanks Angie, now I can sleep at night!
                    Honestly, I'm probably a little skewed and I swear I don't talk like the aforementioned Sailors, but out of all of those, I really only think 3 or 4 of them are all that bad.
                    Awake is the new sleep!

Comment

Okay, out of the seven words, what is the most profane to you? How would you rank them in order of most profane to the not so bad?

Mine

cu*t
                      cs-er and mf-er - tie
                      tits
                      f***
                      sh**
                      piss

I don't like slang for anatomy.
                      Heidi, PA-S1 - wife to an orthopaedic surgeon, mom to Ryan, 17, and Alexia, 11.

Comment

My list is similar to yours Heidi.

cu*t--I absolutely loathe that word! Although the little skit in Vagina Monologues had me laughing my a** off!!!
                        mf-er
                        cs-er
                        f***
                        sh**
                        tits
                        piss
                        Awake is the new sleep!

Comment

The thing is, I remember when "damn" was considered pushing it as far as language on t.v., and now they can say GD, Bitch, Pissed ... on prime time. It doesn't bother me, and as long as the kid shows still don't do it I don't care (although I've had it with stupid, dummy, idiot and the like.).

I'm an adult, I know how to speak properly and how to tailor myself for the audience around me. If my kids hear or say a word I don't approve of for their age, I correct them. But they're only words, and they only have the power you give them. A friend of mine who had grown up in Poland told me once that when she was REALLY mad she would swear in Polish b/c the English words meant nothing to her.

My kids think they're saying something "powerful" when they say "sacapuntas" (pencil sharpener) b/c we told them that is what to say when you're really frustrated. It's just a word, and it has the power they give it.

Comment

I totally agree with you Jenn. That's how I feel about profanity.
                            Heidi, PA-S1 - wife to an orthopaedic surgeon, mom to Ryan, 17, and Alexia, 11.

Comment

A friend of mine who had grown up in Poland told me once that when she was REALLY mad she would swear in Polish b/c the English words meant nothing to her.
                              I totally agree with this. Russian curses are whole different language and can't even compare to a handful of what's available in English. May be that's why to me cursing in English doesn't seem as powerful as when it's done in Russian.

Comment

Wow Jenn- you took the words out of my mouth.
                                Wife to a Urologist. Mom to DD 15, DD 12, DD 2, and DD 1!
                                Native Jayhawk, paroled from GA... settling in Minnesota!

Comment

Working...
                                X