Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Famous Peeps Spouting Off Politically

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Famous Peeps Spouting Off Politically

I run hot and cold on this. I have no problem with famous people stating their opinions, or raising money for certain causes. They have the spotlight, and better to shed some light on and idea or issue that is important to them than just their next movie or album.

They're still citizens, they still have the right to free speech, and some of our greatest songs from the past are politically motivated.

I guess I give more credit to Bono, or even the home breaking Angelina Jolie who put their time, effort and money where their mouth is. The Dixie Chicks "we're ashamed Bush is from Texas" doesn't speak to a point. Pink's "Dear Mr. President" does.

I think MY problem would lie with the ninnys who says something like "The Dixie Chicks don't like Bush so I'm not going to vote for him" rather than making their own decision.

Sadly, Eminem's song "Mosh" did not have the intended effect of rallying young people to the polls in 2004. But the animated video was way cool.
    Alison

Comment

I have no problem with any citizen speaking out on their opinions. Famous people shouldn't be stripped of that right because they are in the spotlight. If you think they are stupid and uninformed....then just ignore them! I give serious props to people that speak their mind. That takes guts. Particularly in this political climate.

I do get peeved if I think a star is acting as a figurehead for something they DON'T believe in in order to soak up good PR. I don't know how often this happens, but I'm sure that it does. I imagine smarmy agents telling them to get to this benefit or that public appearance at a disaster center because it would be good for their image. Bleh. That's distasteful.
      Angie
      Gyn-Onc fellowship survivor - 10 years out of the training years; reluctant suburbanite
      Mom to DS (18) and DD (15) (and many many pets)

"Where are we going - and what am I doing in this handbasket?"

Comment

Here in DC, we see them all as they parade in front of Congress trying to rally support for their respective causes:

Jessica Simpson for Operation Smile
        Michael J. Fox for Parkinsons
        All of the pro football players who have kids with those bizarrely rare illnesses (wierd, huh?)
        Bo Derek with her animal causes (she's a HUGE Republican fund-raiser though and John Corbet was here with her because he's her new boy toy)

and of course Angielina and Bono (who is here quite regularly, BTW)

I don't care who says what. I HOPE that if they're choosing to express their opinions as celebrities, that they're well-thought out opinions. But, if not, then we'll have another 25 page post a la TomKat.

Jenn

PS- I love the Dixie Chicks and I personally agree with them which in fact made me buy their last cd.

Comment

I'm almost more annoyed with the person interviewing the celeb when they ask how they feel about whatever political situation than I am with the celeb or their response. I'm thinking specifically about seeing an interview with Britney Spears before the last election and they asked her how she felt about the president. Her response sounded like it came from a 10 year old. Why in the hell did they even want to know where she stands politically?
          When a celebrity picks some cause to get active in, I think that's fine and noble that they are using their resources to do something good.
          Awake is the new sleep!

Comment

Originally posted by SueC
            I'm thinking specifically about seeing an interview with Britney Spears before the last election and they asked her how she felt about the president. Her response sounded like it came from a 10 year old. Why in the hell did they even want to know where she stands politically?
            I think once a celeb gets a reputation for being dim, then they try to bait them into saying stupid things because it's entertaining.
            Married to a hematopathologist seven years out of training.
            Raising three girls, 11, 9, and 2.

“That was the thing about the world: it wasn't that things were harder than you thought they were going to be, it was that they were hard in ways that you didn't expect.”
            Lev Grossman, The Magician King

Comment

I know if I had the platform, I'd take full advantage of it. It's funny, the expectations we have of celebrities - we want to see thier movies/tours, know what they're up to as witnessed by paparazi, but think it's odd when they have an opinion at an award show, no matter how based in reality or how well (or poorly) thought out it is. Maybe we're so used to seeing their rehearsed shtick that we only want the fly-on-the-wall perspective.

I dig the Chicks and thought what they said was brazen, in a good way. Gotta add them to my running/gym playlist...

Comment

Originally posted by Julie
                I think once a celeb gets a reputation for being dim, then they try to bait them into saying stupid things because it's entertaining.
                and easy.

Comment

Working...
                X