Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Z. Moussaoui Verdict

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Z. Moussaoui Verdict

If anyone can explain to me why there was a trial at all -- he confessed, right?

I think he was a hanger-on, certainly not directly involved. I think the gov't. claim that if he'd talked they would have been able to prevent 9/11 is BUNK. The various institutions already had several pieces of the puzzle that they didn't put together -- why would this have gone any more smoothly.

As far as the sentence goes - I think it was the right one. Death at the hands of the Americans would have brought him his 1000 virgins (or whatever it is) and made him a martyr to the cause. Sitting in a 7 x 10 cell for 23 hours a day w/o contact with the outside world is far worse than death, IMO. The downside is that we have to pay to keep him there, but executing him wouldn't have fixed anything. It would only have served to allow the US gov't to say "see? we've held someone accountable." even if the "someone" they held accountable was a lackey.

I agree completely!
    Awake is the new sleep!

Comment

Me too!!
      Luanne
      wife, mother, nurse practitioner

"You have not converted a man because you have silenced him." (John, Viscount Morely, On Compromise, 1874)

Comment

What kind of debate is this if everyone agrees?

BTW, old info, but for many reasons including the appeals process, it is actually LESS expensive to imprison someone for life than to give a death sentence. Really. This was true 5+ years ago. Any law folks know if it still is true?

Comment

Originally posted by jfinma
          What kind of debate is this if everyone agrees?
          Well, it's not uncommon for everyone to agree with my well-thought-out, rational opinions.

Comment

Re: Z. Moussaoui Verdict

Originally posted by jesher
            If anyone can explain to me why there was a trial at all -- he confessed, right?
            I thought the trial was just for sentencing.

It sounds to me like they made the right decision.
            Married to a hematopathologist seven years out of training.
            Raising three girls, 11, 9, and 2.

“That was the thing about the world: it wasn't that things were harder than you thought they were going to be, it was that they were hard in ways that you didn't expect.”
            Lev Grossman, The Magician King

Comment

Working...
            X