Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Philanthropy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Philanthropy

I've just read about Warren Buffet throwing a large chunk of his estate in with the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation funds. It's got me feeling *gasp* hopeful. What about you? Do you think 70 billion dollars invested towards improving third world countries and building up the poor in this world could help?

If you could direct that kindof financial power to change the world, what would you target? Where?
    Angie
    Gyn-Onc fellowship survivor - 10 years out of the training years; reluctant suburbanite
    Mom to DS (18) and DD (15) (and many many pets)

"Where are we going - and what am I doing in this handbasket?"

I think the Gates Foundation is doing some pretty amazing work with regard to education in the United States. I would definitely funnel money in that direction. The work they're doing in the 3rd world is commendable too, I'm just not as familiar with it. I love that Warren Buffet is throwing money behind them .... that much money directed w/o political bullsh*t is awe-inspiring power. And it doesn't seem that Gates is really in it for the "glory" -- it really seems they are trying to improve the world.

As to where I'd direct it, I'll have to think.

Comment

I don't know exactly the truth to this but I heard some time ago that they shut down a lot of mental facilities and that there were a bunch of vietnam vets that had very serious ptsd put on the streets and that a large number of our homeless come from this great govermental cut back. If I had the money to donate somewhere that might be where I started. I know some people are on the streets because they want to be but i also know some are there because they dont know how to function any longer. I think its very sad when I see these people out there cold and hungry and lonely.

I wish there was a way to tell the ones in need from the ones that are just trying to make a buck

Comment

If some time ago was during the Reagan administration, then yeah, thats true.

What strikes me is that in the last few weeks we have seen at least 3 mentions of charity on the news...the Jolie-Pitt baby pics and their other donations, Bill Gates retiring to focus on his charity, and now Warren Buffet donating to the Gates Foundation. Usually the only time a charity gets attention here is when there is a big disaster like 9/11 or Katrina, and involves televised performances.

Comment

Deinstitutionalization had disasterous effects on the mentally ill in this country that we've been unable to recover from since. The last statistic I read classified 70% the homeless population as mentally ill. Don't get me started... that's a system that needs serious fixing.

The Gates Foundation just about signs my paycheck. We get most of our grant funding through them. We really hope that the availability of more funds will benefit more high schools, increase our workload, and result in a brighter workforce and more college-prepared high school graduates. They also work tirelessly to stem the spread of HIV/AIDS, TB and malaria worldwide. I have no doubt that the gift of Buffett's Berkshire stock is going to be put to amazing use.

People like Buffett and Gates are (unfortunately) a rare breed.

Comment

There was an interesting discussion on this topic (kind of) on Talk of the Nation today (on NPR). A lot of the program that I caught was related more towards the idea of oversite, and too much power resting with the money. A couple people called in to say that folks like Gates, Buffett and Paul Newman are doing it only for the tax advantage (which their philanthropy expert dismissed due to 'limits' on the amout of credit a person can get).

I think it's phenomonal, and I think the direction the Gates Foundation is heading is admirable.

Comment

Working...
            X