Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Iraq War

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Iraq War

I listened to a report today on NPR about the only military burn center (in San Antonio). As of today's report, the number of dead is just over 2,500, the number of wounded is over 18,000.

For better or worse, the wounded are more hurt, more physically and mentally wounded than could have / would have (maybe should have) survived previous wars. They spoke of a 19 year old who lost both legs & one arm, and was burned over 93% of his body. 93%. The only area they had to take grafts from was his scalp. This poor young man is now facing a life of pain, probably seclusion from much of the staring, gaping public, limited function ... and all for THIS WAR.

Would it be any less sad if it were for something I agreed with? Less sad - no - the life he lost is still devastating -- but less anger inducing?? I have to assume so.

We were not / are not defending or liberating a people any more tortured or persecuted than millions of others across the globe. We are not truly defending ourselves against the terrorists (well, now we probably are b/c we've created a breeding ground for them, but we sure as hell weren't when we went in there). Saddam was evil - so are 100 others. He was not an immediate threat - he was a big talker. Should we have this debate again? No. Pretty much everyone here has made it known where they stand on the topic.

But that story today made me cry. 93% of his body covered in one of the most painful wounds a person can suffer. It's unforgivable.

These are our children (ok some of us).
    Luanne
    wife, mother, nurse practitioner

"You have not converted a man because you have silenced him." (John, Viscount Morely, On Compromise, 1874)

Comment

and he died two days after they left.

I wish you guys could see these people. They are amazing. The docs, the nurses, the techs. and then the soldiers and their families.

BAMC does burns, WRAMC does the orthopedic, neurological and eye damage. You want to see strength? We take Nikolai to the cafeteria after his appointments and we're surrounded by injured soldiers and their families. These people make me feel like I cannot do enough to support them. Enough with the f-ing yellow magnetic ribbons and fake flags. Donate that money to the Fisher Houses on the closest base to you and do some good for the families. Another day paid to stay with the 19 year old son is infinitely more important than being 'more patriotic' than the car next to you at the red light.

temporary end of soapbox.

Jenn

Comment

DCJenn -- I've never heard of that -- Fisher House? How do you find them?

Comment

Here's the information. It's a great program and they offer a ton of support to the families:

http://www.fisherhouse.org/

Jenn

Comment

Sort of like Ronald McDonald houses, for military hospitals.

Sally
            Wife of an OB/Gyn, mom to three boys, middle school choir teacher.

"I don't know when Dad will be home."

Comment

Good to know. I'm going to check in to donating there myself.
              Angie
              Gyn-Onc fellowship survivor - 10 years out of the training years; reluctant suburbanite
              Mom to DS (18) and DD (15) (and many many pets)

"Where are we going - and what am I doing in this handbasket?"

Comment

Working...
              X