Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Nudity

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nudity

Mother Nature, not an ordinance, will draw the covers over public nudity in Brattleboro.
    The town's Select Board decided Tuesday to take no action on an anti- nudity ordinance that was introduced in response to a clothing- optional movement launched by local teenagers this summer.

"Winter is coming. If spring comes and we still have a problem, we'll take another look at it," said Select Board Chairman Steve Steidle.

Vermont has no state law against public nudity, though at least eight communities have banned it locally.

Brattleboro, however, has long had a live-and-let-live culture. Its 12,000 residents have seen clothing-optional swimming holes, streakers, and even an event known as "Breast Fest," with women parading topless.

But the public nature of the latest movement _ naked teens smack in the heart of downtown _ raised eyebrows.

The stripping apparently started in early summer when a young woman sat naked on a park bench, said Police Chief John Martin. Then another woman took her shirt off downtown, a music festival inspired nude hula hoopers in a downtown parking lot, and in August a half dozen young people bared their bodies in a parking lot encircled by the backs of bookstores, coffee shops and restaurants.

One of the nudists, 19-year-old Adhi Palar, told the town board the issue was freedom.

"Our acting in nudity is an act of celebration of this history and traditional values as a place where you're allowed to be nude," he said. "I find that important, and I find that proud."

Not everyone agreed.

"I just think it's anarchy, because they won," said resident Theresa Toney, whose complaint about the public nudity prompted the debate. "It's inappropriate behavior for downtown. It has nothing to do with the weather. There's good behavior and there's bad behavior and that's bad behavior."

Town Manager Jerry Remillard said the town's image was tarnished by the uproar.

"We have been the brunt of phone calls from all over the world," Remillard said. "The media made this into nothing less than a circus."
    http://www.breitbart.com/news/2006/09/06/D8JVD1C00.html

Personally, and as a mother, I have no problem with the anatomy of nudity per se. I do not know how I would feel about it in the middle of my shopping district though. In the form of art, or nature, it is fine.

I think that this town has the right to decide for themselves. I do not believe that there is a sexual component to this story.

How would you feel if it was your town? Would you lobby for or against it? Or would you not care at all?
    Wife to a Urologist. Mom to DD 15, DD 12, DD 2, and DD 1!
    Native Jayhawk, paroled from GA... settling in Minnesota!

My first thought was, "well, won't they be embarrassed in 10 more years."

I think it's one of those situations where the more attention you draw to it, the more nudists will be appearing on park benches everywhere.

My parents were pretty open about body parts- and we're certainly not shy at this stage of the game with a 2 yo- but- I'm sure there's gaggles of hysterical 11 year olds all over that town.

I'm sure it would be off-putting up close and personal but my other thought is exactly what the mayor or whoever it was who pointed out that Vermont is COLD. I say make them stick to it all year...

Jenn

Comment

UC Santa Cruz, CA is (or was) a clothing optional campus. I used to think it was very cool. Now, my more germophobic opinion is that total nudity should be banned on a basis of health issues. I really, really don't want someone's neekid butt on a bench (or perhaps perched on the arm of one) that I am going to sit on. I don't care how well showered the person happens to be. I also don't want hairs shed on the mall walkway. So, I am now an old fuddy-duddy who says NO to total nudity. I would actually send my NO off to town hall.

I don't have the same concerns in water though. I'm ok with skinnydipping. Dilute enough for me.

Comment

All I know is that after a very hot and sweaty day spent at a waterpark last month, I was grossed out enough by the amount of flesh on display that I almost wanted to resign from the human race.

So I guess I would vote no, too. There aren't that many people I want to see naked!

Sally
        Wife of an OB/Gyn, mom to three boys, middle school choir teacher.

"I don't know when Dad will be home."

Comment

Originally posted by mommax3
          There aren't that many people I want to see naked!
          That sums it up right there. Add to that the health issues that Janet mentioned and I would vote NO as well. Though I do have to say that the U.S. as a whole is a bit prudish compared to Europe, this is not the right way to change that.
          Cristina
          IM PGY-2

Comment

Working...
          X