Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Make sure that your spouses do their jobs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Make sure that your spouses do their jobs

From CNN.com

WAUKEGAN, Illinois (AP) -- A coroner's jury has declared the death of a heart attack victim who spent almost two hours in a hospital waiting room to be a homicide.

Beatrice Vance, 49, died of a heart attack, but the jury at a coroner's inquest ruled Thursday that her death also was "a result of gross deviations from the standard of care that a reasonable person would have exercised in this situation."

A spokeswoman for Vista Medical Center in Waukegan, where Vance died July 29, declined to comment on the ruling.

Vance had waited almost two hours for a doctor to see her after complaining of classic heart attack symptoms -- nausea, shortness of breath and chest pains, Deputy Coroner Robert Barrett testified.

She was seen by a triage nurse about 15 minutes after she arrived, and the nurse classified her condition as "semi-emergent," Barrett said. He said Vance's daughter twice asked nurses after that when her mother would see a doctor.

When her name was finally called, a nurse found Vance slumped unconscious in a waiting room chair without a pulse. Barrett said. She was pronounced dead shortly afterward.

Barrett said he subpoenaed records after finding discrepancies in the hospital's version of events.

It wasn't immediately clear if the ruling would lead to criminal charges. Dan Shanes, a chief of felony review for the state attorney's office, said his division needed to review the case.

Vista Medical Center spokeswoman Cheryl Maynen said the hospital, just north of Chicago, cooperated with the coroner's investigation and had also investigated the incident. She declined to comment on the homicide ruling.
    Kelly
    In my dreams I run with the Kenyans.

There was a Closer episode like this last season. It seems like a slippery slope. Sure, there are bad, negligent doctors that I wish got charged with homicide for their obvious indifference to the patients. O the other hand, doctors are human. Their mistakes or lack of action can lead to death of innocents. That's a tough job description. I don't think a homicide ruling is appropriate in most cases. I worry that people think that doctors should be able to fix everything. When they can't, people today just think of it as negligence or worse. They get angry at the system. They don't understand. That's bad.
    Angie
    Gyn-Onc fellowship survivor - 10 years out of the training years; reluctant suburbanite
    Mom to DS (18) and DD (15) (and many many pets)

"Where are we going - and what am I doing in this handbasket?"

Comment

i don't usually get involved in debates after years of public speaking and debating in school i use to get too fired up

just from my 4 years in emergency I would query whether the doctors even knew she was there and the descision to leave her in the waiting room was done so in triage. The doctors here don't know whats in the waiting room until they pull the card of the next patient to be seen. I'd imagine there is a lot more to the story that is being told.

I took over once from someone more junior and she triage someone simularly because her impression was gastroenteritis with heartburn secondary to that which would catogorise at semi urgent, how would the doctors know that if they haven't seen her and don't know she's there because her cards not top of the list. I took one look at her and did an ekg pt was having a massive heart attack. and if I had a penny for every time someone asked me 'when am i going to be seen' 'how long am I going to have to wait' I'd be a rich lady.....not working there anymore, became too synical which is a bad bad thing

Hope I haven't over stepped the line, just feel you can't blame the doctors, or anyone without knowing full details, i mean there could have been loads of code alphas taking up the staff which take priority.

Comment

Working...
      X