Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Evaluation Blues

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Evaluation Blues

So, I just began a new job about a month ago and it's time for my first review. My boss said he had an eval form that he wants me to fill out and then we'd discuss. Basically I'm self evaluating myself then we're to discuss. It sounds like a pain in the ass and I dread these sort of things, but I was like ' sure no problem.' Well I got the form yesterday and it's four freaking pages long with about 30 items I'm supposed to rate myself on and write bullet points as proof of my score. I'm a little pissed about this and think it's total bs as well as a waste of time! My god, can we not discuss how I am doing and what he thinks I need to improve on? I've only been here a month and we work elbow to elbow so it's not like he doesn't see my abilites every second. I truely hate these sort of evaluations and want to refuse doing it. DH says I just have to suck it up, but I am truely pissed! GRRRRRR! Any of you have to suffer thru this sort of crap?
    Wife to Hand Surgeon just out of training, mom to two lovely kittys and little boy, O, born in Sept 08.

I think this is my #1 most hated aspect of corporate life.

And some companies have much more insane processes than others, and I would definitely rate yours as insane. They want a four page evaluation after a month?? At the last place I was at if you'd been there three months or less when evaluation time rolled around, you did a very mini version of the evaluation--about one page--basically just screening for major problems.

Do you have to write goals for the coming year? That part used to make me break out in hives, too.
    Married to a hematopathologist seven years out of training.
    Raising three girls, 11, 9, and 2.

“That was the thing about the world: it wasn't that things were harder than you thought they were going to be, it was that they were hard in ways that you didn't expect.”
    Lev Grossman, The Magician King

Comment

Originally posted by Julie
      Do you have to write goals for the coming year? That part used to make me break out in hives, too.
      Hated that. Blech. I had one boss who actually gave helpful feedback and advice. She was a diamond in the rough.

I agree that 4 pages for being there a month is overkill. Sorry.

Comment

You know, I too have always hated filling those things out. However, after my experience with an employer where my boss was (how shall I put it) leadership skills challenged, I was glad for those annoying evals. Long story short, with glowing evals, boss had no way of making me his scapegoat. So, now I see them in a whole new way. Just my 2cents.
        Finally - we are finished with training! Hello real world!!

Comment

Thanks for confirming the crazyness. No, no goal's yet. What's more insane about this whole thing is that the company consists of 5 people. Madness. I was at a huge organization before but we didn't have to do this stuff until one year out and it was shorter. granted we had to do goals, and credo crap, but I was shocked by the sheer extent of this one, esspecially being a start up.
          Wife to Hand Surgeon just out of training, mom to two lovely kittys and little boy, O, born in Sept 08.

Comment

Agreed. Those forms are a waste of time, I work in a really small company too. I am due for my annual review this week, and was looking at my feedback from last year and realised nothing has changed!! Nothing that we said we were going to do to change things has been done! So I definitely want to avoid going through it all again this week.

Comment

The only time I ever comply with those is when it's in writing that it has to be done. Essentially I say, "hey, do you really want me to take the inordinate amount of time it will take to do this, or shall we think about this in a different way. How about I tell you the areas in which I'd like to improve and you share the areas about which you have concerns or would like to see me develop. 90% of the time they'll agree.

the fact that you have a company of FIVE people? That's pure laziness on your bosses part. In fact, in my paranoid head, I'd wonder if it was a test to see if you ever question things that you find nuts. (like testing you by testing you kind of thing)

Jenn

Comment

Working...
              X