Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Unemployment Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Unemployment Question

Hoping someone who has moved states and/or is familiar with labor law can answer my question. I've read through both NY and PA Unemployment websites and can't find what I'm looking for. Since I have to quit my job due to the move, I was wondering if I can apply for unemployment while I look for a new one. Which state do I apply with and do I meet the requirements? And if I quit a week or two before I move, as of what date can I file and what will I need to show to prove when I moved.

I don't think you can collect in any state if you are resigning (if you can, let me know!).
    -Deb
    Wife to EP, just trying to keep up with my FOUR busy kids!

Comment

Nope- you wouldn't be eligible since you're choosing to be unemployed.

(even because your spouse is moving)

Jenn

Comment

Can I ask my boss to fire me? That sucks. What a stupid rule.

Can DH file if there's a 3 week gap between his jobs?

Comment

My understanding has been that you are eligible if you are laid off and that is it.

Comment

Well if you think of it this way- every Jow Blow in the world would quit thier job and collect unemployment if they could. hell, I could have used 12 weeks paid timeoff when we moved!

and a little unmentioned aspect of unemployment is that it's taxable income...so, they don't take the taxes out while you're collecting it but you have to pay the piper at tax time.

Jenn

Comment

Originally posted by DCJenn
              and a little unmentioned aspect of unemployment is that it's taxable income...so, they don't take the taxes out while you're collecting it but you have to pay the piper at tax time.
              Oregon gave me the *option* of having taxes withheld, at least, though it's not the default. I did have them withhold from mine.

Whee, this year's taxes are going to be fun. Moving (2 different state's worth of income tax!), selling stock and options, severence pay from previous job, unemplyment for ~8 weeks, starting a new job, DH's scholarship, renting out our house here... I've always done my own taxes, but I think this year will be beyond me, or at least not worth the hassle.
              Sandy
              Wife of EM Attending, Web Programmer, mom to one older lady scaredy-cat and one sweet-but-dumb younger boy kitty

Comment

Re: Unemployment Question

Originally posted by Vishenka69
                Hoping someone who has moved states and/or is familiar with labor law can answer my question. I've read through both NY and PA Unemployment websites and can't find what I'm looking for. Since I have to quit my job due to the move, I was wondering if I can apply for unemployment while I look for a new one. Which state do I apply with and do I meet the requirements? And if I quit a week or two before I move, as of what date can I file and what will I need to show to prove when I moved.
                What a coincidence- I used to work for the Commonwealth of Pa, Dept. of Labor and Industry, which administers the PA UC Law. You can apply for UC in Pa. Pa will contact NY to check if you have sufficient wages to be eligible for UC.

Generally speaking you are ineligible for UC if you voluntarily quit your job. However, PA UC law recognizes times where you must voluntarily quit due to "necessitous and compelling" reasons. I don't remember if one of those "necessitous and compelling" reasons includes quiting because of a spousal job transfer. There is a lot of Pa case law addressing this very issue and it's been over a year since I worked so my memory is fuzzy. But, I suggest you apply and see if you qualify. It doesn't hurt to apply.

UC income is definetly taxable.
                Wife of Ophthalmologist and Mom to my daughter and two boys.

Comment

Originally posted by Vishenka69

Can DH file if there's a 3 week gap between his jobs?
                  Residents are not eligible for UC.
                  Wife of Ophthalmologist and Mom to my daughter and two boys.

Comment

Originally posted by poky
                    Moving (2 different state's worth of income tax!),
                    A) I'm not sure I had realized you decided to move too! I really hope it goes well for you guys, did you find a good renter yet?
                    B) I hate to be the one to break it to you, but Ohio has CITY TAXES. I know, it's totally weird. You have to pay for the city where you live as well as the city where you work, so if you live in Cleveland Heights and work 3 miles down the street in Cleveland you have to pay both -- and they don't usually withhold for your city of residence so it's quarterly payments.

One thing I'm glad to have left behind!
                    Alison

Comment

Originally posted by spotty_dog
                      Moving (2 different state's worth of income tax!),
                      A) I'm not sure I had realized you decided to move too! I really hope it goes well for you guys, did you find a good renter yet?
                      B) I hate to be the one to break it to you, but Ohio has CITY TAXES. I know, it's totally weird. You have to pay for the city where you live as well as the city where you work, so if you live in Cleveland Heights and work 3 miles down the street in Cleveland you have to pay both -- and they don't usually withhold for your city of residence so it's quarterly payments.

One thing I'm glad to have left behind!
                      BLECK!

Well, I'll be working from home, so that's not an issue, but I guess if we live in a different "city" from the clinic, we'll maybe have to deal with that for DH's scholarship? Like I said, I'm thinking it's going to be beyond me this year.
                      Sandy
                      Wife of EM Attending, Web Programmer, mom to one older lady scaredy-cat and one sweet-but-dumb younger boy kitty

Comment

Originally posted by spotty_dog
                        Duh, forgot this part.

Yeah, I had a bit of a crisis, and we decided I'd move, too.

Haven't found a renter yet, we're going to let the property management company handle that. We think we've found a decent company, though; have to meet with them sometime next week.

We've booked tickets for memorial day week to look around Cleveland and hopefully find a place to rent there, and get that all settled. Thankfully.
                        Sandy

Comment

Well, I'll be working from home, so that's not an issue, but I guess if we live in a different "city" from the clinic, we'll maybe have to deal with that for DH's scholarship? Like I said, I'm thinking it's going to be beyond me this year.
                          If his scholarship is taxable income, then Cleveland, Ohio, and Federal taxes would apply. If you lived, say, in Cleveland Heights, then you'd also pay CH taxes on his and your income. We had five tax forms our first year in Ohio, and five when we moved to Arizona (well, four, we broke even with Cleveland so we didn't file).

But, yeah, I'm sure your tax preparer will have a handle on all that. I'm just still scarred, and I'm not even the one who did the work! (DH insists on doing our taxes, but oooh there was a lot of cursing!)
                          Alison

Comment

Working...
                          X