Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

When to tell them I'm not coming back?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• When to tell them I'm not coming back?

So, we've made the decision that I am quitting once this baby comes in November. Actually, I want to quit at the beginning of October so that I have a month with just DD before the baby comes. DH claims he'll be on an "easier" month then too so we are hoping to get in a lot of family time that month.

But, I'm struggling with when to tell my boss. I have a great job and a fantastic boss. I actually feel guilty for leaving because she has been so understanding about letting me leave for my million doctor appointments both when I was really sick with my rash in Feb. and now since I am high risk. It really is a great gig - our hours are totally flexible so we basically set our own schedules. Some days I come in at 7:30, some days at 9:30 and no one ever questions where I've been, etc. And I leave every day at 4:15 unless I have a patient here - which has happened one time.

Since it such a great gig for a "single" working mom I want to be honest and not burn any bridges in case I need to get a job again later down the road. I feel like I need to give them plenty of notice so that I can get someone trained on my studies. But I also have my 1 year review around Labor day and I don't want to tell them too early and not get a good review (which I don't think would happen) or get a raise (which I'd only get for four weeks anyway).

We do have a few PRN people in our group and I might ask if I can go to PRN status so that I can earn some extra cash by helping out with a study that has visits on the weekends or something....but that doesn't help with my struggle on the "when to tell".

Any thoughts or suggestions?
    Cranky Wife to a Peds EM in private practice. Mom to 5 girls - 1 in Heaven and 4 running around in princess shoes.

Re: When to tell them I'm not coming back?

Originally posted by samssugarmomma

Any thoughts or suggestions?
    Tell your boss in enough time to allow a replacement to be interviewed and hired--at least 4-6 weeks ahead, I would think, but others might have different thoughts on how long that process would take.

Were you going to be paid through your maternity leave? If so, that could be tricky...technically, you should not feel guilty about taking paid maternity leave even if you aren't coming back. It's part of your employment package. On the other hand, that could seem to your employer that you're "taking advantage" (I personally don't see it that way, but some might...). Ick. Hard situation.

Comment

I think its always hard to say goodbye to a job you love (I won't be having this problem after I take my paid maternity leave ), but I digress.

So if you wait until after your review you'll be giving them a month's notice? I think that is is more then enough. If your boss really is as great as she sounds she'll understand and I'm sure they'd be happy to have you PRN. Plus you're being more then generous with a month's notice.

And since the baby won't actually be here yet maybe you can still come in once a week to continue training if necessary, or when it works for you.

I think one month is plenty, I beleive there is such a thing as to much notice in 99% of jobs.
      Wife to NSG out of training, mom to 2, 10 & 8, and a beagle with wings.

Comment

Do you know how long it took them to hire you? Maybe use that and count backwards from the day you want to leave.

Since it sounds like such a good situation, it might pay off down the road if you can help train your replacement.

ETA: I agree with Cheri that too long of a period when they know you can be leaving is hard but 4-6 weeks in this situation sounds like it would be ok. Also, would you be willing to come back 1-2 days/week during October to train your replacement? That might be a way to cut back on your hours, still bring in some money, and get to your maternity leave point (so you can collect).

Comment

I agree with 4-6 weeks notice and with offering to come in and train if need be in October. I would be careful not to give too much notice. Do you think your boss might be aware that you're thinking about staying home after the baby? You might be giving off that impression or through conversations with coworkers.

Comment

Every job I've had, the 'professional' level staff had to give 30 days notice. Most of the time, the person has left their phone number or new work number in case the newbie has questions- and the company pays for 'consulting'.

I think 6 weeks is more than generous and actually may get awkward. Once they know you're leaving, people tend to focus on the future and it's no fun to sit there and listen to people plan for stuff when you're not going to be there.

Jenn

Comment

Thanks gals! I think I'll go with the 4 weeks notice. I think some of my struggle comes from the fact that we have one open position right now and we are interviewing a few really great candidates. I feel bad helping to pick just one when I know I'll be creating another opening in a few months.

I won't have a paid maternity leave or anything so that doesn't factor in to the equation. We have to use up all of our personal and vacation time for medical leaves and they pay out all of those days when you quit as well. I seem to use up my "sick" days as soon as I get them so any days that they pay out will be bonus.

I'd offer to come in to help train the newbie in October - but one of the major reasons that I'm quitting is because I can't find good childcare. I'd have to keep using where we are now and while I'm positive that DD isn't being mistreated - we aren't in love with the place either. And the cost/benefit ratio of having to still pay the center vs. what I'd make coming in for just a few hours to train someone would not be in our favor.

Thanks for the suggestions!

Kate
              Cranky Wife to a Peds EM in private practice. Mom to 5 girls - 1 in Heaven and 4 running around in princess shoes.

Comment

If there are a couple of really good candidates, maybe one of them could take your job. Your boss will already be familiar with them from interviewing so maybe it will make it easier to fill your position. Don't feel bad!

Comment

Good luck! I like the idea of 4 weeks and offering to stay on per diem. It is always nice to have your foot in a door.
                  Luanne
                  wife, mother, nurse practitioner

"You have not converted a man because you have silenced him." (John, Viscount Morely, On Compromise, 1874)

Comment

Working...
                  X