Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

interview attire

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• interview attire

Do I HAVE to wear a blazer/jacket for an interview or job fair? Or can I wear a nice button up blouse, some nice slacks and close toed shoes?

If I have to wear a blazer I better start shopping!

Re: interview attire

What kind of job is it for?

I tend to lean towards the "look as professional as possible without looking stuffy."

I think it depends on the type of job however. I also think that the younger you are, the more important this is. First impressions are paramount in an interview.

I have a friend who is brilliant and looks like a Baywatch lifeguard. She's not a classic beauty...she's sexy. Nobody took her seriously. Picture Cindy Crawford with a PhD in Economics from Yale. She eventually went to interviews in a grey pant suit with a french twist (her hair was amazing) up do and fake glasses. She wore minimal make up. Her age and physical appearance for her field counted against her. (this was ten years ago FYI).

When she was hired (by a woman) and they got to know eachother, the boss confided in her that "thank goodness she wasn't platinum blonde." I kid you not.

Just my two cents.
    Flynn

Wife to post training CT surgeon; mother of three kids ages 17, 15, and 11.

“It is our choices, Harry, that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities.” —Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets " Albus Dumbledore

Comment

I agree it depends on the type of job and the employer. When I worked in silicon valley the norm at 90% of office was business casual, khakis and polos. Our office was pretty casual but we also had times when we presented to clients so we were expected to wear suits. My boss automatically dinged anyone that came to interview in business casual because as he put it, how do I know they own a suit?

I was always taught you want to dress one step above what you'd be expected to wear at work.

Wife to NSG out of training, mom to 2, 10 & 8, and a beagle with wings.

Comment

Even though I wear birks and jeans most of the time, I interviewed in a suit. Now, it's San Antonio and I interviewed in July so it was a linen suit and I didn't wear pantyhose (but I did wear closed toed shoes w/ a kitten heel)

The only time I didn't wear a suit was when I was interviewed over the phone in VA for a job in TX. They didn't know I was wearing jeans and a sweatshirt!

Jenn

Comment

J.Crew is having a suit sale. I'd go with a black suit because you can always wear them as separates.

Comment

I work as a consultant in the pharma / healthcare industry and it's definitely more buttoned-down.

Check Ann Taylor too. Sometimes it's expensive but you can occasionally find genius stuff in their sale section. And I agree with the go with black comment as well.

I would add, if you cannot do a blazer, go very formal with everything else. Black pants, white button down, and a scarf or something to look feminine and put together. And understated but very classic jewelry if you have it. It's possible to get away with it but definitely take it up as many notches as you can with your accessories.
            Married to a Urology Attending! (that is an understated exclamation point)
            Mama to C (Jan 2012), D (Nov 2013), and R (April 2016). Consulting and homeschooling are my day jobs.

Comment

If you don't have a blazer check out the consignment shops. It is amazing what you can find.
              Luanne
              wife, mother, nurse practitioner

"You have not converted a man because you have silenced him." (John, Viscount Morely, On Compromise, 1874)

Comment

Originally posted by Flynn
                What kind of job is it for?
                Something in event planning... maybe for corporate meetings, but I'm currently exploring various directions I can go in the field.

When she was hired (by a woman) and they got to know eachother, the boss confided in her that "thank goodness she wasn't platinum blonde." I kid you not.

Just my two cents.
                I did think about that... I'm no 'Baywatch babe', but I am close to platinum, or have attempted to be platinum. Consequently I am banned from putting more dye in my hair. Something about hair falling out... or something. aranoid:

Do blonds get stereotyped more? Probably. Well, the way I think about it, is that SOMEONE SOMEWHERE out there will want me as an employee.

Thanks for the advice everyone! I think a blazer will be a good piece to have, so I will start looking.

Comment

Working...
                X