Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Another temping dilemma

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another temping dilemma

I'm currently sort of (because there's no official end date) finishing up my second temping assignment. I like this company a lot better than the previous one and wouldn't mind staying here. However, the company isn't doing all that great financially and there really isn't enough for me to on a full time basis (I'm currently surfing the web and twirling my thumbs for good part of each day) and I'm not sure they'd pay what I want.

I just told my boss that I'd like to end the assignment in two weeks as I have a friend from overseas who's coming to visit for two weeks. He practically begged me to consider some sort of a part time arrangment during that period. I know this is partly because there's a Board of Directors meeting in the middle of that timeframe and he'll need help preparing for it. The BOD materials are due on the 13th and he told my temp agency that he'd like to re-evaluate my position (go perm or end) on the 15th. I most likely could do a couple of mornings, while my friend is here on the days that DH doesn't start until later or is off for the day. But I don't want to put in the time that's inconvinient for me while not getting paid much for it and then be dropped like a pile of hot bricks after the 13th.

Should/can I tell him that I'll only do it if he's ready to offer me something? Is it even worth it if the company isn't doing well and they don't even need another analyst? I'm pretty sure that he'll be perfectly fine without me and I'll only make about $300 post taxes for those few days.

Re: Another temping dilemma

I say let it go and enjoy the heck out of your time w/your friend!!

that's my concise :02:

Comment

I agree, if they're not willing to make you permanent and pay you more there is no reason to spoil your friend's visit by working.
      Wife to NSG out of training, mom to 2, 10 & 8, and a beagle with wings.

Comment

I agree with Cheri and Suz

Comment

Have fun with your friend - way more worth it.

Comment

I told him that my friend is coming a week earlier than she really is, so I'll offer to work a couple of mornings before her arrival and then stop when she gets here.

Thanks for input.

Comment

Just need to vent. I can't believe I even considered staying here while my friend is visiting and helping them out. I guess my boss got so pissy that I said I can't go beyond next week, that he called the temp agency and bitched about me. Apparently I'm late every day (I only bill for the time I'm actually here and on the days I didn't have anything to do, I came in at 9:30 instead of 9). This wasn't a daily occurance and my timesheet reflected that. So the recruiter called me at 9:10am this morning and said why am I not there yet. WTF?

Then he said that I don't double check my work. This morning he returned one of the table I did last night with lots of red circling. Half of it I pulled the correct data that just didn't seem right to him for some reason (but not my problem) and the other half is him chaning his mind from what he told me to do yesterday. Like today he decided to rename some categories and change the font of the title. Yeah, I was suppose to guess those things myself.

I hate corporate world. Please remind me next time I start considering another temping (or god forbid full time) job.

Comment

Working...
              X