Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

PhD people...i have some questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PhD people...i have some questions

My new job requires a PhD within 6 years. Granted I probably wont work there that long, but if I want to stay in academics, I need to get going.

I have some questions:
    Did you know exactly what you wanted to do? The research interests of the professors of the program of study I am interested havent really grabbed me.

What happens if we have to move in the middle of the program? If we move before I finish the classroom part, will that transfer?

Did you have an idea about your research before your started?

How long does it really take?

Did you have trouble getting funding or did your dept provide it?
    Mom to three wild women.

Re: PhD people...i have some questions

How exciting! The PhD is a grueling process. I'm in my 6th year of it right now, and intend on finishing this academic year (2009).
    What field is this?

1) Did you know exactly what you wanted to do? The research interests of the professors of the program of study I am interested havent really grabbed me.

I know my field is very different from yours, but when you do a dissertation, you have to be in love with your topic. You might not know exactly what you want to do research in 3-4 years down the road from now (which is totally fine!) and you might only find that interest once you've worked with people. I wouldn't worry too much about what the profs do. The idea is to do you OWN, unique research. They can still help you.

2. What happens if we have to move in the middle of the program?

It is easiest to move once you are done with your comprehensive exams (once you have fulfilled the class requirements). You can always go back to the city where the program is for the defense. You don't have to be present on campus after the classroom part.

3. If we move before I finish the classroom part, will that transfer?

Most classes will transfer, but most likely, not all classes will be recognized by your new program no matter how similar the course listings are! It sucks, I know...

4. Did you have an idea about your research before your started?

Yes

5. How long does it really take?

I think for many, it'll take longer than you expect. Gwendolyn did hers in record time. It can really vary!

I know a lot of people lose steam after the comp exams, keep their ABD (All But Dissertation) status, and hope to do the dissertation later... It's easy to get discouraged, bored, or have other stuff come up in your life. The most famous ABDer I can think of is David Duchovny. If you listen to him in interviews, he does talk about his dissertation topic quite often.

6. Did you have trouble getting funding or did your dept provide it?[/quote]

You should actually ONLY study in a department that gives you funding (teaching/research opportunities and tuition waiver). Funding means the department actually WANTS you there, and that's important.
    married to an anesthesia attending

Comment

I have been looking at the Doctoroate program in Pittsburgh, and at Duke (DNP). I do NOT want to do a dissertation, and both are doable from out of town. Does it have to be a PhD, or is a DNP acceptable? Good luck.
      Luanne
      wife, mother, nurse practitioner

"You have not converted a man because you have silenced him." (John, Viscount Morely, On Compromise, 1874)

Comment

I debated it long and strong at my last job, but I am just not on the DNP bandwagon. I have grave concerns about a wave of doctor nurses, practicing as NPs or nursing admins with titles that just confuse people- I wonder if it is really even necessary or are we doing it just to keep up with the joneses who are PharmDs, OT/ST/PT doctorates, all of which are greatly abbreviated in length compared to any other doctoral degree. I was offered a tuition free spot in the pilot class at my last job (all faculty were). Those that did the program, graduated, and... did the same job for a tiny bit more money and all of whom would hit the academic glass ceiling without the PhD.

Generally speaking, the DNP is not the standard for climbing the academic ladder, it is a terminal practice degree. The PhD has the focus on preparation for a research career that you will need to bring in the bucks aka grant money.

I am open for debate on the subject though, I guess I just want to see the great things DNPs are doing for the profession before I can become a believer.
        Mom to three wild women.

Comment

I would think if you want to be competitive when applying for grants you will want the PhD rather than the DNP

I agree with this 100%. I have no intention of doing the DNP unless I absolutely have to. If it ever becomes a requirement I would do the easiest program I could find, because I think it would be useless for someone like me. On the other hand, in Academia I think you have to do the PhD. Good luck.
          Luanne
          wife, mother, nurse practitioner

"You have not converted a man because you have silenced him." (John, Viscount Morely, On Compromise, 1874)

Comment

Originally posted by Cumberland
            My new job requires a PhD within 6 years. Granted I probably wont work there that long, but if I want to stay in academics, I need to get going.

I have some questions:
            Did you know exactly what you wanted to do? The research interests of the professors of the program of study I am interested havent really grabbed me.
            I guess I'm a bit of an aberration given that I not only am foreign but also originally started my PhD in one country and then promptly decided to move in the middle of the PhD and re-applied to a university in a different country, taking my research with me. but I'll try to answer the questions anyway. If nothing else, at least I'm able to provide a multinational perspective.

Anyway, when I started my PhD in Sweden, I didn't know exactly what I wanted to do. My supervisor had a project that she had received funding for but for which the PhD student had dropped out. I expressed my interest for it and she interviewed me and a bunch of other prospective students and I got the position. When I subsequently moved to the UK, I knew exactly what I wanted to do. I brought the research to the department and said "These are my credentials, this is what I propose to do, do you have anyone who would be willing to supervise me?". As it turned out they did.

In general, the research interests of the dept/potential supervisors will be more important than your interests, as they need to want to supervise you for you to have a chance. If you can get them enthusiastic about something you want to do, they might allow you to run with it, however.

What happens if we have to move in the middle of the program? If we move before I finish the classroom part, will that transfer?
            Your question about the possibilities to move your research seems mainly US-specific, so I don't have much input. It is my experience, however, that most things can be transferred. When you're at the post-grad level, things are often done on an ad-hoc basis as there aren't that many PhD-students. Given that PhD-education systems in Sweden and the UK differ quite a bit, I have had to redevelop my style of research presentation a bit (combination theses are very rare here), but if I need courses to be transferred, I doubt it would be much of a problem.

Did you have an idea about your research before your started?
            When I started my PhD in Sweden, I wasn't extremely knowledgeable about my area of research, however you develop that knowledge quickly because you'll be expected to. When I transferred to the UK, I was obviously very familiar with the research area. More so than my supervisors, I've noticed.

How long does it really take?
            The amount of time it takes to finish a PhD depends entirely on where you do it. In Sweden, it rarely takes less than 6 years and often quite a bit more given all the time you spend teaching (usually at least 20 % of your time) and taking courses (50% of your degree is supposed to come from course work). Here in the UK it's supposed to take 3 years but then you have no mandatory teaching responsibilities and you don't formally have to take any PhD-courses. The U.S. system appears to be quite similar to the Swedish system as far as I've been able to tell.

Did you have trouble getting funding or did your dept provide it?
            Generally it seems the university/school/department provides the funding both in Sweden and the UK however that is not to say that it is not difficult to get funded. For instance I was the only successful applicant for research funding within my school this year and I hear there were very many applicants. Here in the UK, I'd say it is MUCH easier to get accepted to med school than it is to get a funded PhD-studentship. The amounts of hoops you need to jump through are manifold and if you emerge on the other side you're going to be one of a select few. First you need to write and submit a research proposal and if it's among the best ones they receive, you get an interview with senior members of the faculty. If you're successful there too, your research proposal is passed on to a research committee which handles the scholarships. If you're successful there too, you will be offered a position.

Funding is strongly dependent on external grants and the financial status of the university/faculty and when times are tough there is very little funding available. It wouldn't surprise me if it's a little easier to get funding in the U.S. than it is in Europe, however, as U.S. universities tend to receive more funds on average than their European counterparts.

Comment

Working...
            X