Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Diane Rehm - "Womenomics"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Flynn View Post
    I've had so many conflicting emotions about these issues. Even when I'm not conflicted I question WHY I'm not conflicted (to be a SAHM was basically my choice and I've never seriously looked back). Am I not as motivated as the next woman to achieve outside our family? What's wrong with me?
    There is NOTHING AT ALL wrong with you. The idea that you can be a successful woman--or person, for that matter--only if you work outside the home, or work at a specific type of job, or maximize your specific degree or whatever, is socially imposed. Honestly, I wouldn't worry too much about what society says you should be doing. Other people can't live your life for you--and not all judgments are worthy, anyway. Just because someone is being judgmental doesn't meant that their judgment is worth your time!

I WOTH and, about twice a week, I consider quitting. Not because I don't love my job, but because the older I get, the more I see the precious time with my young children slipping away. And I would absolutely love to homeschool. Seriously. I go to the area's homeschooling support website quite a bit and dream.

Of course, then I wake up and realize that it would be WAY MORE WORK than I do outside the home, and think, "Uh, maybe not." How's that for a lack of ambition???

Comment

Originally posted by Flynn View Post
      I have nothing constructive to add but this topic fascinates me.

I've had so many conflicting emotions about these issues. Even when I'm not conflicted I question WHY I'm not conflicted (to be a SAHM was basically my choice and I've never seriously looked back). Am I not as motivated as the next woman to achieve outside our family? What's wrong with me?

Anyway, sorry for the hijack -- carry on. I'm just reading with interest.
      This describes me so well. I'm perfectly happy being a SAHM, I left the (very male-dominated) corporate world when DS#1 was born and I haven't regretted it once. Not once. But when I read/hear about these types of conflicts that women have, I do sometimes wonder why *I* don't.

I realize that this adds absolutely nothing to this thread. Continue to talk amongst yourselves...
      ~Jane

-Wife of urology attending.
      -SAHM to three great kiddos (2 boys, 1 girl!)

Comment

Actually I think everyone's experiences are really interesting. I thought being a SAHM was the best and worst job I'd ever had. I couldn't hang. I had him in daycare here before I'd even found a job. (although in my defense, it's kind of hard to look for jobs and go on interviews with a two year old in tow)

Our week off was great fun but he was definitely ready to head to summer fun camp this morning! and I was ready to take him.

Jenn

Comment

Yeah, it's a struggle either way. I mean, when I married DrK we discussed how his training would impact my career. Ultimately, I wanted to taper off a bit and spend more time with our babies anyway. . . but not until his career was stable. Seems that having become a trailing spouse, I've been "mommy tracked" regardless of what my intentions are. I was going to call my boss today to complain about the lack of interesting assignments coming my way. They aren't doing me any favors at this juncture.
          Wife and #1 Fan of Attending Adult & Geriatric Psychiatrist.

Comment

Working...
          X