Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Apple Announcement: iPad

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Apple Announcement: iPad

Apple announced today: the iPad! Tablet-PC (as rumored), it is pretty neat, sort of the love-child between the iPod and a laptop. I haven't heard the price yet, but a girl can dream. :P
    Wife to PGY4 & Mother of 3.

I think whoever came up with that name must have been male. iPad? Really?
    Julia - legislative process lover and general government nerd, married to a PICU & Medical Ethics attending, raising a toddler son and expecting a baby daughter Oct '16.

Comment

Originally posted by oceanchild View Post
      I think whoever came up with that name must have been male. iPad? Really?

I love my apple laptop and DH loves his iTouch so I'm sure it would be great to have one - but yes, I'm guessing they're pretty spendy.
      Wife to NSG out of training, mom to 2, 10 & 8, and a beagle with wings.

Comment

I want one. Badly. But I have no idea what I would use it for.

I guarantee future FIL will have one within 2 weeks of release, though. He is the ultimate Apple fanboy.
        Married to a newly minted Pediatric Rad, momma to a sweet girl and a bunch of (mostly) cute boy monsters.

Comment

I've been reading this about the iPad announcement: http://bits.blogs.nytimes.com/2010/0...-announcement/

It looks bigger than a Kindle. How are you going to lug that around? A MS2 friend of ours is freaking out about it (he stood in line for an iPhone on the first day it was available). I had to bring him down to earth about it. Rumor is it will retail for somewhere between $600-$1000. And it doesn't fit in your white coat pocket. Still uses AT&T, no mention of it being available on Verizon. They say you can watch TV and movies on it. Would you want to hold it the whole time? And that you can do work on it, but will people want to do work without a keyboard? Just thinking out loud here...

It looks interesting, it has only one button (no keyboard). The screen looks awesome. Something to keep an eye on, as far as technology goes. Still doesn't beat a real book or newspaper for me.

Julia, ITA about the name! It sounded like some kind of upgraded feminine product. Perhaps it gets rid of cramps! And plays soothing music when you want to strangle everyone!
          Event coordinator, wife and therapist to a peds attending

Comment

So really, what would you use it for then?

It's obviously not a full laptop replacement, and it's too big to be used as an phone...plus that's another hefty $30 price to pay for AT&T service. (maybe it will be less?) And who wants a $700 Kindle?

I kind of think this one may go the way of AppleTV until they figure out a way to really make it stand out.
            Married to a newly minted Pediatric Rad, momma to a sweet girl and a bunch of (mostly) cute boy monsters.

Comment

Originally posted by oceanchild View Post
              i think whoever came up with that name must have been male. Ipad? Really?
              lol! Ita!!

Comment

Okay - It is on the apple.com now, prices are between $499 - $829. Options include:

- Wi-Fi + 3G (I'm assuming through AT&T, but not sure) or Wi-Fi only

- 16Gb, 32Gb, or 64Gb.

Honestly, I thought it was going to be much more expensive! I like that there is a Wi-Fi only option, and honestly, I'd probably use it at home when I browse the internet/IMSN...or in coffee shops. I think it would be handy for me... As for using it as an E-book, which I think there is an app -- doesn't the Kindle utilize technology that is easier on your eyes than a computer screen? I doubt that this iPad is good for the eyes while reading that amount.

Comment

It's a terrible name. Might as well name it iPon or something equally gross.
                  married to an anesthesia attending

Comment

Originally posted by alison View Post
                    It's a terrible name. Might as well name it iPon or something equally gross.

iPon is probably going to be an accessory. the stylus.
                    Last edited by radwife; 01-27-2010, 02:55 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Crystal View Post
                      - 16Gb, 32Gb, or 64Gb.
                      Light flow, regular, and heavy flow models?

Comment

Originally posted by Selu View Post
                        Light flow, regular, and heavy flow models?
                        So awesome! There really couldn't have been any women involved in the naming - I mean, really?!

Comment

I'm not fond of "iPad" either. Sounds like "iPod" in Boston. I had read that they had copyrighted the names iSlate and iTablet, too. Wish they'd gone with one of those.

I'm not impressed -and I'm a big Apple fan. I think the hype was just too great to make this a good announcement. It isn't revolutionary. I'm not sure it will sell so well because I don't think the Kindle and the Netbooks have really been "game changers". iPhone, yes. iPod, yes. This, not sure. I'd imagine the gaming would be excellent if they let you download apps with iPhone OS. It will beat out the PSP and the Nintendo DSi for grown up kids.....
                          Angie
                          Gyn-Onc fellowship survivor - 10 years out of the training years; reluctant suburbanite
                          Mom to DS (18) and DD (15) (and many many pets)

"Where are we going - and what am I doing in this handbasket?"

Comment

After reading about it I guess I don't see the point.
                            Wife to NSG out of training, mom to 2, 10 & 8, and a beagle with wings.

Comment

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lsjU0...layer_embedded

Excuse the crudeness.

Comment

Working...
                              X