Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Resentment Building

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Resentment Building

I have been in my current position for about one year now. I originally got this job through a friend, who was promoted, thus leaving the position available. Because we are friends, I also know that she received a raise within 4-5 months being on the job and within the year got a promotion.

I guess I feel a little resentful towards my employer because the company has been growing significantly and management has been traveling and tending to outside business, so when there were issues with my client and work environment, I felt neglected. I also know that my client absolutely loves me and does not want me to leave this position and my employer is aware. I know that I have been doing a good job and deserve this raise. Especially since many people around the building have told me that I do a good job, I'm always busy and running around while "that girl" that was in the position previous to me never did any work. *hmph*

So how do I approach this with my employer? I probably shouldn't mention that I know the previous girl in my position received a raise almost immediately, and I know that I've done just as good, if not better job than she? I probably also shouldn't mention that I have felt a little neglected and have had little guidance along the way?

Any tips?

A year is a totally reasonable amount of time to ask for a review meeting. Say you want some feedback about your performance. Be ready to listen to what your boss has to say. If it's positive, ask when it might be reasonable to expect a salary boost.

Asking for a raise is tricky, but asking for feedback and guidance isn't. Make that your starting point.

(Note: I am much braver on the internet than I am in real life. Haha. I'd probably never straight up ask for a raise, unless I'd been told to expect one and not seen it. But even I would ask for performance feedback if I hadn't gotten any in a year.)
    Julia - legislative process lover and general government nerd, married to a PICU & Medical Ethics attending, raising a toddler son and expecting a baby daughter Oct '16.

Comment

Maybe they think they can get away with forgoing raises in the current economy?

Comment

Originally posted by oceanchild View Post
        A year is a totally reasonable amount of time to ask for a review meeting. Say you want some feedback about your performance. Be ready to listen to what your boss has to say. If it's positive, ask when it might be reasonable to expect a salary boost.

Asking for a raise is tricky, but asking for feedback and guidance isn't. Make that your starting point.
        Yes this and yes to what diggitydot says. They might not be able to offer raises at this time. I would ask for a meeting to evaluate your performance, ask how you can improve, and talk about your 3 year goals within the company. Take notes. At the end of the meeting ask for a 6 month follow-up. At the follow-up meeting is when I would ask for the raise if one has not yet been offered. Stop resenting or comparing yourself to the other girl. It's your job now to make of it what you will and has nothing to do with her.
        Tara
        Married 20 years to MD/PhD in year 3 of MFM fellowship. SAHM to five wonderful children (#6 due in August), a sweet GSD named Bella, a black lab named Toby, and 1 guinea pig.

Comment

That sounds like the best approach. The company may not be doing as well financially now, so there might be a freeze on raises. At least you'll let them know that you're looking for ways to improve your performance, and any manager should know that if they're *asked* for a review, the employee is probably interested in knowing why they haven't received a raise or promotion they're expecting.
          Laurie
          My team: DH (anesthesiologist), DS (9), DD (8)

Comment

Ditto LadyM

Makes me appreciate working for a company that has a strictly defined review and compensation process. Uncertainty sucks.
            Married to a newly minted Pediatric Rad, momma to a sweet girl and a bunch of (mostly) cute boy monsters.

Comment

Thanks everyone!

I actually think they're doing quite well- the company is rapidly expanding despite the economy. They just expanded to several new states. I did have a meeting recently, and I asked for a review and if there is anything that I can improve on. I was told the client loves me, does not want me to leave, they will do anything to make me happy, and that the only thing I can improve on is to stop trying to do it all, that I take on too much and try to help too much. *forehead slap* Maybe that was my missed opportunity to ask for a raise. Gah. I need to grow a pair.

Comment

If you're still in touch with the person who had the job before you who got a raise earlier, ask them if they had to ask for it, and how they did it. I'd definitely submit something in writing that references your glowing reviews and your one-year anniversary at the job, and asks when it would be reasonable to expect a discussion of an increase in pay.
                Sandy
                Wife of EM Attending, Web Programmer, mom to one older lady scaredy-cat and one sweet-but-dumb younger boy kitty

Comment

Go get 'em tiger...
                  In my dreams I run with the Kenyans.

Comment

Thank you thank you. Great perspectives and advice.

Comment

Working...
                    X