Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Sounding board

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sounding board

I'm finally realizing that SAHM gig is not for me. DD loves her day care and so do I. I'm having the hardest time kicking my butt off the couch though. I've always wanted to switch careers but it's a somewhat expensive and time consuming endeavor. I already spent $1300 on GRE that I tanked and won't be using, so I feel guilty taking further stabs in the dark. Many of our friends have been convincing me to take a crack at interior design and I even found a two semester program at a local community college but it costs $6000, which seems a bit steep. I've looked for online courses but this is a hands-on field that doesn't translate well online.

I know a number of you take various classes online and at local colleges. How do you justify the expense? DH doesn't have a problem with it, I'm the cheap one.

I am justifying the expense of going back to school because I know my ex simply won't be able to hold a job long and eventually I need to provide them with health insurance.

In your shoes, I think you could justify it by saying that it is time to indulge your needs after a long ass haul of indulging his. You certainly deserve it.
    Kris

Comment

Well...I just started slowly paying off my degree $10 at a time, so I don't know how much my opinion counts. But, I think that if it's something that you think you'll love then you should go for it no matter what the cost. You only live once and it is a blessing to be able to have the opportunity to learn about it! I also think that learning and experience is one thing that is worth a splurge. You won't ever sell it at a garage sale or give it to goodwill! You'll always have the knowledge and experience even if you choose not to use it! I say go for it! cause knowledge is power!!!
      -Mommy, FM wife, Disney Planner and Hoosier

Comment

I've struggled with this too, in spite of DH reassuring me that he is FINE with spending the money. For me, I've noticed that I'm a much better person when I've got something going on outside the home. I love to learn new things, it gives DH and I more stuff to talk about, I get out of the house and meet new people. I think it is definitely worthwhile for you to do - especially if you learn about interior design. Think about how much you can use that at home. It would pay for itself if that was something you would hire out anyway.

Funny that you mention this, as I was just thinking about you yesterday and wondering if you were still thinking about the PhD in Russian literature. (I think that was it...)

Comment

Kris, you can have health insurance. Just requires one teeny tiny relocation. I will personally call an exterminator out to your new sunny FL residence.

---
          - Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
          Heidi, PA-S1 - wife to an orthopaedic surgeon, mom to Ryan, 17, and Alexia, 11.

Comment

Depending on what type of interior design you are looking at, I've heard it is a tough field to break into right now. I have a friend that went through a 5 year Interior Design undergrad program and she and her classmates are having a hard time finding jobs. You might have more luck going at it on your own, though--I think she was looking for a firm. Then you get the joy of being a small business owner, though :/ PITA
            Married to a newly minted Pediatric Rad, momma to a sweet girl and a bunch of (mostly) cute boy monsters.

Comment

Kris, I'd love to still do the Ph.D but the program I was eyeing closed and the next nearest is 2hr each way into NYC. Since I would need to take classes full time for 2 years, that kind of commute isn't doable right now.

The problem is that I'm not sure I would love it. I like decorating our house but I have no idea if I'm any good working for/with others. That's why I'm having a hard time justifying the expense.

Comment

I think it's sounds really steep too, Julie. I think sometimes programs like these gouge people by selling the idea that this will make you marketable.

You have great style. Help some friends with their homes. Offer your services for free, read everything you can get your hands on. For decorating I don't think you need an official, expensive education. Design...absolutely. If you're going to knock out walls then there is a lot to learn. But that doesn't have to be your starting point either. See if your business takes off and if you're invested enough to take your education to the next level.

There is a decorator that I've heard about in Glen Falls who's niche is Target, Marshall's and TJ Maxx type places. She will come with you, shop with you and help you pull it all together in a cohesive way for an out-of-this-world savings. I heard that she decorated a plastic surgeon's new 4000 square foot condo in Saratoga Springs for $15,000 and I mean they didn't have a scrap of furniture to begin with. 4000 square feet! It looks like a spread out of a magazine and it was all bargin, everyday shopping. The best thing is that you can use her frequently and change things up because you're not so deeply invested in the decor that you can't imagine changing it. I'm totally going to hunt her down and hire her when we finally build. You're a consumate bargin shopper with fabulous taste and you have all the social connections to give you a leg up.
                Last edited by Ladybug; 08-08-2011, 02:59 PM.
                -Ladybug

Comment

I'm looking into Interior Decorating more than actual design. I know someone who does design and that requires a lot more than 2 semesters.

Comment

What about home "staging"?
                    Luanne
                    wife, mother, nurse practitioner

"You have not converted a man because you have silenced him." (John, Viscount Morely, On Compromise, 1874)

Comment

re: decorating vs design: My mistake!

The staging idea sounds really cool...I know photographers who have made a nice niche and $$ photographing homes on the market. I don't see why staging wouldn't be a great idea too!
                      Married to a newly minted Pediatric Rad, momma to a sweet girl and a bunch of (mostly) cute boy monsters.

Comment

One of the moms from our dance studio does staging. She has a lot of fun with it!
                        Veronica
                        Mother of two ballerinas and one wild boy

Comment

Julie, what about personal shopping? They have people that list on eBay even. You could even list home decorating, jump in before you see if you need a degree, which I think would be too much for this current school.
                          Heidi, PA-S1 - wife to an orthopaedic surgeon, mom to Ryan, 17, and Alexia, 11.

Comment

Wow, 4000 sq ft for $15K! I don't know if I can do that. I'm not completely done with our 3500 ft house and I already spent around $25K (although that includes a couple of heirloom quality pieces).

My biggest problem is that I have no idea where to start or how. I'm not very good at "selling myself". I was hoping a course would cover some of that.

Comment

There are free online courses for small business owners /startup companies. I can't remember the website, but it is a" .gov" I think.
                              (for business plans, etc).
                              Luanne
                              wife, mother, nurse practitioner

"You have not converted a man because you have silenced him." (John, Viscount Morely, On Compromise, 1874)

Comment

Working...
                              X