Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

omgomg huge interview on Tuesday. Don't know what to do!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• omgomg huge interview on Tuesday. Don't know what to do!

I'm in a pickle.

One of my close friends landed an amazing gig 2 years ago that pays her twice as much as I currently make. She is leaving this position and recommended me for it and I have an interview on Tuesday.

The problem is.... I know that I am moving out of state at the end of next June. She says that we have to tell her ex-employers, and if I don't, then she will. She doesn't want to burn any bridges because she may need them for future contacts and connections. I, of course, was a little offended at her blunt approach and felt almost threatened, that she would jeapordize my chances at this huge career move for her possible future connections, but I understand where she is coming from. If I did get this job, I would work my butt off, do the best that I could, and of course, give them fair warning that I would be leaving so they could find my replacement. In terms of training, this is an admin position, so I don't think there's too much training involved, really- so I don't think the company would be losing money in training my replacement.

I don't know what to do. I desperately want this job because it will be life changing. I can pay off all my debts. I won't be living paycheck to paycheck. I can help my family. I can pay for a wedding. I can invest some. And, it will be a boost to my resume and career.

Will an employer even consider me if I say I have a big move in 10 months? Would it be absolutely crazy (and would my fiance kill me) if I suggest commuting for 2 months so that I can commit a full year? And at what point should you tell future employers of big life changes? Less than a year out? Am I obligated to tell them? Would it be unethical not to?

I don't know what to do! I really want this job, but I'm worried that if I tell them of my big move, I will no longer be a candidate and I'll be stuck at my measly job just barely making it.

My DH finishes his residency in 2 years. I've been telling potential employers that I don't know our plans after residency and tha it will depend on our career opportunities at that time. If we have good jobs, we may stay. Would that work for you?
    Wife and #1 Fan of Attending Adult & Geriatric Psychiatrist.

Comment

Are you planning on moving because that's when your getting married?
      Loving wife of neurosurgeon

Comment

Originally posted by MarissaNicole View Post
        Are you planning on moving because that's when your getting married?
        This was going to be my question. Are you getting married in June or is he just done with residency in June? If you're not getting married right then I would tell them that you may be moving in a year or so. Usually I wouldn't tell them at all but since she said she will I think you have to tell them something. I think you just have to figure out how to spin it.
        Wife to NSG out of training, mom to 2, 10 & 8, and a beagle with wings.

Comment

I'm sorry. I kind of agree with her, though. If I recommend someone for a position, that reflects on me and my own integrity. She must think they would still consider you to be a good candidate in spite of the move if she's going to recommend you anyway. And if training a new person is not going to be a big expense or hassle, there's a good chance they'd rather have you - a highly recommended candidate - than someone they just get from a mass of resumes.

Most employers will also appreciate the honesty. When I was interviewing while pregnant with DS, I made it clear that I would not be interested in returning after he was born, but they liked my skill set and hired me anyway. They've called back a couple of times in the year and a half since he was born just to check whether I'm interested in returning, and they were also considering making it a part-time, work-from-home position. You just never know...

Good luck, and I really hope you get it!
          Laurie
          My team: DH (anesthesiologist), DS (9), DD (8)

Comment

Hmm, that is a pickle but ladymoreta's words of her experience are encouraging. Go for it of course and be as honest as you can. I like what MrsK said as a reason because in all honesty a lot can change in a year and I always want to keep my options open because you never know what can happen. Sending you my best wishes for your upcoming interview!

PGY4 Nephrology Fellow

Out beyond ideas of wrongdoing and rightdoing there is a field. I'll meet you there.

~ Rumi

Comment

Thanks for the feedback everyone!

No, we are moving out of state late June '12 bc that's when SO starts his fellowship. We are getting married in May. If not for his job we'd probably stay put.

I guess I'll be honest and hope for the best :-/

Comment

Be honest with them and plan on likely not getting the job. As an employer it just seems like to much investment for very little return. If this job is as life changing as you think it may be then explain your situation and let them know how long you can commit to them. You can do the long distance thing with your SO. I know that would suck but maybe it would be worth it?
                Tara
                Married 20 years to MD/PhD in year 3 of MFM fellowship. SAHM to five wonderful children (#6 due in August), a sweet GSD named Bella, a black lab named Toby, and 1 guinea pig.

Comment

I was just hired for a new job and I told my interviewer (now my boss) during the interview that even though we'd like to stay here there was a good chance I would be moving next summer. But I was easily the most qualified candidate and she was willing to take the risk. It will just depend on the employer and the other applicants you're up against, but it's not always a death sentence to tell them. Hopefully being strongly recommended by your friend will put you over the top. Good luck!
                  Wife of a surgical fellow; Mom to a busy toddler girl and 5 furballs (2 cats, 3 dogs)

Comment

I interviewed for a job right before Match Day and we found out we were moving. I knew it was a strong probability and I debated whether to tell them. Ultimately, I decided to be upfront and they offered me the job anyway. I ultimately turned the job down when I found out we were moving. They did, however, make it clear that they were really appreciated the honesty and that my being honest, possibly to my detriment, really impressed them and was a big part of why they made me an offer...

That being said, many companies are not going to want to hire someone who will leave soon, but I think that generally the honesty is appreciated and respected.

Just something to consider...

Comment

I think what makes it hard is that you are FOR SURE moving (if I understand the situation correctly). It's a little easier when there is a chance you could stay. Would you consider being apart from SO if you loved the job? Because if that is the case then I think you could phrase it as there is a possibility that you'll be moving in 10 months.
                      Loving wife of neurosurgeon

Comment

Just got offered a part-time position where I was up front with my interviewer that we would be leaving for my DH's residency in about 3 years. She said it didn't bother her at all because I was qualified and said I can guarantee them a good 3 years and they were happy about that. Hopefully this job will be similar for you!!
                        High school sweetheart and wife to an MS4 cutie, and mom to pretty baby J, silly Siamese kitty, crazy Weim, and funny ferret.

Comment

If it were me I wouldn't walk in the door screaming I'm otta here come next June. I would be honest with them but push hard for it! Its something that will improve your life, then go for it. I see no use in waiting another year for life to improve. Is there any way in the world you would consider living away from your spouse for a couple months next year? That way you can tell them you can commit to one year of employment. IDK, it just sounds better than 10 months, I think.
                          Wife to PGY5. Mommy to baby girl born 11/2009. Cat mommy since 2002
                          "“If you don't know where you are going any road can take you there”"

Comment

You could promise them a damn good employee for 10 months, and this gives them additional time to find the right person!!!! Good for both of you.
                            Luanne
                            wife, mother, nurse practitioner

"You have not converted a man because you have silenced him." (John, Viscount Morely, On Compromise, 1874)

Comment

Thanks everyone!! I went in for 2 interviews, interviewed with 5 people including the bigguns. Was essentially told that I have the job and then I told them I'm getting married and there's a possibility of moving but I can commit one year. They said they'll think about it and let me know on Fri. And they appreciated my honesty. So really, it can swing either way. Now I just wait and see. Eek! Well, what is meant to be will be. I tried my best.

Comment

Working...
                              X