Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

It's Happened

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• It's Happened

I'm a fully converted SAHM. I'm at the monthly Bar luncheon, sitting next to a young lawyer dressed in head-to-toe Burberry. I'm wearing pants from Express because snot washes out of them easily and my hair is in a pony tail. I keep getting distracted by a pop up on my phone reminding me to get groceried for my ILs visit and I've spent the whole morning housecleaning and interviewing babysitters. When asked where I work, I introduced myself as a mom and watched all my tablemate's eyes glaze over. Oh, and a I was approached about a title attorney job and I don't even want to apply. Whoa.
    Wife and #1 Fan of Attending Adult & Geriatric Psychiatrist.

Whoa indeed! Any firm plans for how long your stay at home gig will last? I'm working 12 hours a week, but for the most part my real career is on the shelf until we moved back to Texas. Anyone else have a PT job totally out of their 'real' career and love it?? I feel so grateful I've found this little sales rep job.
    Wife to PGY5. Mommy to baby girl born 11/2009. Cat mommy since 2002
    "“If you don't know where you are going any road can take you there”"

Comment

Welcome to the club.
      Tara
      Married 20 years to MD/PhD in year 3 of MFM fellowship. SAHM to five wonderful children (#6 due in August), a sweet GSD named Bella, a black lab named Toby, and 1 guinea pig.

Comment

*smile*
        It's been my favorite job! I know it's not for everyone, but I love SAH!
        Laurie
        My team: DH (anesthesiologist), DS (9), DD (8)

Comment

I love it! Though the medical holiday parties aren't as fun. People aren't as interested in a homeschooling mom of three as they are in the assistant to a prominent PR maven who works at one of the largest independent advertising/pr firms in the nation.

But you get to go to the park on a beautiful day and they are stuck working in an office.
          Veronica
          Mother of two ballerinas and one wild boy

Comment

Moonlight, I think this may be it. Unless something spectacular comes along (or something dreadful happens), I'm probably staying home until residency is over. It's a little disorienting when I bump into my former self like I did today. But I look at hjer and remember how hard I worked and how insecure I felt when I was that girl. I envied people who could wear jeans to work and ran errands mid-day. I guess it was okay for me at the time but my life is so different now.

Comment

So, a couple weeks ago the head of real estate at the state's largest law firm sent me a job posting and suggested I apply. It was a job with the public defender's office prosecuting traffic tickets. Seriously? This is a job that first year lawyers turn down.
              I was insulted but I took the high road. I responded, "Thanks for thinking of me. But I've decided to stay home with my children for now and I'm having a blast. See you when I return from Florida."

She's got two kids and every time I see her she tells me how she is a California girl who was unfortunately born in KS; someday she hopes to move someplace near the ocean. I really have been loving the SAHM gig and I when I wrote the note, I was thinking that I'm so relieved that I don't have her job. Who cares if she thinks I'm only suitable for traffic court.

But, I went to a CLE seminar today. The courts were closed and the CLE reporting period is ending soon so it was packed. I saw a lot of lawyers that I met with last year, several that interviewed with. Although the seminar made me feel even more relieved to not be practicing, I couldn't help feeling self-conscious telling them that I'm "just a mom" now; as if they were looking at me with pity. Stupid, right? I don't know why I let that nonsense get to me. Grr.

i i

Comment

People will always be judgmental about something. When my DD was in private school I was chastised by the moms for being "the only mom who works." Working outside the home or not, being a mom is the most rewarding job on the planet, and the toughest!
                Married to a peds surgeon attending

Comment

I came to the surprising realization long ago that I actually enjoy being an at-home parent over working outside the home. By a long shot. It's not even close. And I never anticipated that paradigm shift.

Comment

Mrs.K: F**k'em. Really. Esp. the woman who sent you that crappy job listing.

Comment

GMW, right? I read her e-mail and thought "Biach!" And I think she was being genuine.

Comment

When I went to the big vet conference in Jan, I experienced similar emotions and reactions. But overall, the majority of people seemed to agree with my decision to be with my kids. And the ones who seemed bitchy about it were obviously jealous. Vet isn't the same as big law...but there is still that inner drive that is a part of anyone who does post graduate work.
                        Mom of 3, Veterinarian

Comment

Originally posted by Michele View Post
                          but there is still that inner drive that is a part of anyone who does post graduate work.
                          Amen to that!
                          Married to a peds surgeon attending

Comment

Very true Michele, very true.

I have to agree, being home with the kids was fantastic, but for now, I am really loving my WAH gig. With C in school and S at daycare, I get some adult interaction (via the phone), yet I still have the flexibility to deal with the inevitable sick days.

It is wonderful when you finally come to peace with where you are at. Amazing that it took me nearly 40 years to figure it out.
                            Kris

Comment

I have two post graduate degrees and no desire to ever work outside the home. I've definitely gotten the "You just stay at home with your kids?" F what everyone else thinks, you know what works best for your particular family.

Comment

Working...
                              X