Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Change pay rate?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Change pay rate?

In looking for a job, I've been offered two shifts as a relief vet. I took them and guesstimated a pay rate based on a number from one friend. Now I've had a chance to talk to another relief vet in the area and my rate is low. The relief vet I spoke with said this guy uses relief a lot, it's too far for her so she turns him down often. She thinks he would give me up to 25% more but that she's always charged him about 10% more than I gave as a rate. What do I do?

Would you call and ask for more for the two dates scheduled?

Would you just bump your rate for next time?

How would you word it?

Obviously I want more money. And the shifts at less pay are better than no shifts. But I also don't want to undercut the local market either. If this relief vet I spoke with is accurate, then there are few if any relief vets that serve this area. So if that's the case I might be able to get away with more. I've never done relief though so I don't know much about the details. It sounds just like moonlighting though.
    Mom of 3, Veterinarian

I'd get my foot in the door before raising your rate. If you try to raise your rate for the dates scheduled, you mak look like you are trying to go back on your agreement with him.
    Wife and #1 Fan of Attending Adult & Geriatric Psychiatrist.

Comment

I agree. Since you quoted this rate, stick with it for the dates you arranged for. You can change your rate next time.
      Peggy

Aloha from paradise! And the other side of training!

Comment

I would work the two shifts, and then justify the increase in rate.
        -Deb
        Wife to EP, just trying to keep up with my FOUR busy kids!

Comment

Originally posted by Deebs View Post
          I would work the two shifts, and then justify the increase in rate.

ITA - especially since you have not done this type of work before...you can use that reason for the rate increase - "you now know what the work entails." Also, if this is contract work, as in you need to pay your own FICA etc, I would add that to your hourly rate. My accountant just advised me of this because I was only calculating what I am worth based on an annual salary with benefits. With contract work you get no benefits and have to pay FICA, etc.
          Finally - we are finished with training! Hello real world!!

Comment

ok thanks. That's what I was thinking too....work the shifts but then increase my rate for any subsequent work. If the person I spoke with regarding relief is right, there will be nothing about this job that will justify an increase. She said she just sat around most of the time, no appointments when she did relief for him. I don't want to take advantage, but I also don't want to be taken advantage of. Maybe I'll find a true part time gig and this will be moot.
            Mom of 3, Veterinarian

Comment

The work is pretty lax. I had a steady morning and a dead afternoon. And a 2-3 h lunch. But, I have to read and run all my own tests. Even fecals, which is kinda crazy. I'm going to up my price for subsequent shifts bc I don't want to be the lowest in town, but I'm not exactly sure how to word it. If his techs are correct, he will probably ask again in the next few months.
              Mom of 3, Veterinarian

Comment

Working...
              X