Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

quick question re business profiles (linkedin)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• quick question re business profiles (linkedin)

I'm on linkedin but don't know what I'm doing with the site. Should I be doing something special there? What really needs to be on my profile, if anything? Should I seek to have tons of connections? If so, why?

I'm a part time worker making a slow career change. Next year I'm planning to start grad school (for a graduate certificate, then the masters degree). Next fall I want to start applying more aggressively in my field of interest. Right now I'm doing what I can given DH's schedule and wanting to be at home with my two year old as much as possible. Help, I'm clueless. We didn't have the internets when I was going to free advice seminars in college about our future careers.
    Wife to PGY5. Mommy to baby girl born 11/2009. Cat mommy since 2002
    "“If you don't know where you are going any road can take you there”"

I think of it as an online resume, so I put pretty much everything on there. However, it seemed awkward having such a big "break", so I did add SAHM, which I wouldn't put on a real resume. I add anyone I know to my contacts. I get requests from recruiters sometimes, but I generally don't add them unless they send an introduction message. It just seems spammy otherwise.
    Laurie
    My team: DH (anesthesiologist), DS (9), DD (8)

Comment

I had to drop my Linked In profile. The FL Bar is really strict about lawyers' ads and there were rumblings that the Bar wanted to preapprove Linked In and FB pages like they do with other lawyer ads. (Seriously, if you want your business card printed in the program for a high school musical you have to get their blessing.) I'm pretty sure most of my collegues use it but I didn't want to hassle with the Bar.
      Wife and #1 Fan of Attending Adult & Geriatric Psychiatrist.

Comment

As someone that's done a little hiring/hr I would definitely encourage you to build up your linkedin profile. Employers will look for it when considering you, and if you don't have one, or if it is minimal, you may not be considered as seriously as someone with the same qualifications who does have an info-rich profile. Treat it just like a resume, and put a nice professional-looking picture up. Add people as connections if you know them -- I wouldn't add any randoms, unless maybe you have mutual connections.
        Wife of PGY-4 (of 6), cat herder, and mom to a sassy-pants four-nager.

Comment

Working...
        X