Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Craft Shows

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Craft Shows

So, the deadline to apply to exhibit at The Big Craft Show is May 31. The show is in November. I'm just starting to get the etsy ball rolling and I'm wondering if it's worth it to exhibit at the show.

Booth space costs $125 min. I'd also have to hire a sitter for the kids if DrK is not available to watch them. Or, I may have to hire our sitter to help me at the show. She charges $10/hr - so, $120 for the day including set up and break down? I'd probably have to be set up to take credit cards. And I'd have to stock up on inventory for the show so I'd have to advance a lot of time and money.

This is supposed to be the super-awesome show, I have to build inventory for etsy anyway, and I could distribute cards referring folks to my etsy store at the show.

Is it worth it?

Any tips from folks who have BTDT?
    Wife and #1 Fan of Attending Adult & Geriatric Psychiatrist.

Honestly? From a BTDT perspective, I would probably try to find local boutiques to sell your wares before doing the craft show circuit. It is expensive and a huge financial risk when you are just launching. Are there any small shows that you could get into, some only charge 25 bucks a table.

Don't forget, you are going to need to probably build walls or the like to display your boards. Or, lots of heavy duty table top easels. Either way, this will likely eat up any profit you make the first go round.
    Kris

Comment

If you do decide to do it, there are phone apps for credit cards...not sure how much they cost, but probably cheaper than a machine!

Comment

Glad to see this thread. I have been waffling over whether I should try to do a craft show as well...glad to get some perspective.

Comment

HoW, I was thinking along those lines too.

Also, I have also been selling a smaller version of the boards - about 1/4th the size as the originals - that can be hung on a wall or used flat on a table. Much easier to transport and display for a craft show.

I'm hitting a dead end with the boutiques so far because their cut would drive the cost of the big boards to more than $100. Lots of them have recommended I exhibit at The Big Craft Show to keep my price point.

Comment

Here's another wrinkle. A friend just asked me if I'd go in on a booth with her so we could split the cost and watch eachother's stuff. She makes/sells greeting cards and would love to hit a before Christmas show but her stuff isn't large enough to fill a whole booth.

As for displaying my stuff, I'm thinking that the small ones can be stacked on a table top. The large ones can be stood up in milk crates with foam bumpers.

Thoughts?

Comment

There are so many small craft shows around the Christmas season-- is there any way to get into a smaller show as you are just starting out??
              Peggy

Aloha from paradise! And the other side of training!

Comment

Sharing a booth with someone may be more beneficial. You would have a built-in person if you needed to run to the restroom or get some food/drink. I don't know a lot about craft shows, but my friend has done with them her glass beads/jewelry. She also has a etsy store and a website. It takes her several hours to set up. Most often you have to bring your own tables and displays. She has spent money on lights, tables, table skirts, a rug to spice up the booth, specific items and shelfing to display her merchandise. The craft shows I have attended with her, people hang their artwork so you can see it better and some people make elaborate displays (almost like a store or room). Those are some things to think about. She has gotten most of her stuff from Hobby Lobby and Target. Dismantling her booth takes about an hour with two people. Craft shows usually have volunteers who can watch your booth if you need to and help you take your display stuff to your car. It is very time consuming to get ready for a show (at least for my friend) and then to pull it off. She made a good deal of money at the last show she attended. Craft shows right before the holidays draw big crowds.
                Needs

Comment

Working...
                X