Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Tastefully Simple/Home Sales

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tastefully Simple/Home Sales

I've been thinking of becoming a Tastefully Simple homesales rep. I recall that Shakti did Tastefully Simple. Does anyone else have experience with this or any other home sales company?
    Wife and #1 Fan of Attending Adult & Geriatric Psychiatrist.

I did Tupperware briefly in college, but it was mainly a way for me to buy it at a discount. I just did my 3 required partied and quit. It's a fun way to meet people, as long as the guests want to be there. I never understood the people who came to the parties who obviously resented being there. I love love love home sales parties - books, makeup, kitchen stuff, decor, I'm in! Haha!
    Laurie
    My team: DH (anesthesiologist), DS (9), DD (8)

Comment

Originally posted by ladymoreta View Post
      . . . I never understood the people who came to the parties who obviously resented being there. . . .
      There are times I've resented being at home sales parties because I didn't know I was going to a sales party. Basically, invited to a party and then ambushed with a sales pitch. That's not cool. If I did it, I'd want to be sure that my "party guests" new that it was a shopping opportunity and not a purely social event.

Comment

I have been to a lot, 31 gifts/bags seems to be the rage right now. I haven't been to a Tastefully Simple party in years but remembering their stuff being good.
        Wife to NSG out of training, mom to 2, 10 & 8, and a beagle with wings.

Comment

I had thought about 31 also because of the organizing angle which you all know I love. However, I'm not crazy about their products. Also, I like the idea of selling something consumable that will not clutter people's homes and can lead to repeat business. Of course, who knows if I have time. I haven't had time for Coursera or to go to the programs for our local residents' spouses group or even to use the gift certificates for cooking classes that I won at the hair salon months ago.

Comment

I buy from that company about 2-3 times per year. I really like everything I've bought from them! I also buy Scentsy but it doesn't seem like you can make much money. The highest paying company I've seen is Mary Kay. You keep 50% of everything you sell. I also really like everything I've bought from them. There's also a very new one from Lindt! You might have a chance to be the first in your area if you sign up with them. I almost signed up with them to sell because there is no one in this area selling it and we do not have a Lindt store at our mall.
            Wife to PGY5. Mommy to baby girl born 11/2009. Cat mommy since 2002
            "“If you don't know where you are going any road can take you there”"

Comment

I am in the minority, I know, but I hate home parties. To me, it feels like someone with whom I am on friendly terms now wants to hang out with me (and 2 dozen other acquaintances) so that she can peddle over-priced stuff that I would buy a lot cheaper elsewhere. I have enough disingenuous professional "friendships" that are based on mutual reciprocity of favors. I don't like feeling like my relationship with my friends involves sales.

I think it all started when my idiot BIL sold "Cutco" knives one summer when he was in college. My MIL was completely pissed at me because I wouldn't buy a knife from him (they were something like $50 a piece--I was making $20K a year as a teacher!). My MIL absolutely INSISTED that I listen to BIL's pitch. I told BIL: I don't want or need a knife. I just want your mom off my case. What's the cheapest knife you have? I'll buy that. He REFUSED to sell me anything unless I listened to his whole.damn.pitch. Which last a HOUR. And, at the end, I found out that the cheapest knife I couldn't afford. My MIL got even with me, though. My BIL was so utterly unsuccessful that she had to buy a ton of knives from him. She gave me a Cutco knife as my "big" (and totally needed) Christmas gift every year for the next decade.

Comment

I also really don't care for those parties. I'm a reluctant shopper anyway and have no spare time/income so I always politely decline attending. I don't like that it's a social occasion with a sales pitch. I usually buy the cheapest thing out of obligation and move on.

That being said, a lot of people do like them so don't deter bc of my grumpy opinion.
                Married to a Urology Attending! (that is an understated exclamation point)
                Mama to C (Jan 2012), D (Nov 2013), and R (April 2016). Consulting and homeschooling are my day jobs.

Comment

I'm also not a fan at all, but I do have several friends who are reps for various companies. Three of them are super crazy into it, and spend a lot of time on it. They also do realllllly well for themselves. A friend from HS used to do Tastefully Simple, but she just couldn't find enough time to do it...she worked full-time and her husband was in med school. She just didn't feel like she could devote enough time to it. She also doesn't really have a sales personality, so I'm not sure it was worth her while.
                  I'm just trying to make it out alive!

Comment

Count me among those who don't like them
                    Jen
                    Wife of a PGY-4 orthopod, momma to 2 DDs, caretaker of a retired race-dog, Hawkeye!

Comment

I'm not a huge fan either. I'm one of those people who goes to the parties reluctantly and doesn't want to be there. LOL. Often, MrsK, you are invited to attend the parties by friends who will get a hostess gift for your attendance and get certain levels of free stuff for the dollars that you spend. I do turn parties down, but some friends ... well, it's not so easy. When I go then it is for them because they are afraid no one will show up, etc ... and then I feel obligated to buy something just to help them with their numbers.

For the most part, although many of these home parties have cool things, I end up with buyer's remorse. I went to a jewelry party for a good friend of mine here several years ago. I was pegged the "doctor's wife" and somehow ended up buying two expensive necklaces. I later found very similar ones at Kohls for more than 50% less than I had paid for them at the party. I have regretted that purchase so much! LOL That was actually my last home party.

If you tell a friend that you don't have the cash to spend, btw, they'll tell you to come anyway just for the fun. Then if you do ... you kind of get swept up in it and guilted into buying something.

Now I just tell people that I wish I could come but that the date won't work for me. I've said it so many times over the last 3 years that I don't get asked anymore. Phew!

Kris
                      ~Mom of 5, married to an ID doc
                      ~A Rolling Stone Gathers No Moss

Comment

I don't mind occasionally buying shit from these kinds of businesses, but I dislike the parties. If I want to socialize with friends, I'll go socialize with friends. If I want to buy shit, I'll go buy shit. Shopping for crap is not a social outlet for me. I'd rather just go online and purchase whatever I want instead of pretending to ooh and aah in person over crap I won't buy.

I had a crazy insane experience with home sales crap a loooooong time ago. My HS boyfriend's older brother began selling crap. Kirby vacuums, I think. It was a long time ago. Anyway, he wanted to practice his spiel on me. Go for it dude. I'm not buying anything, but by all means, practice away. Wrong answer. He apparently thought my playing along was real and got pissed when I wouldn't by a $2000 vacuum. He had his BOSS call me and try to close the "sale". Um, no dice, weirdo.

Comment

My cousin has been a Tastefully Simple Consultant for years. I guess it's been good to her. I've been to several of her Tastefully Simple "sample parties" and it seems really easy to do. Plus she believes in their products. I've also been to several of her family and holiday parties and she even uses their products then too and makes it seem so dang easy. I've bought the beer bread before and used sparkling water and also a few of the spices to make dipping sauces. It really is so easy to mix and make and prep a party with.
                          PGY4 Nephrology Fellow

Out beyond ideas of wrongdoing and rightdoing there is a field. I'll meet you there.

~ Rumi

Comment

I thought wildtree was the rage in home food parties now. I like TS, but wildtree is also really good.
                            -Deb
                            Wife to EP, just trying to keep up with my FOUR busy kids!

Comment

I've never heard of wildtree. Here we have 31 and Stella and Dot. I haven't had anything Tastyfully Simple in a while. I love their beer bread and Spinach dip.
                              Needs

Comment

Working...
                              X