Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

second dog

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• second dog

I'm thinking about getting a second dog and need advice. Winston is 8 months old, and I'm thinking it would be nice to have a second dog, and he will have a "friend". I feel he is lonely when we go to work. Am I nuts?". He is a miniature dachsund. I'm planning to get the next one from the shelter or a rescue group. Please give me advice. Also, Winston sleeps in our bed (my kids didn't even do that) and he is spoiled rotten. My husband would like for him to sleep elsewhere. If I had a second dog would it be easier to get Winston out of the bed or would I just have two dogs on the bed?"
    Luanne
    Luanne
    wife, mother, nurse practitioner

"You have not converted a man because you have silenced him." (John, Viscount Morely, On Compromise, 1874)

You aren't crazy! We adopted a second dog in August for the same reasons! We thought that Buddy was lonely and would like a brother or sister to play with while we out.

I think what happens with the second dog will depend on their personality. Ours have different but complimentary personalities. Molly Bear wants to be right next to us and petted while we are awake and up and wants to sleep by herself (on the couch) at night while Buddy is totally independent during the day and sleeps on the foot of the bed for a portion of every night.

We spoil ours rotten too. But, they are so cute when the wrestle and they cuddle up together when the weather is bad.
    Cranky Wife to a Peds EM in private practice. Mom to 5 girls - 1 in Heaven and 4 running around in princess shoes.

Comment

I think you might have a hard time getting Winston to move off the bed if you get another one...also I would look and watch his behavior around other dogs...Doxies can be snippy sometimes....I have also wondered if Tui gets lonely during the day...but when it comes down to it...I think she is lonely for us...not just any companionship...she's not the best sport when it comes to other dogs....so even though Russ and I both want another pup...Tui doesn't and she's the boss on this one.

If you think Winston would really like a playmate, then I say go for it...two dogs definitely aren't much more work than one.
      Mom of 3, Veterinarian

Comment

He loves other dogs. I take him to a dog park several times a week. It is a private park, very clean and the owner is very strict. She keeps records of their shots etc. "Rockkytopdogpark.com". We have been taking him since he was two months old. He gets very excited and has special "friends" at the park. I have to figure out how to tell Jory we are getting a second dog!!!
        Luanne
        Luanne

"You have not converted a man because you have silenced him." (John, Viscount Morely, On Compromise, 1874)

Comment

I think it sounds like a pretty good idea. I've often had the same thought since Simon is a little more neglected now that we have the kids, but I can't bear the thought of another critter to take care of! Good luck--getting a new dog is so exciting!!!
          Awake is the new sleep!

Comment

I think it's a good idea too. Dogs are very social and do like playmates. Keep in mind that the first dog is always dominant and his personality will influence how the second dog acts.

If you're looking to get a larger dog, I've heard this is the best way-- to get a puppy as a second dog to a small dog. This way, the small dog will not feel threatened when the puppy grows up.

Comment

Luanne, your dog park looks so nice! Your little guy must love it there. What kind of second dog are you thinking of getting?

Comment

Winston is 8 1/2 months old, he is a mini-dachsund. He loves people and other dogs, he thinks they were all created to play with him!!!

I have been looking at Dachsund rescue websites, and other small dog rescue sites. I don't really care about what breed I get, as long as it is small and a rescue. I applied yesterday to adopt a female dachsund mix (don't know what the mix is, but she is 2 years old. Any advice??? Michele???
                Luanne
                Luanne

Comment

I have to figure out how to tell Jory we are getting a second dog!!!
                  hehehe...that part is easy. Just have Santa put the dog in his Christmas stocking on Dec. 25th.....How can he say no to Santa???

kris
                  ~Mom of 5, married to an ID doc
                  ~A Rolling Stone Gathers No Moss

Comment

Kris,
                    My thoughts exactly.
                    Luanne
                    Luanne

Comment

She sounds good. I don't know many people who have adopted from a rescue....it's kinda weird that I don't....but anyway....I do know one couple who adopted a poodle mix....and she's a doll. They love her so much and she's a great little dog...Russ and I dog sit occasionally for them. So my one experience with breed rescues is a positive one...and if your husband loves Winston, he'll love one more!
                      Mom of 3, Veterinarian

Comment

Both our our dogs were rescued as older dogs (1.5 years and 4 years old)and I don't think I could do it anyother way now! It took about 2 months and a lot of love for them to adjust to our home but it is well worth it.

Good luck with the new dog! I love the idea of putting it in a stocking from Santa! How cute!
                        Cranky Wife to a Peds EM in private practice. Mom to 5 girls - 1 in Heaven and 4 running around in princess shoes.

Comment

Working...
                        X