Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Yahoo Ends Work From Home Program

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by diggitydot View Post
    Someone on the Today show yesterday said exactly what you posted.
    Oh. I guess that thought it old news. So much for my original brilliance. haha!

Comment

Originally posted by Sheherezade View Post
      I They made the same speculation about Meyer's original hire with her pregnancy - that it could just be a controversial issue that puts Yahoo on the front page and in water cooler conversations and they need that.
      I was never impressed with how that story got pitched. The line was: "And she took only TWO WEEKS maternity leave." As if that was something to cheer.

As if that is impressive. How much maternity leave did I get with my last two pregnancies? None. I spent three hours before DD#2's delivery at the hospital, on the phone, dialed into a court hearing.

Second, what kind of high-ranking executive can't control her own schedule enough to negotiate maternity leave? Isn't it your job to be able to advantageously position yourself?

Third, what kind of mother thinks that it is even remotely appropriate--if you can avoid it--to rush back to work while you are still having postpartum discharge? Especially with your first. Nice--you have the choice, and you pick shareholders' perceived best interests over bonding with your infant. As if that was the noble and admirable thing. It is an insult to all of us who wished our experience could have been different.

Fourth, what a hollow "sacrifice"--she is worth a ba-zillion dollars and can hire round the clock care. Her blazing return to work hardly required any real sacrifice--other than, perhaps her attention as a mom.

She's just f**king over the rest of us. She had the opportunity to be a balanced, driven working woman who could demonstrate juggling and master multi-tasking. Instead, she basically said: be a guy.

Comment

Well said GMW. Very well said.
        Wife to PGY5. Mommy to baby girl born 11/2009. Cat mommy since 2002
        "“If you don't know where you are going any road can take you there”"

Comment

She's just f**king over the rest of us. She had the opportunity to be a balanced, driven working woman who could demonstrate juggling and master multi-tasking. Instead, she basically said: be a guy.
          Yep.

As far as the work from home thing...I get plenty done when I don't have a toddler around. However, my boss still lets me work from home even if the toddler is at home. I could take PTO, but some days that really isn't an option with the way it has been lately!

Also, there are some very critical people in our team/dept that have worked from other states for years. They were given the option because they are that awesome. Serious shit would fly if a Yahoo policy were instituted. Maybe Yahoo is just that different, but I find it highly unlikely that the CEO knows what is going on at that level in depts.

I think it was a "This is what we did at Google, so to fix Yahoo, we must become Google" move.
          Married to a newly minted Pediatric Rad, momma to a sweet girl and a bunch of (mostly) cute boy monsters.

Comment

Just to add another layer to the controversy, I saw an article this morning that said she made her decision after looking at data from Yahoo's "VPNs" (the company's network) and saw that remote workers weren't logging in as frequently as she wanted. I don't necessarily think this justifies her decision, but assuming it's true, I do see where she is coming from.

http://www.businessinsider.com/how-m...ing-off-2013-3

Comment

Originally posted by OrionGrad View Post
              Just to add another layer to the controversy, I saw an article this morning that said she made her decision after looking at data from Yahoo's "VPNs" (the company's network) and saw that remote workers weren't logging in as frequently as she wanted.
              That's another thing that these talking heads are forgetting to talk about. Yahoo is a total freaking train-wreck. It's not like she's modifying a system that is working. She was brought in to salvage a stinker. She needs to do layoffs. She needs to bring up the performance standards. She needs to make hard decisions and difficult calls before everyone is out of a job--whether working from home or the office. And she needs to do all of this while maintaining the company's value.

Fortunately for her, she can do this in the comfort of knowing that she had a custom nursery installed in her office and has round-the-clock help at home to make things easier for her while she makes those hard decisions and difficult calls.

Comment

Working...
              X