Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

job market sucks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• job market sucks

I can't help, but feel depressed on the current job market situation. I currently work in Retail FT.., but cant seem to get out of it. Had an interview at an amazing publishing co in NYC and was turned down. I have applied to various tech start ups in the city and NOTHIN'. I have a future husband to support, a wedding to plan (..if that..) and student loans to chip away.. It all makes me depressed..

It's tough out there. I think less than 50% of college grads are able to find FT employment.
    Last edited by Pollyanna; 07-07-2013, 05:26 AM.
    Tara
    Married 20 years to MD/PhD in year 3 of MFM fellowship. SAHM to five wonderful children (#6 due in August), a sweet GSD named Bella, a black lab named Toby, and 1 guinea pig.

Comment

That sucks.
      Veronica
      Mother of two ballerinas and one wild boy

Comment

That sucks. Keep trying. There are more opportunities in NYC than elsewhere. Keep your head up.
        Wife to Hand Surgeon just out of training, mom to two lovely kittys and little boy, O, born in Sept 08.

Comment

I'm sorry it is rough out there. When we moved for residency I worked part time for a while and waited over a year for my current job and I love it... hang in there

Wife to PGY3
          Loving wife of neurosurgeon

Comment

It does suck. I'm so sorry.
            Laurie
            My team: DH (anesthesiologist), DS (9), DD (8)

Comment

Originally posted by marciaquezada View Post
              I can't help, but feel depressed on the current job market situation. I currently work in Retail FT.., but cant seem to get out of it. Had an interview at an amazing publishing co in NYC and was turned down. I have applied to various tech start ups in the city and NOTHIN'. I have a future husband to support, a wedding to plan (..if that..) and student loans to chip away.. It all makes me depressed..
              Big hugs! Why type of job do you want to get?
              Wife to PGY5. Mommy to baby girl born 11/2009. Cat mommy since 2002
              "“If you don't know where you are going any road can take you there”"

Comment

I TOTALLY relate to this thread. My job was eliminated back in April and, though I have enjoyed the time off, I am seriously disenchanted with the job market in its entirety. There seems to be no reason why I wouldn't be a decent candidate for the positions I'm applying to, yet I still only hear back from about 1 in 10 applications. I've even been told my MBA hurts me more than it helps me! Awesome. So glad I went through grad school for this. *sigh*

Good luck to you!
                wife of a PGY-2 anesthesiology resident & mother of one adorable baby girl

Comment

try to mass apply to every company in nyc. you might get lucky.. i suggest spamming monster job site and indeed website.

Comment

Have someone look at your resume. Perhaps it's how it's written? Also, 99% of the jobs these days are online applications. Make sure that you actually take the time to complete them, correctly or the computer algorithms will toss your application before you even get a foot in the door.

And honestly, in most big cities- it's who you know that will get you in the door. If you REALLY want to work in a particular industry then you need to be a part of the industry. Find management groups or related volunteer organizations. Network through alumni groups (undergrad and grad). Make sure you're a member of any related associations and even those that may not be related- League of Women Voters, etc.

What you absolutely cannot do is sit back and wait for people to find you. That's never going to work, especially in NYC which has an aggressive culture to start.

Good luck-

Jenn

Comment

Yeah, the "networking" suggestion is frustrating, but it really is necessary. One thing I've had some success with is tracking down people who do what you want to do and inviting them out to a lunch where you can pick their brains about how they got to where they are. It serves the added benefit of getting you a contact in your chosen field.
                      - Eric: Husband to PGY3 Neuro

Comment

Originally posted by reciprocity View Post
                        Yeah, the "networking" suggestion is frustrating, but it really is necessary. One thing I've had some success with is tracking down people who do what you want to do and inviting them out to a lunch where you can pick their brains about how they got to where they are. It serves the added benefit of getting you a contact in your chosen field.
                        This is how I ended up with my gig. Granted, it took two years but I finally got my foot in the door. Actually, it has been through contacts and networking that I have gotten my last three jobs.

It may feel futile but creating these contacts do pay off....sometimes years down the road.
                        Finally - we are finished with training! Hello real world!!

Comment

Maybe things have changed but I've always felt that in NYC you could get places and move up without all the networking. Worked for me. In other cities where I've lived its definitely been who you know, not what you know or how awesome you are.
                          Wife to Hand Surgeon just out of training, mom to two lovely kittys and little boy, O, born in Sept 08.

Comment

Working...
                          X