Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Help!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help!

There's a really infuential clinician at the vet school...he's a surgeon and I want a surgery residency. I need to talk to him to get myself known and to better my chances when I apply for a residency.

The problem?

I have a crush on him and he makes me really nervous. I'm a nervous blusher as it is, and I get really flushed....embarassingly so. He's probably in his mid 40s with this really sexy salt and pepper hair and a dashing smile. It's so cheesy....Russ thinks I'm ridiculous....but I don't know how to talk to him...or what to say....and how will I ever be able to work with him if I even get the residency?

Anyone have and words of wisdom? Any one know of any meds or tricks to stop my blushing?
    Mom of 3, Veterinarian

I say just go for it!!!! If you blush you blush, it will pass. Good luck.
    Luanne
    Luanne
    wife, mother, nurse practitioner

"You have not converted a man because you have silenced him." (John, Viscount Morely, On Compromise, 1874)

Comment

I realize that wasn't very helpful, sorry. I also blush easily and it drives me crazy.
      Luanne
      Luanne

"You have not converted a man because you have silenced him." (John, Viscount Morely, On Compromise, 1874)

Comment

Another blusher here.

Is there any way you could work with the guy on something....maybe the "glamour" would wear off if you were around him more and that would help your nervousness?

Just a thought.

Or imagine him in the throes of the stomach flu.

Sally
        Wife of an OB/Gyn, mom to three boys, middle school choir teacher.

"I don't know when Dad will be home."

Comment

I blush easily also, and have never been able to control it! I hate that! I say go for it, too, and hopefully the blushing will wear off after awhile. I'd say to picture him in his underwear (like they suggest for nervous speakers) but if he is a hottie, that might make it worse for you!
          Awake is the new sleep!

Comment

Or imagine him in the throes of the stomach flu.
            That was awesome, Sally....you had me laughing....maybe the glamour would wear off then....
            Mom of 3, Veterinarian

Comment

Michelle,

I hear your pain. I'm also a blusher...and my neck and chest get all blotchy when I'm nervous.

I can honestly say that the best way that I handle this is to practice it beforehand. You're going to have to talk yourself into realizing that you're the best damned vet student around...and make yourself believe it..at least in little 10 minute bursts.

I have to really pump myself up before I go into a meeting with the dept. chair or dean....and let me just be honest here...when the dept. chair walked into my labs while I was talking I was known to turn 3 shades of red, my voice shook and I sweat through my clothes....~sigh~

So..I have been working on not blushing as much by trying to make myself feel more confident.

At the end of the day, you might think this guy is the greatest...but just keep in mind that you are only able to judge him on one small part of who he is..he puts his pants on one leg at a time, fights with his wife, etc, etc....Don't make the mistake of putting him up on a pedastal that he doesn't belong on

Another trick...I apply a light base to my face, neck and neckline if I know I'll be in a situation where I'll likely blush....I don't know that it helps much..but I feel like it does (placebo effect).

At the end of hte day, if you blush, you blush...things get worse when we get preoccupied by our blushing.....

Start practicing what you want to say to this guy, do it in front of a mirror, on your way to school in the am....keep at it until you feel confident, have no more butterflies and are ready to 'take him on'.

and

Go For It!

kris
              ~Mom of 5, married to an ID doc
              ~A Rolling Stone Gathers No Moss

Comment

Take a swig of brandy or NyQuil before seeing him. Calms the nerves and you can always blame it on the medicine.

Comment

LOL, Thu Van you really do make me laugh.
                  Luanne
                  Luanne

Comment

Thanks, Luanne, you're a real sweetie..

After a little more reflection, I thought, what the hell, just plant a big wet one on him and get the tension over with - with Russ' okay of course.

Comment

I love you guys! ThuVan....ha ha!
                      Mom of 3, Veterinarian

Comment

Working...
                      X