Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

I had a great day <brag>

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I had a great day <brag>

This is a total brag....I just want to be able to talk about something good related to my classes. I've been such a downer lately when it comes to talking about my studies. One of the reasons for that is my absolute fear of not being able to work in the field. I have been afraid that my social anxiety/introversion really would get in the way of me being able to do any type of counseling. As a consequence of that, I really started picking apart the program and whether or not I wanted to do it, etc. I've been feeling better about my studies lately because I have a great ethics prof who has talked with us so much about the profession, our choices, etc.

Anyway, I digress...

I got up this morning at 5:45am (waah!) and made the early morning trek out to the Cities for class. Tuesdays is group therapy and part of the class involves an experiential component where we are broken up into a group and have to actually practice being therapists leading a group. We do this is sets of two (co-therapists).

I have avoided going as the therapist because, well, anxiety and fear ....

I decided to get past it today and volunteered to be one of the group leaders. She and I really clicked with each other while we stood in the hallway waiting for the group to come up with their topics of discussion. Then we went back in. I opened up the group by referencing a confrontation that had happened during the last meeting and we just sort of took off from there.

At first, my face was red and I was actually shaking. I know. I'm such a spaz.

It went so well though. I just couldn't believe it.

At the end, one of the group members thanked me for my calm presence and how well I led through difficult topics. It made my year. It made me feel like I can do this. I can learn this. It made me so happy!

OK...silly brag ... but I feel so good about myself today. LOL
    ~Mom of 5, married to an ID doc
    ~A Rolling Stone Gathers No Moss

Eep! That's so exciting. I had my first photography session and I couldn't even tell the mom which way to turn. My mouth felt like cotton. I can't imagine leading group therapy! I'm in awe!!!

Go you!!!!
    -Ladybug

Comment

Yay, thanks for sharing such a positive update!! I'm sure that gave you a big boost of confidence!
      Married to a Urology Attending! (that is an understated exclamation point)
      Mama to C (Jan 2012), D (Nov 2013), and R (April 2016). Consulting and homeschooling are my day jobs.

Comment

Not a silly brag, at all. It's a breakthrough for you and a huge one at that. Yay!!

Comment

That's fantastic Kris! Yay you!
          Finally - we are finished with training! Hello real world!!

Comment

I'm so happy for you Kris!!!! I'm also not surprised at all, you're going to be awesome!!!!
            Tara
            Married 20 years to MD/PhD in year 3 of MFM fellowship. SAHM to five wonderful children (#6 due in August), a sweet GSD named Bella, a black lab named Toby, and 1 guinea pig.

Comment

What a great update!! You're going to be awesome!
              Laurie
              My team: DH (anesthesiologist), DS (9), DD (8)

Comment

thanks guys!

Comment

Dude, you've been my therapist for years. You have extensive experience in counseling. Why are you questioning yourself?
                  In my dreams I run with the Kenyans.

Comment

Originally posted by houseelf View Post
                    dude, you've been my therapist for years. You have extensive experience in counseling. Why are you questioning yourself?
                    lol

Comment

Working...
                    X